Lobster Roll in CT | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
now that is a self'ing

Im waiting for someone to take down Maine. Because with their seafood resources they should be stomping all over the country, but they suck. If you put CT taste sensibilities with Maine seafood resources it would be a trillion dollar industry. But Maine like in everything else, just fails. It is due to inbreeding.

Their Lobster rolls suck, even though they cornered the market on lobster. And as far as Fried Clams, whole bellies, scallops, oysters, and what not. Its laughable. Frickin Lenny and Joes is better than any crappy place in Maine. And you pay TWICE as much up there in Custyland. When Im in traffic on 95 in Old Lyme everyday in the summer watching all these PA,NY,NJ idiots clogging up my road trying to get to maine, the only solace I take is that they will come home next weekend bankrupt after buying a clam strip plate in KIttery.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Im waiting for someone to take down Maine. Because with their seafood resources they should be stomping all over the country, but they suck. If you put CT taste sensibilities with Maine seafood resources it would be a trillion dollar industry. But Maine like in everything else, just fails. It is due to inbreeding.

Their Lobster rolls suck, even though they cornered the market on lobster. And as far as Fried Clams, whole bellies, scallops, oysters, and what not. Its laughable. Frickin Lenny and Joes is better than any crappy place in Maine. And you pay TWICE as much up there in Custyland. When Im in traffic on 95 in Old Lyme everyday in the summer watching all these PA,NY,NJ idiots clogging up my road trying to get to maine, the only solace I take is that they will come home next weekend bankrupt after buying a clam strip plate in KIttery.
My parents returned to Maine last summer. They had a similar take as yours. Maine seafood = pathetic scam.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Nova Scotia is the call. They know how to do it right.

But Maine does produce outstanding oysters.

August_West

Reaction Score
Nova Scotia is the call. They know how to do it right.

But Maine does produce outstanding oysters.
So does Noank. And I can buy 50 oysters for 30 bucks every friday when they open their wholesale to public for a couple hours.

So do the ponds in southern RI. They are doing wonderful stuff there with their aquaculture Oyster varieties.

Paying 4.50 an oyster in Maine? Highway robbery. You pay that in Vineyard too, but no one will ever confuse Edgartown with some jerkwater Maine hellhole.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was watching a Food Paradise show centered on "Late-Nite Eats" and they had an NYC bar bragging about serving both kinds of lobster rolls. The bar guy says, "Maine served warm with butter and Connecticut served with mayo." I sent 'em an email setting them straight but never heard back.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So does Noank. And I can buy 50 oysters for 30 bucks every friday when they open their wholesale to public for a couple hours.

So do the ponds in southern RI. They are doing wonderful stuff there with their aquaculture Oyster varieties.

Paying 4.50 an oyster in Maine? Highway robbery. You pay that in Vineyard too, but no one will ever confuse Edgartown with some jerkwater Maine hellhole.
I don't go to Maine for them; I buy them at the oyster places here and in MA and NYC. Usually $3.00 to $3.50 per in a restaurant, but they have great deals direct from the suppliers if you want to have them ship you $50+.

I like the Noank and RI ones and eat them often, but I am a the-colder-the-water-the-better-the-oyster guy and to my palate the ones I've had from John's River and Damariscotta in Maine are just better.

My problem with the bulk orders is that I am the only one among my family and friends who knows how to shuck, and I am not shucking more than two dozen at a time anymore. My back kills and it's too much hassle.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Their lobster rolls are literally the same as everywhere else. So is their fried food.

Make more money if you want to play in fried food big leagues - this isn’t a game for paupers. Your post was stupid.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't go to Maine for them; I buy them at the oyster places here and in MA and NYC. Usually $3.00 to $3.50 per in a restaurant, but they have great deals direct from the suppliers if you want to have them ship you $50+.

I like the Noank and RI ones and eat them often, but I am a the-colder-the-water-the-better-the-oyster guy and to my palate the ones I've had from John's River and Damariscotta in Maine are just better.

My problem with the bulk orders is that I am the only one among my family and friends who knows how to shuck, and I am not shucking more than two dozen at a time anymore. My back kills and it's too much hassle.

You are a candy ass.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Copps Island all the way here in Norwalk. 100 for $50 at Blooms. I learned to shuck in NOLA, just go through knives quick. If you can't shuck, find a grill, clarified butter, garlic and bacon (3/4 cooked). Grill until they open, hit with everything (a sprinkle of Pecarino Romano optional), until it all bubbles. Serve with lots of napkins and cold, cold beer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Copps Island all the way here in Norwalk. 100 for $50 at Blooms. I learned to shuck in NOLA, just go through knives quick. If you can't shuck, find a grill, clarified butter, garlic and bacon (3/4 cooked). Grill until they open, hit with everything (a sprinkle of Pecarino Romano optional), until it all bubbles. Serve with lots of napkins and cold, cold beer.
I love to char grill them Drago’s style, but I shuck them first and usually only use Bluepoints or the like for that, because I like the really good and tasty ones raw too much. And chargrilling is better for bigger oysters, but we don’t get those monster Gulf oysters here (and those I never eat raw, but I’ll eat them cooked a hundred different ways).

August_West

Reaction Score
Their lobster rolls are literally the same as everywhere else. So is their fried food.

Make more money if you want to play in fried food big leagues - this isn’t a game for paupers. Your post was stupid.

Maine Custy I take it?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maine Custy I take it?
Remember there used to be a legendary all-you-can-eat seafood buffet in Rhode Island named Custy's?

40+ years ago, it used to be a huge family event to go there once a year. As soon as we left, we'd start planning our eating strategy for the next year.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Remember there used to be a legendary all-you-can-eat seafood buffet in Rhode Island named Custy's?

40+ years ago, it used to be a huge family event to go there once a year. As soon as we left, we'd start planning our eating strategy for the next year.

Now there's a place called Nordic Lodge in Charlestown, same deal as Custy's, all you can eat lobster buffet (plus all the other filler stuff, including prime rib). $125 per person. I seem to remember at Custy's, all the lobsters were culls. Didn't matter, tail, claw, knuckle, move on to the next.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'd never been, but I first heard of here on BY. It only closed 10 years ago.

August_West

Reaction Score

Yup!

LOVED that place,

Andre the Giant went through 112 lobsters are some such craziness there.

Reaction Score

40+ years ago, it used to be a hug
e family event to go there once a year. As soon as we left, we'd start planning our eating strategy for the next year.
Many, many years ago, we sat next to a table of URI football players at Custy's. Looked like linemen. Remember them celebrating their 100th lobster (one claw culls). Back then Custy's allowed one lobster and 4 stuffed shrimp per trip to the buffet table. Also served steamship round among other meat offerings. We noticed they always had a piece of fruit on their plates to cleanse the pallet.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Andre the Giant went through 112 lobsters are some such craziness there.

100051207_10222688433095577_4957091621993709568_n.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What do I know. I come from the other end of the state where we think lobster rolls are stupid and where Andre the Giant only drank beer :D
I recall a bio-doc stating that he self-medicated his backpain with a 5th of vodka daily and it barely gave him a buzz.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I recall a bio-doc stating that he self-medicated his backpain with a 5th of vodka daily and it barely gave him a buzz.
I worked right next door to WWF HQ when they were still on Summer St. I never saw Andre at any Stamford bars though. He used to frequent Oliver's in White Plains, where I hung out occasionally as I lived in PC then, and was known to down two cases of Heines on a "normal" night.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
My parents returned to Maine last summer. They had a similar take as yours. Maine seafood = pathetic scam.
ur on to something here. i like Maine very much, and spend time at kbunk (hehe 'k-bunk' -lotta truth to that one too.), tho not much this season so far. walkin around town there for years, im always like 'what's wrong with u people? as if the chow here isn't bad enuf (i prefer that semi diner place in town), when r u folks gonna get on the pizza train? mg's pal tried to open a joint "Pizza with a Purpose' but got shot down by zoning cuz it was an old building, and they were sketched cuz the oven was going to be wood-fired. the 'purpose' was a play on words for their 'porpoise' thing. and, being from Connecticut, that girl is all crunch city, ya know, gluten free, vegan, etc. i was like 'no sausage? no pepp? are u trying to guarantee no business even in a town with no za?'
the hotel across the street from the crib (world famous! yeah, for what? lousy food?) i had a nice incident there last year. for some reason, pizza and/or fried food call for a pop. so ordering sum fried fishdish there, i ask for a pepsi. *nigerian waiter guy sez 'sure.' i asked three times 'is it a pepsi? that's the one i like.' he gets a bit buggy, but sez 'yes sir, pepsi it is.'
and i remind him 'no ice, please.'
brings me a coke with ice, and lemon.
'what's this dude?' rarely, if ever, do i get into it with a waitperson (they're just trying to make a living, too) unless they're a total putz. this guy was a total putz, and acted like everyone should be thrilled just being at that joint. 'i live across the street jack, and only come here for that reason, certainly not this food.' most of the others up the street and into town are also bad, yet they sure know how to charge.
now, i don't want this guy to get in trouble, but sum boss hears him jawing at me. comes over, asks if anything wrong. i sez 'no,' but putzoid whines 'he called me dude!' and whined on. now, boss is way too invested, and instead of just walking away, he gets wonky trying to 'make it better.' another putz! 2 fer 2!
im like gimme a break, dude, whatever, yet being all up in this clown show, i say something like 'ya know, ur food ain't nothing to write home aboot.' (i guess that they don't like it when others settin around the pool and tables hear stuff like that. not my problem.) another waitlady, who we know pretty well, comes over, whispers to boss and waitguy something, and they vamoose, while she handles the table.
leaving later, waitguy is too close nearby, all glaring and flexing, so i just have to walk up to him and say 'in America, there is a yuge difference between pepsi and coke.'

*nigerian waitguy. there is absolutely zero help available in kbunk nowadays, and they're all freakin out, even tho many businesses have boosted their formerly miserly wages. iffn they had any brains, they would build some sro's or such so folks could make the move up there for the season. college kids don't come anymore, so some businesses with living space bus them in from foreign places.

on the udder hand, i do recall that bourdain guy once saying that the best restaurant in his life was some old house up there, with an even older chef/owner, also kinda moody iirc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom