Lobster Roll in CT | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Delicious lobster roll at the Blue Oar today. I ate half before I remembered to snap a pic.

lobster (2).jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You needed an article to let you know that you can put lobster on a roll without the help of a restaurant?

Could you imagine buying lobster roll ingredients from goldbelly?

OMG

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok we’re going to Ford’s for dinner this weekend. I’ve only ever gotten the lobster roll and Noank chowder. I suspect I will get them again but there will be more items ordered for the table and shared.

What other menu items do you recommend? Other entrees?

Who has done the Lobster Bomb? Worth it? Everyone I have seen get it ends up leaving the bread bowl, apparently because they are too full, which seems like a waste to me.

August_West

Reaction Score
Ok we’re going to Ford’s for dinner this weekend. I’ve only ever gotten the lobster roll and Noank chowder. I suspect I will get them again but there will be more items ordered for the table and shared.

Who has done the Lobster Bomb? Worth it? Everyone I have seen get it ends up leaving the bread bowl, apparently because they are too full, which seems like a waste to me.
Jesus my gf eats the whole bomb plus 3/4’s of breadbowl on her own.

You can do it. And 1000 percent worth it. Make sure it’s topped with the scoop of bisque. That’s the game changer

Reaction Score

You need to start preparing for winter hybernation. The Bomb is doable. And get the crab + lobster stuffed avacados!
The Ahi is good. Their other fish offerings are good and portion sizes on the French size.

August_West

Reaction Score
You need to start preparing for winter hybernation. The Bomb is doable. And get the crab + lobster stuffed avacados!
The Ahi is good. Their other fish offerings are good and portion sizes on the French size.

Crab and lobster stuffed avocados are fantastic appetizer. A go to

Reaction Score
Jesus my gf eats the whole bomb plus 3/4’s of breadbowl on her own.

You can do it. And 1000 percent worth it. Make sure it’s topped with the scoop of bisque. That’s the game changer

I totally agree with AW @8893. Love the bomb with bisque on top! I also just really enjoy bread bowls in general so I’m a little extra biased.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So we are also doing Blue Oar this weekend. Apparently they close for the season on Sunday. @Waquoit , @August_West and others, any recs? This will be our first time there.

August_West

Reaction Score
So we are also doing Blue Oar this weekend. Apparently they close for the season on Sunday. @Waquoit , @August_West and others, any recs? This will be our first time there.

Blue oar is a wonderful setting, and byob. I enjoy myself there every time. Their lobster roll is decent, ( not landing or fords ) the crab cakes are really good, but I’ll be honest it’s not a knockout meal. But it’s good food.

August_West

Reaction Score
What day you going to fords?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's BYOB so we bring nice bottle of wine. I loved the lobster roll I had this season. The fried catfish sandwich was excellent. A friend always gets the scallops when offered. The desserts look good. Considering it's the end of the season and the nice weather, expect a wait. Maybe go at a tween time.

Reaction Score
I always try the crab cake and calamari if offered and file for future reference because you never know.. Usually disappointed. There was a place in Middletown that had salmon in the cake. One of the very few times I sent something back and had it taken off the order.

August_West

Reaction Score
I always try the crab cake and calamari if offered and file for future reference because you never know.. Usually disappointed. There was a place in Middletown that had salmon in the cake. One of the very few times I sent something back and had it taken off the order.
It’s like “ boneless wings”

August_West

Reaction Score

30-35 years ago my brother and I fished a lot in sound. Back then you could actually catch a lot of Blackfish (great eating fish) and we used to (and its not really legal but we were kids) sell them "in the backdoor " of a couple chinese places. literally back door (heres 20 pounds, heres 60 dollars cash) Anyway thats the preface to the story, there was a pretty famous shoreline restaraunt, who asked us to save the Skates we caught (skates were , and still are to me , garbage but I know times have changed on them) , and skates were an unfortuante byproduct of blackfishing, for every 1 blackfish you caught you you catch 4-5 skates, drove us nuts. and I found out why they wanted them. They were "punching" meat out of the skate wings and selling them as scallops. Anyway, monetizing those pieces of garbage (we let them go cheap, but it helped with Blackfish bait costs) was shocking. Restaraunt still there.

Reaction Score
30-35 years ago my brother and I fished a lot in sound. Back then you could actually catch a lot of Blackfish (great eating fish) and we used to (and its not really legal but we were kids) sell them "in the backdoor " of a couple Chinese places. literally back door (heres 20 pounds, heres 60 dollars cash) Anyway that's the preface to the story, there was a pretty famous shoreline restaurant, who asked us to save the Skates we caught (skates were , and still are to me , garbage but I know times have changed on them) , and skates were an unfortunate byproduct of blackfishing, for every 1 blackfish you caught you you catch 4-5 skates, drove us nuts. and I found out why they wanted them. They were "punching" meat out of the skate wings and selling them as scallops. Anyway, monetizing those pieces of garbage (we let them go cheap, but it helped with Blackfish bait costs) was shocking. Restaurant still there.

I remember blackfishing in the Sound, too, though mostly went after Bluefish.

Once hit a school of them near Sandy Point in West Haven and followed the school all they way over to Brandford Harbor. At one point, we weren't even putting bait on the hooks, just threw the hooks in and reeled the bluefish out. By the end of the day, we maybe caught 100 Blues. I was 10 years old, exhausted, and cut-up from catching so many Blue and as we ran out of room in the well and left them jumping and stacked all over the boat. Sold most of the catch when we got to shore and brought home maybe 30 pounds of Bluefish. Barely made a dent in that supply before we had to throw all of it out after losing power for a week-and-a-half due to Gloria's the next month.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Blue oar is a wonderful setting, and byob. I enjoy myself there every time. Their lobster roll is decent, ( not landing or fords ) the crab cakes are really good, but I’ll be honest it’s not a knockout meal. But it’s good food.

It's BYOB so we bring nice bottle of wine. I loved the lobster roll I had this season. The fried catfish sandwich was excellent. A friend always gets the scallops when offered. The desserts look good. Considering it's the end of the season and the nice weather, expect a wait. Maybe go at a tween time.

Thanks for all the comments. I don't expect to get the lobster roll there unless it was reported to be transcendent, as I've had a ton of A+ lobsters and lobster rolls this summer and I will be going to Ford's on Sunday and Shell & Bones on Monday.

I also don't expect to get crab cakes there, as we've become totally spoiled with a daughter living in Baltimore and it's hard for us not to be total snobs about it.

At this point, if any of my seafood smells like seafood, I'm disappointed.

We are also fried calamari junkies, and snobs. Is theirs good? How about the chowder? Scallops?

Can we drink our own booze somewhere while we wait for a table? Should we bring chairs to sit while we wait?

What day you going to fords?
Sunday.

30-35 years ago my brother and I fished a lot in sound. Back then you could actually catch a lot of Blackfish (great eating fish) and we used to (and its not really legal but we were kids) sell them "in the backdoor " of a couple chinese places. literally back door (heres 20 pounds, heres 60 dollars cash) Anyway thats the preface to the story, there was a pretty famous shoreline restaraunt, who asked us to save the Skates we caught (skates were , and still are to me , garbage but I know times have changed on them) , and skates were an unfortuante byproduct of blackfishing, for every 1 blackfish you caught you you catch 4-5 skates, drove us nuts. and I found out why they wanted them. They were "punching" meat out of the skate wings and selling them as scallops. Anyway, monetizing those pieces of garbage (we let them go cheap, but it helped with Blackfish bait costs) was shocking. Restaraunt still there.

Yep, we're scallop fanatics, too. For the past few years Mrs. 8893 had an in with the woman who managed the seafood dept. at our local S&S and she would give her the high sign when she should get the scallops. She would stock up and we would freeze them and we had a great streak of outrageously great scallop meals. Welp, the woman left a few weeks ago to take over the seafood dept. at the Old Saybrook S&S and now we are left playing Russian Roulette. Just this week we got our first duds and I told her that they were skate wings. I really think they were. We literally threw our dinner in the trash.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sold most of the catch when we got to shore and brought home maybe 30 pounds of Bluefish. Barely made a dent in that supply before we had to throw all of it out after losing power for a week-and-a-half due to Gloria's the next month.
Oh, no.

The horror.

That's about 30 lbs too much of bluefish to begin with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can we drink our own booze somewhere while we wait for a table? Should we bring chairs to sit while we wait?
I think so, it couldn't hurt is my best guess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's about 30 lbs too much of bluefish to begin with.
I remember my father going out on a charter and bringing back a ton of bluefish. Thank goodness he came up with the idea of giving away a bunch of fish to anyone donating to the office's United Way campaign that year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom