Lobster Roll in CT | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
never had a lobster roll before for some weird reason, so going to get one today. Was gonna go to bills seafood...will this be a good lobster roll spot?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Right behind Lobster Landing in my opinion is Abbott’s

OUR FAMOUS HOT LOBSTER ROLL:
A quarter pound of pure lobster meat (more than is found in a small lobster) with melted creamery butter, mounded on a toasted bun. Our Hot Lobster Roll has repeatedly earned Connecticut Magazines "The Best of Connecticut" award!
Yes, theirs is also great; but I usually get a whole lobster there because they do a great job with them, too.

I think Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook is probably my runner up; also Lobster Shack in Branford is very good, too.

Had lobsters at home last night from Stop & Shop; at $4.99 a pound it was too good to pass up. Taste was very good (even better in my omelet this morning) but the shells were very tough, and what a friggin mess.

Which makes me appreciate the lobster roll even more.

SJ, the ones at LL are $18 now and I am good with one roll and one half of the sausage and peppers. And with the byob it's a great, reasonably-priced meal.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We got lazy and ended up at J’s Crab shack in Hartford...anyone been?

Reaction Score
Yes, theirs is also great; but I usually get a whole lobster there because they do a great job with them.

Had lobsters at home last night from Stop & Shop; at $4.99 a pound it was too good to pass up. Taste was very good (even better in my omelet this morning) but the shells were very tough, and what a friggin mess.

Which makes me appreciate the lobster roll even more. SJ, the ones at LL are $18 now and I am good with one roll and one sausage and peppers. And with the byob it's a great, reasonably-priced meal.
Was in Maine last summer and stopped at Red's were there was like an hour long line to fork over $27 for a lobster roll, no thanks. Had several great lobster dishes at other Maine locations and a bunch of great fried whole bellies, stopped in a brewery in Portsmouth, NH where they had a special for 2 lobster rolls for something like $18 total, got myself a CT. style and a Maine style. $27 for something served on a hot dog bun seems criminal.

Reaction Score
Bill's Seafood is really good. Stowe's in West Haven remains my favorite despite its wonky decor.

The only hyped up place on the shoreline that I've been disappointed with is Lobster Shack in Branford.

Reaction Score
I've never really understood the obsession with lobster rolls. At like $25 a pop and needing two of them to fill me up, $50 for a lunch with some lobster on hot dog buns doesn't really seem worth it.

Because they're absolutely delicious. $25 a pop is ridiculous though; I know you're making a point but I've never paid that much for one.

Price is part of the reason why I love Stowe's. Their rolls are $14 each (or at least were last summer, haven't been this year yet). Lobster rolls are a treat; my wife and I usually get them once a month Jun-Aug. Really good curly fries too.

Reaction Score
Because they're absolutely delicious. $25 a pop is ridiculous though; I know you're making a point but I've never paid that much for one.

Price is part of the reason why I love Stowe's. Their rolls are $14 each (or at least were last summer, haven't been this year yet). Lobster rolls are a treat; my wife and I usually get them once a month Jun-Aug. Really good curly fries too.
I'm seriously not embellishing, that's how much they cost. From just looking around at menus around Maine the average going rate seemed to be around $23, Red's was $27.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Was in Maine last summer and stopped at Red's were there was like an hour long line to fork over $27 for a lobster roll, no thanks. Had several great lobster dishes at other Maine locations and a bunch of great fried whole bellies, stopped in a brewery in Portsmouth, NH where they had a special for 2 lobster rolls for something like $18 total, got myself a CT. style and a Maine style. $27 for something served on a hot dog bun seems criminal.
I go to Lake Sebago ever August with my wife’s whole family. She had the great suggestion last year that we go pick up lobster rolls for everyone for lunch one day. 7 lobster rolls and a few pints of lobster Mac and Cheese was just shy of $200. Insanity

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lobster landing.

8893 is right.

But I just make my own. Making a bunch today. Paying 5 bucks per 1 lb lobster on the shoreline right now.
1 lobster makes a decent roll. You really want to stuff it use 3 lobsters for every 2 rolls works out to 7.50 each.

Making a good lobster roll is about the simplest cooking one can do.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lobster landing.

8893 is right.

But I just make my own. Making a bunch today. Paying 5 bucks per 1 lb lobster on the shoreline right now.
1 lobster makes a decent roll. You really want to stuff it use 3 lobsters for every 2 rolls works out to 7.50 each.

Making a good lobster roll is about the simplest cooking one can do.
Let me know how the shells are. Toughest ones I can ever remember last night. Needed the pickers too to get the knuckle meat, which is my favorite.

I’m always amazed at how much of the Lobster Landing roll is comprised of knuckle meat.

August_West

Reaction Score
Bill's Seafood is really good. Stowe's in West Haven remains my favorite despite its wonky decor.

The only hyped up place on the shoreline that I've been disappointed with is Lobster Shack in Branford.

I agree on Bills lobster roll. Very very good. It’s the best thing there in my opinion. I find their overall seafood offerings to be decent but not at the level of fish tale or Johnny ads, but their lobster roll is a win there. Slightly behind lobster landing . Only slightly though. Pricier though.

August_West

Reaction Score

You got custy’d

Reaction Score
1) Lobster Landing
2) Abott’s
3) Lenny and Joe’s? I love their lobster rolls.

Captain Scott’s and Bill’s Seafood are other good summer lobster spots.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We got lazy and ended up at J’s Crab shack in Hartford...anyone been?
This is almost backwards. After the fact, it's almost as though you are asking if anyone likes it, rather than telling us if you did. So, how was it?

If you enjoyed your lobster roll, then I'm happy for you, even if it may have been (or was) a lesser lobster roll when compared with other places mentioned.

It may have been 'good enough,' and cost you less in time and traffic and money.

I forfeited yoga on the beach before it got crazy sticky hot this morning in order to connect w/Lady Hans, set up for another air conditioner, and let my body wake up some more. Instead, I did a free yoga class 300 steps from home, with West Rock beautifully looming in the distance, and am returning home now on a nice neighborhood walk, with snap peas, zucchini, and baby red romaine lettuce from the farmer's market, and change from om my $5 bill.

The guy playing solo electric guitar in the background throughout was NOT the best guitarist I've ever seen live, but he was definitely a net positive. And I don't regret not driving 95 miles each way to sit on the lawn at Tanglewood this afternoon and listen to Ry Cooder and Emmylou Harris, even though Ry is in my Top 5 of performers I've never seen live who is still playing well.

PS - I've enjoyed my lobster roll the two times I've gotten one from the Lobster Hut truck in Milford, in case anyone has wondered about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom