Lobster Dinners in Connecticut and Rhode Island. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lobster Dinners in Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Captain Scott's is VERY good & without the hype of Abbott's. A bit hard to find, it is definitely worth your time. It's right next to the marina, you can watch the trains go by & eat the best lobster bisque on the PLANET!

Totally agreed!!! Was there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Avoid the fads, avoid the nitwit faux-science and avoid overthinking any of this. Everyone knows what they should eat, what they shouldn't eat and how often they can eat what they shouldn't eat without becoming as big as a VW Beetle.

Forget the complicated nonsense - it is strictly a physics/math problem.

More calories in than calories out and you will gain weight. Good carbs, bad carbs, proteins, glycemic whatever...taking in more energy than you expend will cause you to gain weight. (Unless you have a tape worm or something.)

1) Just use common sense. The fads and the like exist to sell books.

2) Don't go out like a house on fire. If you start working out 90 minutes a day and cutting your calories in half, you will last three days and then end up eating one of your kids in a hunger-crazed feeding frenzy.

3) I can't remember what my third point was, but it was better than my second point. I was building to a crescendo and somehow lost the mental thread.
True, at the end of the day it all comes down to will power. For most people that means managing cravings though, and in my experience the types of calories you are taking in can greatly affect cravings, as well as your activity level.

Reaction Score
Mystic Boathouse...I've been there before, excellent seafood and lobster.

Reaction Score
There is a place in Groton that many don't think of but the Oakwood Bar & Grille in the Groton Inn and Suites have lobster specials I think wed-sat and all you can eat prime rib on thu. You may want to give them a look.

Reaction Score
Abbott's is good, but WAY too touristy.

wth does touristy mean? People tourist in CT????

tumblr_m2iy9fDal31rntkg5o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a tip, you don't have to give up gluten, just don't eat a whole box! Besides, unless you legit have Celiac's, there's really no real evidence for gluten sensitivity. The guy who came up with the original gluten sensitivity hypothesis just proved that it's not valid. LINK So have at it!

My daughter has Celiac's so I've read a ton over the last 8+ years. As far as gluten sensitivity goes? Sometimes it's a soccer Mom who's on the kick of the week. Sometimes gluten just makes people feel lousy. Bloated, crampy, wicked diarrhea. It's a pretty simple experiment to do. You feel bad and have those symptoms? Stop eating gluten and see if it subsides. In some instances there could be a placebo effect....but I also don't think your mind can conjure up a bout of explosive diarrhea.

At the end of the day, gluten isn't really good for you and if you feel better eliminating it from your diet, it's not a bad thing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A buddy's long-time girlfriend was feeling lousy all the time and was finally diagnosed with Celiac's. She stayed away from the gluten and felt much better. She also a lost a lot of weight. So much so, that she suddenly had many more options. After a while she was his ex-girlfriend.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A buddy's long-time girlfriend was feeling lousy all the time and was finally diagnosed with Celiac's. She stayed away from the gluten and felt much better. She also a lost a lot of weight. So much so, that she suddenly had many more options. After a while she was his ex-girlfriend.

sounds about right. Seen it a million times. The old "better deal" switcheroo.

Reaction Score
wth does touristy mean? People tourist in CT????

tumblr_m2iy9fDal31rntkg5o1_1280.jpg
It's a lobster 'shack'. You really weren't expecting candles and candellabra for 2 in a dimly lit room, were you??

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Abbott's can be really inconsistent when its busy. Generally it's solid, but I've had a few meals there that were borderline inedible.

It was a shame that Skippers Dock closed in Stonington. They had the best lobster dinner (with sides) in CT. The owner just got tired of running it by herself. Something else moved in there, but I haven't tried it or even researched what it is.

Try the Venus de Milo in Somerset, MA (near the RI border) for baked stuffed lobster. The place looks like something out of "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" but they excel at that particular meal (made with Ritz crackers, of course)

Generally a restaurant can't do anything with a lobster (on it's own, not prepared as part of a recipe) that you can't do yourself at home. You steam it, crack it open, and eat it. Pretty straight forward . . .

Reaction Score
Abbott's can be really inconsistent when its busy. Generally it's solid, but I've had a few meals there that were borderline inedible.

It was a shame that Skippers Dock closed in Stonington. They had the best lobster dinner (with sides) in CT. The owner just got tired of running it by herself. Something else moved in there, but I haven't tried it or even researched what it is.

Try the Venus de Milo in Somerset, MA (near the RI border) for baked stuffed lobster. The place looks like something out of "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" but they excel at that particular meal (made with Ritz crackers, of course)

Generally a restaurant can't do anything with a lobster (on it's own, not prepared as part of a recipe) that you can't do yourself at home. You steam it, crack it open, and eat it. Pretty straight forward . . .
I'm sure we'll hit Abbott's at least once. It's only about two miles from our cottage and I love the atmosphere there. I heard the Ernie Abbott passed away and his daughter took over the business.

Too bad Custy's burned down. They were famous for their all-you-can-eat lobster dinners. Never went their but was always tempted.

Reaction Score

Generally a restaurant can't do anything with a lobster (on it's own, not prepared as part of a recipe) that you can't do yourself at home. You steam it, crack it open, and eat it. Pretty straight forward
. . .

Agreed. I prefer lobster at home where you can cook a bunch for the cost of one out. Whatever isn't eaten is made into lobster rolls. Plus it's such a messy meal. I always feel I need to shower after.

Reaction Score
I rented a cottage in Groton Long Point for the month of September and I am looking for a place to get a great lobster dinner. I am originally from Connecticut and my wife used to work at Abbott's so we will go there for sure. But I am wondering if there are other place nearby that we should consider.

Years ago, when I lived in RI, I used to frequent Champlain's in Narragansett. It's a drive from Groton, but a good day trip.

Reaction Score
Back in the day The Nordic Haus was the place to go in RI……..I think it's still around the price for "all you can eat" just went from 19.99 in the 70's-80's to like 75 bucks or so.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agreed. I prefer lobster at home where you can cook a bunch for the cost of one out. Whatever isn't eaten is made into lobster rolls. Plus it's such a messy meal. I always feel I need to shower after.

And don't forget about boiling all the shells for lobster bisque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom