LMFAO! | The Boneyard

LMFAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was the media Jedi mind trick...
Cal...wonderful...KY..talent...undefeated..
Becomes... These aren't the champions you want...silence.

Reaction Score
I have thought it pretty remarkable he's only managed 1 NC @ UK considering the names that have come through the program in the brief time he's been there. And in many of the tourney losses he's clearly been outcoached.

Reaction Score
I have thought it pretty remarkable he's only managed 1 NC @ UK considering the names that have come through the program in the brief time he's been there. And in many of the tourney losses he's clearly been outcoached.

Yeah because he can't coach. He's good at one thing and one thing only: recruiting.

Reaction Score
Hey leave the man alone he has achieved his goals of getting 7 kids into the NBA. And you know what had Poythress not injured himself like a clumsy fool his ultimate goal of 8 would have been achieved. Who needs National Championships when you can be the school who has the best players always losing the biggest game? ;)

Reaction Score
Im sorry but if KO said his goal isnt to win championships but to put kids in the nba id be ripping him for it and politely ask him to see the door.

Reaction Score
6 years, 5 Elite Eights, 4 Final Fours, 1 NC. 190-38. Man, Calipari is an awful coach. Just awful. Worst in the nation.

You have to weigh someone's success against the resources at their disposal. That resume is disappointing considering.

He's a great networker, a great recruiter, a great snake oil salesman. Coach? Not so much. He's a curator really.

Reaction Score
You have to weigh someone's success against the resources at their disposal. That resume is disappointing considering.

No, it isn't. It's the best resume anyone has over that stretch. Trying to say that Calipari has underachieved at Kentucky is ludicrous. If that's the case, who has ever been successful there? That's a better run than Pitino ever had. Certainly better than Tubby Smith or Gillespie.

Reaction Score
No, it isn't. It's the best resume anyone has over that stretch. Trying to say that Calipari has underachieved at Kentucky is ludicrous. If that's the case, who has ever been successful there? That's a better run than Pitino ever had. Certainly better than Tubby Smith or Gillespie.

I would say that depends on how you look at it. I agree he's gone deep a lot but with the best players in the country falling in your lap year in-year out, is not winning it all acceptable? Why can't you win it all every time you get to the FF or close? It's not the players, after all they all play in the NBA the next year and who else can say that? None of the aforementioned coaches had the 8-9 of the Top 25 or so kids on their roster every year. So yes, he's been successful but as a coach it would seem to me he has underachieved a bit.

Has he sold you too Bruce?;)

Reaction Score

I guess if you just look at everything in absolute terms and never apply any context, maybe.

Reaction Score
I would say that depends on how you look at it. I agree he's gone deep a lot but with the best players in the country falling in your lap year in-year out, is not winning it all acceptable? Why can't you win it all every time you get to the FF or close? It's not the players, after all they all play in the NBA the next year and who else can say that? None of the aforementioned coaches had the 8-9 of the Top 25 or so kids on their roster every year. So yes, he's been successful but as a coach it would seem to me he has underachieved a bit.

Has he sold you too Bruce?;)

Because by the time you get to the final four, all of the teams are really, really good, and they're all very hard to beat, even for a good coach and a good team. I loathe Calipari, but I can still try to be reasonably objective here. You can't say that the guy who has been the most successful coach since 2010 has underachieved. That's ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Why can't you win it all every time you get to the FF or close?
I respect you as a poster Mau, but are you serious? Nothing captures the "UConn syndrome" quite like that.

Best 6 year NCAA record Calhoun ever had was 15-3. Calipari is 22-4.

Reaction Score
Just remembered UK failed at going unbeaten and didnt win the national title because of a mediocre,hypocritical snake oil salesman who now doesnt coach for national titles. what a clown!:rolleyes:
What? Kentucky didn't win the National Championship? I must have missed that. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I respect you as a poster Mau, but are you serious? Nothing captures the "UConn syndrome" quite like that.

Best 6 year NCAA record Calhoun ever had was 15-3. Calipari is 22-4.

Are you serious? You want 22-4 and 1 NC or anything else and 4 NC's? C'mon do you believe him when he says "getting guys to the NBA is more important? That's not UConn Syndrome in any way it's reality. If I had a syndrome I would've been pissed off we didn't do anything this past year but IU like our pattern as a program and I am very patient. You really think UK fans who go back to Joe B Hall and Grevey care about his crap? It's impressive what he's done but he didn't do it with Bazz, Giffey, Deandre, Boat, Brimah. He has better players and can't win, don't listen to the freshman hype because at that point its all BS.

I respect you too as a poster (just an opinion and it would be the same if it were Roy Williams or Bill Self) but he gets there to the brink as a coach but can't get to the top and he should be happy? He may say he is but c'mon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you serious? You want 22-4 and 1 NC or anything else and 4 NC's? C'mon do you believe him when he says "getting guys to the NBA is more important? That's not UConn Syndrome in any way it's reality. If I had a syndrome I would've been pissed off we didn't do anything this past year but IU like our pattern as a program and I am very patient. You really think UK fans who go back to Joe B Hall and Grevey care about his crap? It's impressive what he's done but he didn't do it with Bazz, Giffey, Deandre, Boat, Brimah. He has better players and can't win, don't listen to the freshman hype because at that point its all BS.

I respect you too as a poster (just an opinion and it would be the same if it were Roy Williams or Bill Self) but he gets there to the brink as a coach but can't get to the top and he should be happy? He may say he is but c'mon.
No I quoted you on what you said about "not closing at the Final Four." And I threw in those numbers just for comparison. My reference to the "UConn syndrome" is that I don't believe UConn fans fully grasp how hard it is to win a NCAA championship, since we are 4 for 4. Here's the list of championships/championship appearances/Final Fours for teams with at least 3 titles:
UCLA 11/13/18
Kentucky 8/12/17
Duke 5/11/16
UNC 5/9/18
Indiana 5/6/8
UConn 4/4/5
Louisville 3/3/10
Kansas 3/9/14

What UConn is doing is crazy. They have 11% of the titles on that list, but only 6% of the title game appearances and 4% of the Final Fours. It is completely normal for great programs to falter in the Final Four. As I said, UConn is an extraordinary statistical example when put against the other great programs.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Recruiting: A+
In-game coaching: C

His recruiting is so good that it still nets him to being a top coach in the game, as evidenced by his absolute success (i.e. ignoring success relative to talent level). I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

Having said that, his in-game coaching compared to the greats is definitely sub par so when he runs into a guy like K, Pitino or even an inexperienced Kevin Ollie in a years where they also have exceptional talent, he's going to lose over 50% of the time. The problem for Cal is that even though not all of the great coaches will have exceptional talent levels every year like he does, at least one or two of them will. He's going to walk to the Elite 8 or even Final Four because he's not facing any of those teams in the first 3 or sometimes 4 rounds.

I would guess he wins a title in less than 25% of his final four years when all is said and done. At the end of the day it boils down to whether you would rather roll the dice on a coach that is a virtual lock for the Elite 8 every year but has a smaller chance of closing once he gets there or a coach that will build a team every 2-3 years and have a higher chance at winning the whole thing once it all comes together. We have had outstanding success with the latter of the two options but we've also been the exception to the odds.

Reaction Score
No I quoted you on what you said about "not closing at the Final Four." And I threw in those numbers just for comparison. My reference to the "UConn syndrome" is that I don't believe UConn fans fully grasp how hard it is to win a NCAA championship, since we are 4 for 4. Here's the list of championships/championship appearances/Final Fours for teams with at least 3 titles:
UCLA 11/13/18
Kentucky 8/12/17
Duke 5/11/16
UNC 5/9/18
Indiana 5/6/8
UConn 4/4/5
Louisville 3/3/10
Kansas 3/9/14

What UConn is doing is crazy. They have 11% of the titles on that list, but only 6% of the title game appearances and 4% of the Final Fours. It is completely normal for great programs to falter in the Final Four. As I said, UConn is an extraordinary statistical example when put against the other great programs.

You make a great point. But we will agree to disagree and yes I do realize how hard it is to win a title, I've watched most of them the last 45 years. But while our last 2 teams won NC's with wins in the FF vs Cal teams who were more talented without a doubt, I'm wondering why it's "UConn Syndrome" and not underachieving as a coach in those games? He was out coached and as a coach you try to put your team in position to win not come in 2nd or 3rd. So again I respect what you say and agree but only to a point.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
WHO cares about The SQUID?????????????
He does things his way and is good at it UP TO the time comes to put all the money on the line - I know he has won ONE but even a blind man hits the toilet once in a while with a full bladder.
Yeah he can recruit but who knows what the promises are.
I used to respect Kentucky but those days are long gone

Reaction Score
You make a great point. But we will agree to disagree and yes I do realize how hard it is to win a title, I've watched most of them the last 45 years. But while our last 2 teams won NC's with wins in the FF vs Cal teams who were more talented without a doubt, I'm wondering why it's "UConn Syndrome" and not underachieving as a coach in those games? He was out coached and as a coach you try to put your team in position to win not come in 2nd or 3rd. So again I respect what you say and agree but only to a point.
I call it the "UConn Syndrome," because if I remember correctly, only UConn, Kentucky, UCLA, and Indiana have won 4 consecutive title game appearances. And those other 3 programs did it in the pre-65 team era, UConn is the only team to do it in the modern era. There are 347 D1 basketball schools, and none of them have done what we have. What we are doing is not normal, and it is not fair to hold other programs or coaches to the UConn standard, regardless of talent.

Reaction Score
Calipari is not a good coach. Calipari is a great recruiter. If he stays at UK for the next 10 years, you have to think he will win at least one or two more championships just because of the players he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom