Liza Karlen? | The Boneyard

Liza Karlen?

Reaction Score
An article in the Hartford Courant listed three players still in the portal that the Huskies might be interested in. One was Liza Karlen. I think that Geno would be reluctant to take a player from another Big East team. He has a long history, and respect, for the Big East conference and it's players and fellow coaches. Which is why I feel that he might not make an offer to Liza. I'm curious to hear what other Boneyarders think.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
An article in the Hartford Courant listed three players still in the portal that the Huskies might be interested in. One was Liza Karlen. I think that Geno would be reluctant to take a player from another Big East team. He has a long history, and respect, for the Big East conference and it's players and fellow coaches. Which is why I feel that he might not make an offer to Liza. I'm curious to hear what other Boneyarders think.
Marquette’s coach, Megan Duffy, left to coach Virginia Tech

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why would it matter? Liza is transferring for her own reasons and it has nothing to do with UConn.
Geno would not be disrespecting anyone, especially Megan Duffy who left Marquette for greener pastures.
How many other players have transferred to a school in the same conference? Happens quite often I think.
IMO, if UConn has shown interest in Liza and she has not accepted by now, I doubt that she will.
But Liza is another player that I mentioned as a good pickup for UConn after she entered the portal and her coach moved on.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I think that Geno would be reluctant to take a player from another Big East team. He has a long history, and respect, for the Big East conference and it's its players and fellow coaches. Which is why I feel that he might not make an offer to Liza.
Ms. Karlen has, by entering the portal, ceased her affiliation with Marquette. If Geno were to extend an offer, he would not be pilfering from another Big East team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ms. Karlen has, by entering the portal, ceased her affiliation with Marquette. If Geno were to extend an offer, he would not be pilfering from another Big East team.
That isn't correct -- players are entitled to go back to their previous school even after entering the portal. I recall reading that KK Bransford at Notre Dame did exactly that -- entered the portal and then decided to return to Notre Dame.

Having said that, I doubt that Liza will come to Storrs, since her talents are duplicative of those of players already on the roster, e.g., Caroline, Sarah, and Morgan Cheli.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That isn't correct -- players are entitled to go back to their previous school even after entering the portal. I recall reading that KK Bransford at Notre Dame did exactly that -- entered the portal and then decided to return to Notre Dame.

Having said that, I doubt that Liza will come to Storrs, since her talents are duplicative of those of players already on the roster, e.g., Caroline, Sarah, and Morgan Cheli.
True but Liza has much more collegiate experience than the 3 UConn players and would be a great addition to the team in helping them learn from her.
Caveat - I don't really think that Caroline would benefit from Liza, if freshman Caroline is on the court next season. But even so, Liza would still be a good pickup for UConn (but don't believe it will happen).

Reaction Score
This is sort of true, but Liza is stronger than Caroline and, I suspect, Morgan, and she's not the outside shooter Caroline or Sarah are, and she's not as quick as Morgan. She doesn't fit the usual sort of need many think we have. Here's what she is: a mature steady player who could be counted on in crunch time, and we don't have a lot of those... yet. Really, just Paige. We really felt the need of someone like her in the tournament run. Once the veterans get healthy, we'll have a bunch of them. But currently we don't.

Reaction Score
True but Liza has much more collegiate experience than the 3 UConn players and would be a great addition to the team in helping them learn from her.
Caveat - I don't really think that Caroline would benefit from Liza, if freshman Caroline is on the court next season. But even so, Liza would still be a good pickup for UConn (but don't believe it will happen).
Hahaha! Jinx!

You owe me a Diet Coke.

Reaction Score
I don't know why we are comparing Karlen to Caroline, Morgan or Sarah. The more relevant comparison is to Ayanna and Ice. Karlen is a better rebounder than Ayanna, Ice, Caroline and probably Morgan. She is more a 4 than anything else, and our benefit in getting her is to upgrade the big backups behind probably Jana and Sarah.

Everybody on the roster is pretty talented but if you had to pick the biggest area of relative weakness, it is potentially having to use Ayanna and Ice for significant minutes. If that is your biggest weakness then granted the team is pretty good, but Karlen is proven at a much higher level than Ayanna and Ice have shown thus far. Those two would have to show a quantum leap, not just a little improvement to even get close to Karlen's level last year.

If we get Karlen at least we know we have one quality big backup when the season starts, and will get another who could play there in Aubrey later in the season. Right now we have two bigs who have unperformed expectations in their one season so far. I hope they do make a major leap, and they might, but for now they are the one part of the roster that could most easily be improved via the portal, but the options are going fast.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Are you sure that a player in the portal has a right to stay? What if the coach is glad to have an open slot? For example, what if Geno prefers to have Ms. Chen and some other transfer? Is he obligated to allow Inês and Amari to return if they didn't find a more attractive landing spot?

Reaction Score
Are you sure that a player in the portal has a right to stay? What if the coach is glad to have an open slot? For example, what if Geno prefers to have Ms. Chen and some other transfer? Is he obligated to allow Inês and Amari to return if they didn't find a more attractive landing spot?
Yeah, this. Once they go to the portal, I think they need to rely on the mercy of their school to be allowed back. No guarantees.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yep, happens more than you think

7EFA0C68-B30D-4771-B44B-A6DE8B7D7778.jpeg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yeah, this. Once they go to the portal, I think they need to rely on the mercy of their school to be allowed back. No guarantees.
Technically, since all scholarships are year-to-year, the coach can non-renew a player's scholarship even if she doesn't enter the portal. So, you are correct that the coach doesn't "have to" take her back, but then he actually never did have to take her back.

It's true that in women's basketball, it's rare for coaches to non-renew a player's scholarship if she wants to return, but usually teams aren't maxed out for scholarship slots, so letting a player return and sit at the end of the bench costs almost nothing. But when scholarship slots are scarce, I can imagine coaches having some conversations with players at the end of the season where they deliver the message that "you didn't get many minutes this year, and I don't think you're going to get any more minutes next year given who we have coming in, so it might be in your best interest to transfer to another school where you can earn more minutes." And I think most players would get that message and enter the portal.

But @Sifaka's statement that "Ms. Karlen has, by entering the portal, ceased her affiliation with Marquette" is not correct. She didn't burn any bridges, unless it was with the new coach at Marquette. I wouldn't be totally surprised if she ends up returning to Marquette if she likes the new coach and the coach likes her.

Reaction Score
I believe that the OP was exactly correct in that Auriemma is friends with and has tremendous respect for the other coaches within the Big East. He talks up their programs, how talented they are, how the conference is stacked with good teams, etc. He has also spoken out about the transfer portal, particularly the star players of his competitor Big East teams, leaving those programs. Geno doesn't like the transfer portal, particularly the "unlimited free agency potential for every single player, every single year". He has mentioned that if a player commits to a program, that he would like to see that player honor that commitment for four-years, with the exception being a fifth year (typically a redshirt year of eligibility).

The Big East had two really quality players enter the portal this year, basically the MVP's of their teams, both were seniors with the COVID year availability; Liza Karlen from Marquette and Emma Ronsiek from Creighton. I believe that Auriemma would have picked up the phone and called Jim Flanery if UConn's desires were to connect with Ronsiek. We will never know, she signed with Colorado State about two weeks ago. I honestly think Auriemma would have done the same and called Megan Duffy directly related to Karlen; simply picked up the phone and had that conversation. Almost certainly he would have done so with Doug Bruno from DePaul if there were one of his players out there, as those two are best friends.

So related to Liza and the respect that Auriemma has towards his fellow Big East coaches, Megan Duffy in particular at Marquette as that is the team Karlen is departing. As others have previously noted within this thread, Duffy left the Marquette program about two weeks ago herself! I don't blame her for moving up, taking the job over at Virginia Tech was a huge opportunity. But what are we talking about here? The need for a rival program to pass on a player if they are within the same conference out of respect for that rival program, even after the coaching staff had ditched the program? FWIW, Liza was in the portal even prior to Duffy accepting the Va. Tech job.

Marquette went on to replace Duffy with Cara Consuegra as their new head coach. Okay, who is Cara Consuegra? Well, she was an Assistant Coach there within the Marquette program. BUT that was several years ago; you see, Consuegra had also left Marquette for greener pastures! She had no loyalty herself, and now she has left that other team to return back to Marquette! As with Duffy, I do not blame Consuegra for taking a better job. But from a 'can't sign any players who've entered the portal, due to an unwritten 'loyalty' contract to the conference'?

There is no Loyalty in this transfer portal thing. Let's face it, there is very little loyalty in collegiate athletics anymore. Other than the fan base of a school, who will stick with their team through thick and thin, decade after decade, nobody within a program really has any unwavering loyalty!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
But @Sifaka's statement that "Ms. Karlen has, by entering the portal, ceased her affiliation with Marquette" is not correct.
Splitting hairs here: IF the new coach wants her back and if there are scholarship positions available, Karlen can request a return. The return requires agreement by both parties, the student and the school.

She most certainly did cease her affiliation with the Marquette.
WBB team. That doesn’t preclude renewing it. There is no entitlement.

…players are entitled to go back to their previous school even after entering the portal.
That is not correct. There is no entitlement by NCAA rules.
The coach may not want the player back and/or there may not be a scholarship available when the player decides she wants to return.

Reaction Score
Everyone on this topic makes great points! Mine is simple...if Liza Karlen wants UConn and Geno wants Liza and her 17.0 ppg I say make it happen and welcome Liza to the basketball capital of the world.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes but, her coming to UConn would hinder the young UConn players from gaining the experience they need without waiting another season.

Reaction Score
Yes but, her coming to UConn would hinder the young UConn players from gaining the experience they need without waiting another season.
Are you of the opinion that UConn would be best off if they simply did not fill the available roster spot at all?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom