OT: - Live Sports | The Boneyard

OT: Live Sports

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
There's a NASCAR race starting in a few minutes on Fox as well.

Reaction Score
This skins game has been fun, pure golf, no caddies, no huge bags. I feel like these guys should be pounding beers.
I think this would be great going forward.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Tried to watch my first NASCAR race today. Had a little action on it. Someone I knew wanted Hamlin and Logano so I sat on their bets. I just realized why it was both my first snd last time watching - it's just awful. Was going back and forth between that and the golf match - mostly golf. It was great just having the doors wide open, the beers going, and some sports action on the TV.

Reaction Score
Tried to watch my first NASCAR race today. Had a little action on it. Someone I knew wanted Hamlin and Logano so I sat on their bets. I just realized why it was both my first snd last time watching - it's just awful. Was going back and forth between that and the golf match - mostly golf. It was great just having the doors wide open, the beers going, and some sports action on the TV.
Have always had a hard time looking at Nascar as a sport.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's a weird track where passing is difficult. Not a great track to bring it to the masses. But there are other places where things are different.

I would recommend anyone who doesn't like NASCAR to pay attention to 4 races and see if you aren't hooked. Unfortunately, the next 4 races are at two tracks and won't help that much.

It's actually a great sport - it's an incredible effort to drive those cars for 400 or 500 miles at that speed while being so close together.

Just give it a chance.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It's a weird track where passing is difficult. Not a great track to bring it to the masses. But there are other places where things are different.

I would recommend anyone who doesn't like NASCAR to pay attention to 4 races and see if you aren't hooked. Unfortunately, the next 4 races are at two tracks and won't help that much.

It's actually a great sport - it's an incredible effort to drive those cars for 400 or 500 miles at that speed while being so close together.

Just give it a chance.
What are the best races? Are there “majors,” similar to golf? Is there a playoff?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I also feel like a NASCAR race is way better in person than on TV.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
NASCAR live is awesome. Watching on TV the first time is somewhat boring unless you know much about the racers.

I will take any sports, well almost at this time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It requires a different type of endurance and focus. Definitely takes a toll on the body but in that regard house painting is a sport.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, we have Memorial Day weekend coming up which is the weekend of the Indy 500. As a kid in the 70's that race wasn't even televised live. My dad made sure no one told him results (much easier to do back then) so he could watch the tape delay on TV. Race may have actually been shown a day later on Monday. Not sure.
Eventually I started going up to Stafford Motor Speedway and still enjoy going to the local 1/2 track where I live now.
NASCAR and Indy lost me at least 10 years ago with cookie cutter cars and cookie cutter tracks. I'm a fan of the traditional tracks like Darlington, Dover and Martinsville.
If someone wanted to get in to NASCAR I'd recommend Martinsville to get a feel for the closeness of the cars and intensity needed to focus for the 3 hours of contact and racing.
Watching a race at Kansas City?? Wake me up with 10 laps to go.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NASCAR sucks. I had my day following it a bit, had a good time at the races I attended. But it's heyday is long gone. It's boring and cookie cutter and most of the drivers are jerks. As a result, they've tried to add some juice by gimmicking the whole thing up with "playoffs" and "segments" that are all stupid. I still love how a member of the public can't get a copy of the rule book. Some "sport".

Reaction Score
Don't reply to much to any of the stuff posted, but I must on this one. I have always held that sports are the usage of physical skills on a team or individual basis. It is us against you or me against you and the best person wins. When you add in a car that is a significant part of the equation I do not view that as a true sport. The car is responsible if you win or lose in many cases. Like a person who enjoys hockey for the fights, I view the excitement of car racing in the fantastic wreaks. You can argue there is skill in driving a car at high speeds around a track for lots of miles and I guess there is, but that is more daredevil to me.

Regarding golf I view it more as a game than a sport. It requires very little athletic skills ( running, jumping, physical skills, etc) It is a game that can be played from 8 to 80 and requires a tremendous amount of practice to be good. Develop a swing, repeat it properly many times, and practice the short game and putting a lot. It is a feel game and it is fun and difficult to play if you don't do it a lot. It does not require being in shape to be good although flexibility is important. I play the game and enjoy the challenge, but it does not require the skills of football, basketball, hockey, soccer, or even baseball. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Don't reply to much to any of the stuff posted, but I must on this one. I have always held that sports are the usage of physical skills on a team or individual basis. It is us against you or me against you and the best person wins. When you add in a car that is a significant part of the equation I do not view that as a true sport. The car is responsible if you win or lose in many cases. Like a person who enjoys hockey for the fights, I view the excitement of car racing in the fantastic wreaks. You can argue there is skill in driving a car at high speeds around a track for lots of miles and I guess there is, but that is more daredevil to me.

Regarding golf I view it more as a game than a sport. It requires very little athletic skills ( running, jumping, physical skills, etc) It is a game that can be played from 8 to 80 and requires a tremendous amount of practice to be good. Develop a swing, repeat it properly many times, and practice the short game and putting a lot. It is a feel game and it is fun and difficult to play if you don't do it a lot. It does not require being in shape to be good although flexibility is important. I play the game and enjoy the challenge, but it does not require the skills of football, basketball, hockey, soccer, or even baseball. Just my opinion.

You make golf sound too easy because its not at all. Hand eye coordination is part of it so certainly not everyone can be as good as the pro's no matter how much they practice. Some could never even be decent at it because it is so difficult to repeat that swing you make sound so easy. It's not going to be at all the physical part of either baseball or hockey but there's a reason many amateur solid golfers were hockey players and may baseball players. Obviously some aren't in great shape at all but they don't win much. Most of your winners are now in solid shape, walking 6-7 miles in 90 and humid not the toughest but 4 days in a row on hills etc never easy. So just because you someone does it a lot means zero. You need some athletic ability to be really good like these guys and hit a 7 iron 220 yards where they want to. I think it's only like 16% of golfers can break 100. Of that only 7% can break 80. Somewhere in there is about .05% pro's or something crazy, these were a while ago so don't quote me but just points as to the difficulty of playing it well.

It's a sport to me but I respect your opinion as it can be debated like NASCAR I guess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Golf is a sport. I even think darts is a sport. Poker is not a sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom