OT: - Live Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Live Sports

Reaction Score
I do agree that the best in any sport are extremely talented at what they do. I could only wish I had those talents. Race track divers or golfers. I could never get close to 220 with a 7 iron because it requires near prefect
form and balance. Practice, practice, practice. Most of what you said is very true, just my personal experience was playing football and ice hockey when I was younger ( high school/college). Moving to men's softball in my 20's and early 30' and then golf later in life. I'm not that good, shoot in the 80's once in a while and mostly 90's.
That being said golf is hard. Hit the ball straight, long, control shots, and put it in a small hole. Requires lots of practice, practice, practice. If you play a lot you will get better at this game. Not always true of other sports.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bundesliga soccer and this golf exhibition. Not a bad Sunday

I was already a bit of a Bayern Munich fan, but honestly will make a bigger effort to follow and catch the matches now.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What are the best races? Are there “majors,” similar to golf? Is there a playoff?
There are definitely some tracks that are considered the big races and have more prestige. Actually, the first race of the season is the Daytona 500 and that's considered the biggest single race of the year. The Brickyard (Indianapolis) and Martinsville are definitely some of the bigger, more coveted races of the year. I really enjoy the road courses although like F1, sometimes you know how the race is going to end 20 minutes before it's over. Many people enjoy the super speedway plate races because you have 30 cars all going 200mph, 3 wide and all within 2 seconds of each other. Not my favorite because luck plays way too big a role in determining the winner.

NASCAR went to a playoff about a decade ago and I think they got it pretty well dialed in. I'm still on the fence about stage racing, however. There are periods or quarters or breaks in almost every other sport during a game/match, so I guess it's not so weird. I'm not sure that winning a stage in the first race of the season should have a significant impact on making the final race but it could. It would be like getting an advantage in the World Series for being ahead in some game in April at the 5th inning.

It's definitely a sport that requires skill, but as someone mentioned, the car makes a huge difference. There are only really 4 or 5 teams that have a chance at winning or being in the top 5 95% of the time. People who make the move from smaller teams to bigger teams are instantly more competitive. However, it still takes skill as Danica had some of the best equipment, teams and engineers around her and she never even finished in the top 10.

The focus and being fit are obviously important. Going 400 or 500 miles for 3+ hours inches away from other cars going 200MPH in temperatures that often exceed 100 degrees inside the car is not something most would be able to do.

I understand how some people are bored by it. You really have to get beyond the 'it's all left turns' and start to understand the strategies and the personalities before it becomes entertaining or engrossing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom