Live from Liberty vs Wings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Live from Liberty vs Wings

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Stat lines of newbies. Pretty good. Saniya had good reb/assists-TO , steals and +/-.

Z made more 3pt shots in one game than all year at UConn. :confused::). Played 30 minutes off the bench. More than UConn. :rolleyes:

Kia apparently very aggressive 6-7 ft in 6 1/2 minutes. :)

View attachment 31240

There's something wrong with these stats. The minutes don't look right for some players and they don't even add up to 200. :confused:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stevens looked loose and free flowing in those highlights. Quite frankly, she often looked stiff and unsure at UConn. Not sure what that means.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby played 18 minutes, zero points and 2 turn overs. It must be first game jitters, because that's not the Gabby we know.
Azura Stevens sure didn't have any problems in her first game. She was 1 rebound shy of a double-double.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Karlie Samuelson starting for the Sparks? That is interesting. :)

Edit: 3 fouls in 3+ minutes. :(

Well, Karlie became quite a sniper in the second half apparently. :) Really rooting for her to stick.

upload_2018-5-8_2-52-13.png

Reaction Score
Note in the video of Stevens...the put backs are over Marissa Coleman, not exactly her size, and three shots including both threes were with Shoni standing almost in the same area code as her.

She played well, but let's wait until the real games start before declaring her a sensation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Azura just canned her 2nd 3 pointer. 10 points in just a few minutes.
Wow. That's about as many 3-pointers as she hit all season at UConn.

Just kidding :) I'm happy for her.

Reaction Score
Note in the video of Stevens...the put backs are over Marissa Coleman, not exactly her size, and three shots including both threes were with Shoni standing almost in the same area code as her.

She played well, but let's wait until the real games start before declaring her a sensation.

Stevens also was able to move her feet and block a shot by Coleman out on the perimeter, I think she can play some small forward in the pros, Z, Glory, and Liz would make a big front line.

Reaction Score
Stevens also was able to move her feet and block a shot by Coleman out on the perimeter, I think she can play some small forward in the pros, Z, Glory, and Liz would make a big front line.

They are definitely going to try her there. They played her with Hamblin and Akhator at one point, with Hamblin and Thornton. Don't remember if she was ever in with Glory and Liz last night.

Reaction Score
I sure hope GOODWIN beats out Chang though I like both. First game GOODWIN +2 with 2 points in 9 minutes. Chang -13 with no points in 15 minutes. I like both but pulling extra for GOODWIN

'Loryn is a winner': Goodwin relied on faith to persevere through challenges, fulfill dream
You can't always get what you want. Goodwin was cut a few days ago, the same day as Natalie Butler. I'm not familiar with a player on Dallas named Chang, but UConn alum Saniya Chong appears to have made the team as they made a second group of cuts and have posted a roster of 12 players that includes #12.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That Chong is a survivor
She's a winner, too. The Wings improved by about five wins when she joined, and I think Elitzur Holon improved by at least that much this year over last. Two losses in four years at UConn. In no way am I saying that she's primarily responsible for any of that, but I also think she has a little bit to do with it all.

Reaction Score
She's a winner, too. The Wings improved by about five wins when she joined, and I think Elitzur Holon improved by at least that much this year over last. Two losses in four years at UConn. In no way am I saying that she's primarily responsible for any of that, but I also think she has a little bit to do with it all.
Chong got off easy with that bonehead play that hurt them in final seconds verse Ms State. She was not the person on the floor Conn wanted going one on one. Great play by Morgan William to cut her off and force the play. William deserves tons of credit for that. Very overlooked. Chong was not expecting William to be able to beat her on her way to the hoop. William made it look easy too. It wasn’t.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chong got off easy with that bonehead play that hurt them in final seconds verse Ms State. She was not the person on the floor Conn wanted going one on one. Great play by Morgan William to cut her off and force the play. William deserves tons of credit for that. Very overlooked. Chong was not expecting William to be able to beat her on her way to the hoop. William made it look easy too. It wasn’t.

I am probably in the minority but I really do not think the play was "bonehead". Miss St was locking in on defense and everything was being contested and it was a tough slog to get anything even partially open. When Saniya felt there was room, her instincts took over to try to get an open shot or at least a foul (something I hope she does more of with the Wings) which were both good bets since William was initially in poor defensive position which often happens if the defense is expecting you to run down the clock so they are not as focused early in the play. It was indeed an incredible defensive play by William who demonstrated remarkable lateral quickness. 9/10 times, the defense would n0t have been able to make a positive play.

On the other hand, if we played it conservatively (by the book) letting the shot clock go down to a few seconds or so, there was no guarantee that we could get a good shot or even a semi good shot and the ref's tend to be less likely to call a foul in that position. Therefore, there was a good chance we enter 2OT with a re-energized Miss St team. Not ideal.

I am not saying Saniya had this thought process but in hindsight, I think this falls within the category of reasonable risk.

Reaction Score
eebmg, I agree with you that perhaps Saniya's instincts did take over as there was a lane the size of Delaware to the rim. William recovered in time to take the drive away. In my mind it was not bonehead.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I just logged in a moment ago. It works for me. I'm watching the game. Phoenix up 12-10 with 4:12 left in the 1st qtr. Did you buy the League Pass? If you did, you should be able to view the game. If you didn't, you must purchase a pass for $16.99.
I bought the pass, but the page constantly asking me to Adobe Flash Player version 10.2 or greater is installed, which I installed already.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I bought the pass, but the page constantly asking me to Adobe Flash Player version 10.2 or greater is installed, which I installed already.

Try using another web browser. If you only have one, down another one. I like Opera and Firefox. Either of those should work for you. I'm watching the Mercury and Wings now on my Opera web browser. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
In Phoenix I'm watching the Mercury game on FSN, who joined the game in progress (mid-Q1) after the local Diamondbacks baseball game ended. The game is also listed on the NBA channel, but it's blacked out here - Fox must have the contract for this game in the PHX area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom