Live by the 3............Die by the 3 | The Boneyard

Live by the 3............Die by the 3

Reaction Score
Last nights game was a perfect example of the uncertainty of constant outside shooting. Hawkins and Jackson were throttled by Marquette's, while closing in on Sanogo, whenever he got the ball in the paint. Outstanding defensive plan by Shaka Smart. By contrast, UC's perimeter D had multiple lapses in second half. Several times they did not rotate to the corner, and gave Marguette open looks, in which they didn't miss, while, in UC's case they did miss. Potential tourney opponents will be looking at this tape, and devising a defensive plan to throttle UC.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of taking 2 threes to try to win the game down by 2. All we needed was an easy bucket to tie and go to overtime. Unfortunately no one can drive to the lane for an easy layup. I probably would have gone to Sanogo. But they insisted on taking a three. Oh well.

Reaction Score
We missed 3’s, they didn’t. They hit free throws, we didn’t. They played lock down D, we didn’t. Their scorers came to play, our’s didn’t. Maybe the bright lights of the big city was too much? I don’t know.

Reaction Score
We were 7/25 from 3. We hit one more last night we win. The fact that we missed 18 and still only lost by two tells me we played well in many other areas. I’m pumped for next week. We better take a full 40 minute beating to whomever is unlucky enough to get us in the first game.

Reaction Score
We missed 3’s, they didn’t. They hit free throws, we didn’t. They played lock down D, we didn’t. Their scorers came to play, our’s didn’t. Maybe the bright lights of the big city was too much? I don’t know.
lol.

This is how you describe a 2-point loss to the #6 team in the country when we had a few game winning shot attempts.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of taking 2 threes to try to win the game down by 2. All we needed was an easy bucket to tie and go to overtime. Unfortunately no one can drive to the lane for an easy layup. I probably would have gone to Sanogo. But they insisted on taking a three. Oh well.
They were the only shots open at the time.

Reaction Score
Tell me exactly what is off on my post? Did we hit threes? Did Hawkins score? Did our defense have lapses? Did we hit our free throws?

"They played lock down D, we didn’t." We played 2-points worth of difference in the defense. This is obviously an exaggeration. If our defense had lapses, so obviously did theirs, otherwise it wouldn't have ended in a one possession game in which we had the ball with a chance to win. They didn't score for the last 3:42 of the game...

"Their scorers came to play, our’s didn’t." It was a 2-point game. If you're judging that Hawkins is our only scorer, he was pretty bad. But, um, Sanogo had 19. And we found enough scoring to have multiple FG attempts to tie or give ourselves the lead.

All of your initial post reeks of over-exaggerated whining. If I hadn't known the score or watched the game, I'd have thought this was either a blowout in Marquette's favor or that we lost by 2 to a 13 seed. This was two top 10 teams playing a tough game and they outplayed us...barely. We can lament that we lost, but this is college basketball: when two top 10 teams play, a very good team is going to lose.

Reaction Score
They were the only shots open at the time.
And why is that?

1. Because we were clearly only trying to get open for a 3.
2. Sanogo was isolated one on one in the post.
3. We didn't take a TO to call out a play in the last possession.
4. Driving lanes were open because everyone but Sanogo was on the perimeter. We just don't have anyone that can drive. Except Newton but he goes into the defender and doesn't get the call.

Reaction Score
If Jordan gets hot, this team will win #5, plain and simple. We have the talent to make it to the second week, just playing our game. Then, if we can get some 5-9 from 3 games, we’ll be cutting down nets. It’s going to happen.

Dwell on the loss today, then get your swagger back boys

Reaction Score
"They played lock down D, we didn’t." We played 2-points worth of difference in the defense. This is obviously an exaggeration. If our defense had lapses, so obviously did theirs, otherwise it wouldn't have ended in a one possession game in which we had the ball with a chance to win. They didn't score for the last 3:42 of the game...

"Their scorers came to play, our’s didn’t." It was a 2-point game. If you're judging that Hawkins is our only scorer, he was pretty bad. But, um, Sanogo had 19. And we found enough scoring to have multiple FG attempts to tie or give ourselves the lead.

All of your initial post reeks of over-exaggerated whining. If I hadn't known the score or watched the game, I'd have thought this was either a blowout in Marquette's favor or that we lost by 2 to a 13 seed. This was two top 10 teams playing a tough game and they outplayed us...barely. We can lament that we lost, but this is college basketball: when two top 10 teams play, a very good team is going to lose.
I think you’re taking my post as whining, that’s not the case. Simply, if any one of these are different, we win. That’s all.

Reaction Score
Marquette is one of the best offenses in the country too (#6 according to Kenpom). We held them to 10 points below their season average. Definitely a weird game to try to put blame on the defense when we shot 60% from the line and 28% from 3.

Reaction Score
Last nights game was a perfect example of the uncertainty of constant outside shooting. Hawkins and Jackson were throttled by Marquette's, while closing in on Sanogo, whenever he got the ball in the paint. Outstanding defensive plan by Shaka Smart. By contrast, UC's perimeter D had multiple lapses in second half. Several times they did not rotate to the corner, and gave Marguette open looks, in which they didn't miss, while, in UC's case they did miss. Potential tourney opponents will be looking at this tape, and devising a defensive plan to throttle UC.

Expected value of a 40% 3pt shooter taking 10 shots = 12 pts

Expected value of a 60% 2pt shooter taking 10 shots = 12 pts

You take the open shots that your shooters have a high EV of taking.

You also realize that 3pt shooters open up the game for 2pt shooters.

It’s really that simple.

The title of your post doesn’t really match with your point in the post.

Marquette got and made more quality 3pt shots. We just didn’t make as many.

The 3pt shot is not going away. Appreciate the effect it has in the game. It makes it a better game.

Reaction Score
Some were lacking on the defensive end which was really disappointing.
On defense when he’s near the rim, Clingan leaving the ball carrier to stick with his man in the paint instead of helping out on defense. He should be standing his ground and keeping his hands up at the rim. Gave up 3 or 4 baskets because of this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, it was a two point loss to the 6th ranked team in the AP. We should’ve won the game, but it’s not like we were blown out.

“Maybe the bright lights of the big city was too much?“

confused golden globes GIF

Reaction Score
On defense when he’s near the rim, Clingan leaving the ball carrier to stick with his man in the paint instead of helping out on defense. He should be standing his ground and keeping his hands up at the rim. Gave up 3 or 4 baskets because of this.

lol please Clingan made them miss shots and made them back out on dribble penetration a few times. Not sure what game you were watching. Sanogo was horrid on that end so maybe you mixed them up.

Reaction Score
Lol, it was a two point loss to the 6th ranked team in the AP. We should’ve won the game, but it’s not like we were blown out.

“Maybe the bright lights of the big city was too much?“

confused golden globes GIF
Does it only count as .5 L because it was close?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
But, um, Sanogo had 19.
Sanogo had 19 but was directly responsible for at least 20 Marquette points last night. He was -11 for the game on floor and just getting torched on the bounce early last night and lost on helps and recovers for the rest of game. For such a smart, hard working kid his lack of defensive principle awareness really hurts at times.

Reaction Score
Both teams played horridly down the stretch. Marquette gave us many chances to tie or win. We gave them lots of chances to pull away.

We shot okay from three but they shot better. If Joey makes his 30 footer and Marquette misses their 30 footer, I think it's a different result.

The result was in the balance in the last minute.

Reaction Score
Our best player on a pure talent level is Hawk. He is a first round NBA pick in a couple months. We need him to be something close to that in big games. His talent is part of the thing that should set us apart from other teams. In the games at Marquette and last night he was a combined 3-19 from the floor including 2-12 from three (and one of those was a banked in 3 pointer). He was great in the home game at XL versus them. I read his quotes after the game and feel horrible for him. He has a sub par game rather than an atrocious one, we win kinda easily. I am focused on Hawk because he is the best player we have - the Ray, Rip, Kemba, etc guy that is supposed to be the guy other teams just can’t stop. Marquette stopped him twice. Hawk had open shots that he usually makes and nothing dropped - hopefully he comes back really strong this week as he closes out his time at UConn over the next month

Reaction Score
Love Hawk, and I don’t think you’re comparing him to Ray, Rip or Kemba, but he’s not nearly at their level. Maybe if he came back for his junior year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom