Liv vs Cox | The Boneyard

Liv vs Cox

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Just curious, which stats belong to the All American Senior and which Belong to the honorable mention sophomore?
Avg PointsAvg ReboundsAvg Blocks

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Didn't Cox have a serious injury and didn't play half the season?
Cox did have an injury that kept her out of action for about the first third of the season, but that has no effect on the per-game averages cited above. But those stats also don't reflect defense or passing, which are two of Cox's biggest strengths.

In the head-to-head contest between Lauren and Olivia in early January, Olivia definitely came in second.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just curious, which stats belong to the All American Senior and which Belong to the honorable mention sophomore?
Liv's is 10.9 - 8.5 - 3.1

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cox did have an injury that kept her out of action for about the first third of the season, but that has no effect on the per-game averages cited above. But those stats also don't reflect defense or passing, which are two of Cox's biggest strengths.

In the head-to-head contest between Lauren and Olivia in early January, Olivia definitely came in second.

Cox had 79 assists in 664 minutes. Protracted to ONO's minutes total, that's 100 assists. Liv had 89.

Nelson-Ododa had higher rebound and block rates, and shot 55% to Cox' 46%.

Cox' individual defense is excellent but overall it's pretty hard to argue she had a better season than ONO.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox is a stud and one of the better players at her position when healthy. Having said that, Liv just finished her sophomore year, and given the sophomore leap as well as how much she improved during the season, I would say her future is very bright.

I fully expect Olivia to be on more than 1 AA team by her senior year, maybe even sooner. I think she is really good, but also has lots of room for improvement still - watch out WCBB!!

Reaction Score

Lauren Cox is absolutely 1st team AA. Zero doubt in my mind.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Didn't Cox have a serious injury and didn't play half the season?
She missed the first 8 games. By the time she played Liv she had played 6 games

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cox was also a defensive standout usually shutting down the other team's top big.

How many top bigs did she face? She played 22 games and missed the one elite big she would've faced in Aaliyah Boston.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This thread and some of the responses are confusing me. The numbers are closer than I would have though but does anyone seriously believe ONO had a better or as good a season as Cox did? Someone would have to explain this to me and my optometrist because clearly my eyes have failed me.

Reaction Score
We also need to remember that although Cox played the five more than last year this season, she is actually a four.

Reaction Score
How many top bigs did she face? She played 22 games and missed the one elite big she would've faced in Aaliyah Boston.

Great point. I have to wonder about that 46% fg%. I watched several Baylor games and don't remember seeing Cox miss even one elbow shot.
Baylor had a worse RPI than UConn and a much much worse SOS, making comparisons difficult. But I thought Cox was the best post this year. So much for stat comparisons.

Reaction Score
Great point. I have to wonder about that 46% fg%. I watched several Baylor games and don't remember seeing Cox miss even one elbow shot.
Baylor had a worse RPI than UConn and a much much worse SOS, making comparisons difficult. But I thought Cox was the best post this year. So much for stat comparisons.
Eye test.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have to say Cox was 1st team AA at least partly based on reputation. Stats aren't everything, but her stat line just isn't particularly good. I didn't watch that much of Baylor. I hear that she is the best defensive post player in the country repeated often. I guess it must be true then? They overwhelmed most of their opponents with or without Cox. Smith and Egbo were good enough that they didn't seem to miss her too much while she was out injured. Scoring is modest, FG% well under 50% for a post player is poor, rebounding is solid but for comparison Pivec and Ionescu, both sub 6 footers, averaged more per game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I’d say Brewer was one of the better bigs this year, and she performed really, really well against Cox and Baylor both games this year.

Brewer had an incredible year. I noticed her constantly while checking up on Lexi Gordon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have to say Cox was 1st team AA at least partly based on reputation. Stats aren't everything, but her stat line just isn't particularly good. I didn't watch that much of Baylor. I hear that she is the best defensive post player in the country repeated often. I guess it must be true then? They overwhelmed most of their opponents with or without Cox. Smith and Egbo were good enough that they didn't seem to miss her too much while she was out injured. Scoring is modest, FG% well under 50% for a post player is poor, rebounding is solid but for comparison Pivec and Ionescu, both sub 6 footers, averaged more per game.

She's not a player that requires a lot of shots plus she looks to get others involved if the game isnt competitive. Cox isnt one to have a great stat line but she's the type of kid who will win titles because of how unselfishly she plays and always puts the team first. She's proven she can put a team on her back when needed and has no problem deferring to others when it suits the team. Defensively she is the best post to come through since Stewart or maybe even Griner. Outstanding shot blocker and just doesnt let others get going against her. Never needs weakside help for a double team. She thoroughly dominated Nelson-Ododa head to head so I'm not sure why this is a discussion. Rebounding she is very good, 8.4 per game is solid for a center who spends a lot of time in the high post offensively. Defensively her presence inside causes teams to take a lot of 3pt shots which lead to long rebounds that she isnt going to get. Her presence doesn't show up on a stat sheet for things like this but is a major reason why Baylor was one of the best defensive teams in the nation the past 2 years.

Baylor likely plays a much more competitive game against SC or wins if Cox is there. Egbo really struggled and Cooper took on too big of a load which led to poor decision making. Cox is a strong leader and wouldve kept Cooper's decision making in check while slowing down Boston. Aside from that game, Baylor was great without her but she wouldve made a difference.

I know it wasnt this season but I'm surprised you're low on her after she dominated Oregon a year ago. Was hands down the best player in the Final Four last year.

That said, her numbers werent great so I think 2nd team would've been an acceptable spot for her, but I'm glad the voters recognized her worth and all she brings to the table.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Comparing Cox stats as a Soph to Liz Stats as a Soph

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads