List Three Changes To Improve Womens College BB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

List Three Changes To Improve Womens College BB

Reaction Score
Better Refs, for sure. The shot clock works as it is. I don't want the nature of the game to change. Sometimes, moving forward is staying the same. Keep the 3 point line where it is. The women's game is a great game. Don't fix the things that aren't broken.

Reaction Score
1. Don’t allow transfers to play immediately
2. Extend 3 point to men’s range
3. Restore 1 and 1 at some point in 4thQ.

Reaction Score
There are some pretty good ideas here. Many I agree with. I totally agree with Geno on at least 3 of his ideas.
1. Make the 3 point line standard for everyone in HS, college, international. The Men's distance seems about right. To make it farther out the width of the floor would need to change.
2. Use the same size and weight ball in all games.
3. Make the paint area the same as international ball (trapezoidal).

Like the others here I certainly would like more consistent officiating. It seems the only way to do that would be to make them professional and paid by the NCAA.. Never going to happen. I also hate flopping like everyone else. Some teams make it part of there game plan (Arkansas?). If it was illegal poor Mir would foul out in a hurry. No idea how to do that as it would be hard to prove in many cases. I personally don't like the 1 and 1 foul rule. Rewards fouling. I do love that the women have gone to the 4 quarter system like everything in the world except for college men. (Sneaky way to get in a couple extra things).

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
1. Better TV coverage during the regular season
2. Better Officiating
3. Extend the 3 point line

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1. Call PALMING when a player does it
2. Call WALKING when a player does i
3. In the last 2 minutes of the game, if any player is fouled, she gets FIVE foul shots. This will stop the "crazy" fouls trying to stop the clock/or to gain possession.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
1. Start the season in January and have the tournament in April so the women have the focus on their tournament.
2. For goodness sakes, hire better referees.
3. Fewer scholarships = more parity.

Reaction Score
I'd like to emphasize the point made by Southofnorth, namely, don't bring back
the one and one.

As I've argued before, I consider it an aesthetic imperfection of the game of basketball
that you can gain an advantage by committing a foul. The two shot foul makes it more
difficult to steal a game by fouling.

Reaction Score
Teams must have at least one player with rainbow dyed hair and seeing-eye dogs for each ref who needs them...

Reaction Score
3. Reduce # of scholarships per team to spread out talent
No attack here @CTBballfan243 just FYI on title 9... Title IX - Wikipedia
UConn is already being sued by the rowing team over pending elimination.
UConn women's rowers file lawsuit seeking to save program
1. Call PALMING when a player does it
2. Call WALKING when a player does i
3. In the last 2 minutes of the game, if any player is fouled, she gets FIVE foul shots. This will stop the "crazy" fouls trying to stop the clock/or to gain possession.
Bata Boom Bata Bing! Could not agree with @Monte more. My first three thoughts to post but running late.
Palming has gone out of control and become part of some players game (Paige yikes) which is a shame. The ball held at 6 0'clock spinning in the hand while contemplating the next move. No attack on Paige as so many now do this and God knows that's the last thing I would want to do here. ;)

Walking is now optional with the pivot foot or double dribble. I saw at least three times in the tourny a player caught a ball dribbled once or twice, stopped, pivot, pivot and drive to the basket dribbling again with no call.

Not totally agreeing with five foul shots, it could be a method, but the problem is they have a rule and don't enforce it. Intentional foul! They call it during the game if a play seems to be intentional but never in the last couple of minutes when it is obvious. They grab, slap, bear hug and sometimes try to tackle, what is not obvious to the officials? There is no reason the last two minutes should take ten or more to play or the fouls to be called differently.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. Reduce scholarships to 12
2. move 3 pt line to international
3. same ball size

really easy fixes.

Reaction Score
Lower the rim. It would allow a more efficient inside game and increase the ability to finish.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is a really interesting thread. I've enjoyed the proposals and the reactions/counter thoughts on many of these, including:
  • Reducing roster size to 12, ostensibly to spread out talent and (possibly) cut down on transfers. Contrast: Title IX im/complications.
  • Go back to the one and one call once a team is over the limit. Contrast: Idea to is cut down on foul-fest mania at the end of the game. Has that truly cut down on that ?
  • Standardize the ball size in many age groups. Contrast: does that really affect college ball per se?

With those and others in mind, I'll go with:
  • Standardize the three-pt. line in WCBB. For college, keeping the same as the guys would make painting a college court easier to do and read for fans.
  • Improve officiating via hiring, training, retention innovations...whatever it takes.
  • Along those lines, can folks concentrate on the palming and travel aspects of the game. As mentioned, several prominent point guards almost "cradle" the ball in their palms at times. And Eurostep is a misnomer: it's Eurosteps.

Reaction Score
1. Eliminate the free timeout coaches get when a player fouls out. All players have to stay on the court and coaches have 20 seconds to replace a player.

2. 90 second limit on all official reviews, if you can’t decide if it’s a flagrant foul in that amount of time then it’s not one.

3. Contacting the ball with your hand at anything below a handshake position is actually a violation- eliminate the tremendous advantage the offensive player has by pausing the ball while dribbling by putting their hand under the ball.

Reaction Score
Take away video review!

More limitations on transfers.

Link non conference schedule to AP poll.

Reaction Score
1. Eliminate the possesion arrow.
2. Move 3-point line back.
3. Same ball as men.

Reaction Score
1. Eliminate the possesion arrow.
2. Move 3-point line back.
3. Same ball as men.
Good one. I forgot that I also would like possession to go to the defense who produced the tie up. Getting a tie up is a success for the defense and they should be rewarded for it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1. Eliminate the free timeout coaches get when a player fouls out. All players have to stay on the court and coaches have 20 seconds to replace a player.

2. 90 second limit on all official reviews, if you can’t decide if it’s a flagrant foul in that amount of time then it’s not one.

3. Contacting the ball with your hand at anything below a handshake position is actually a violation- eliminate the tremendous advantage the offensive player has by pausing the ball while dribbling by putting their hand under the ball.
I like the way you are thinking here. Coaches do only have 20 seconds (I think) to make the replacement. There is a time limit, I have seen a tech called for not promptly replacing the player. But I like not allowing it to become an uncalled time-out. I'm not sure how to physically manage that, though, as one team will probably be near their bench.

I really like the time limit on reviews. Maybe 2 minutes top. This isn't rocket science, it took less time for reviews in the recent volleyball tourney over touches, which are more difficult to see. I wouldn't particularly eliminate the limited items they go to the video for, although I could (maybe) get behind limited coaches challenges.

For your 3rd point, I'll go with being more consistent in calling palming (and travels related to it). I don't agree with someone above about the so-called Euro-step; there are absolutely moves that the announcers call a Euro-step that are not walking - but there are some that most certainly are. Just more accurate calling of traveling.

Of all the rest in this thread, little seems objectionable, although not all something I would call for. I would not be pleased to see players who foul out come back in - apparently in men's basketball they are looking at a 6 foul possibility - but with disqualification after 3 fouls in a half. Can't see that as a good idea in any permutation, either.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Extend the 3-pt line
Widen the lane (won't happen of course)
Reduce the shot clock to 24 seconds

I'd also like WBB to take a serious look at charge calls. Too often teams are rewarded for poor defense or no real defense at all. For starters, let's eliminate the charging call when a defender quickly steps in front of an offensive player who is running down the court without the ball. That's not good defense. Stop calling it and it will stop.

Reaction Score
Good one. I forgot that I also would like possession to go to the defense who produced the tie up. Getting a tie up is a success for the defense and they should be rewarded for it.
Just a heads-up from the peanut gallery.
I think one needs to always keep in mind "the integrity of the game" when talking about rules changes. A tie-up IMO is just that a TIE-up. Neither team has possession of the ball. Therefore, what the heck happened to the jump ball, which is the fairest way to resolve the situation. Jump balls can be complex game situations. One can even run a play off a jump ball. Geno did it a couple of times early in the season, with Liv tapping it forward and players fill the lanes for a fast break bucket.
If defense gets it automatically, that may affect how defense is played. Maybe more gambling to create tie-ups. The Huskies were playing GREAT defense at the end of the BE season and tournament, before Nika's injury. They weren't excessively gambling, I think they were pressuring, fronting the posts, and getting in the passing lanes, which are elements of solid defense. When Paige gets her "pick 6" steals, she's just attached to that passing lane for that long pass. I think rewarding excessive gambling hurts "the integrity of the game". IMO rules should be designed to reward the finest elements of the game.
Analogy: make the hole bigger in golf. May address some superficial need but ends up changing the game too drastically.

Reaction Score
This is an easy answer.

1) Make more than half of the college teams Division 1 Part 2. This would reduce the 64 team field to 48 or better to 32.
2) Add a fourth official since three can't get things right.
3) As mentioned by someone else. Same rules for men and women from high school to college to WNBA to International ball. Shot clock, ball size, court dimension, three point line. And for the heck of it a four point play if the shot is taken and made from the opposite end foul line area to that baseline.

Reaction Score
I dislike the idea that through an infraction of the rules, i.e, by fouling, a team can win a sporting contest which they could not otherwise win. As for basketball, I suggest that the team that is fouled have the option of either shooting the free throws, or, taking the ball out of bounds with a reset of the shot clock.

Reaction Score
1. Don’t allow transfers to play immediately
2. Extend 3 point to men’s range
3. Restore 1 and 1 at some point in 4thQ.
On #1...why not? Coaches transfer and coach right away. Wouldn't this cost the receiving school more money since you essentially extend the length of the college stay by a year for each transfer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom