List Three Changes To Improve Womens College BB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

List Three Changes To Improve Womens College BB

Reaction Score
Here are some changes I hope they do not make:

1. Allowing girls to go pro earlier. (As good as they are, they will develop better in college, both as people and for their careers.)

2. Allowing college players to earn money. (It will cause for more greed then good).

3. Allowing more freedom for transfers. (Not good for player/coach/program stability).

On reflection, maybe I have some communist like ideas, but it is for the greater good.

Reaction Score
1 Move the 3pt line back to same distance as the 'Men's 2. Use the same ball as the 'Men's. 3. Drug test for Final Four team's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
(after the women's coaches lobbied so hard for so long to get the smaller ball, I doubt "one ball fits all" will come back any time soon)

1. Do something about the allowed "step-thru" move. It's traveling, pure and simple. And it allows an offensive player to stagger steps in/around defensive players who often have position. The women's game is athletic enough not to need this rule adaptation in the lane.

2. Enforce the reality that a player can "charge with their backside" (ie. Courtney Paris style). "Backing in" to a baseline position on offense when the defender has clear position requires no advanced bball move.

3. Make all teams start a game with minus 10 points on the scoreboard if their team mascot is a plant, a neutered male animal, or a short little man who does nothing but dance a jig.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
(after the women's coaches lobbied so hard for so long to get the smaller ball, I doubt "one ball fits all" will come back any time soon)

1. Do something about the allowed "step-thru" move. It's traveling, pure and simple. And it allows an offensive player to stagger steps in/around defensive players who often have position. The women's game is athletic enough not to need this rule adaptation in the lane.

2. Enforce the reality that a player can "charge with their backside" (ie. Courtney Paris style). "Backing in" to a baseline position on offense when the defender has clear position requires no advanced bball move.

3. Make all teams start a game with minus 10 points on the scoreboard if their team mascot is a plant, a neutered male animal, or a short little man who does nothing but dance a jig.
The XYZ U Fighting Eunuchs?

Reaction Score
1. Have Bill Walton call all UCONN WBB games :D
A huge thumbs up for that! I watched the Pac12 Tournament (Men's) and rooted for Oregon State all through the NCAA. Why doesn't the Pac12 get any respect? Football either.
Bill's sidekick gets big props too for somehow keeping Bill from going over the guard rails (if you can call it that.)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I love Bill, he's such a character. I'd love to split a bottle of wine with him.

Reaction Score
Just a heads-up from the peanut gallery.
I think one needs to always keep in mind "the integrity of the game" when talking about rules changes. A tie-up IMO is just that a TIE-up. Neither team has possession of the ball. Therefore, what the heck happened to the jump ball, which is the fairest way to resolve the situation. Jump balls can be complex game situations. One can even run a play off a jump ball. Geno did it a couple of times early in the season, with Liv tapping it forward and players fill the lanes for a fast break bucket.
If defense gets it automatically, that may affect how defense is played. Maybe more gambling to create tie-ups. The Huskies were playing GREAT defense at the end of the BE season and tournament, before Nika's injury. They weren't excessively gambling, I think they were pressuring, fronting the posts, and getting in the passing lanes, which are elements of solid defense. When Paige gets her "pick 6" steals, she's just attached to that passing lane for that long pass. I think rewarding excessive gambling hurts "the integrity of the game". IMO rules should be designed to reward the finest elements of the game.
Analogy: make the hole bigger in golf. May address some superficial need but ends up changing the game too drastically.

Are you suggesting something like what the NBA has in place? That would be interesting, especially if it's held in the end where the jump ball is called. How they would handle situations where the ball gets stuck at the rim, or unable to tell who the ball went off of may need a possession arrow though.

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting something like what the NBA has in place? That would be interesting, especially if it's held in the end where the jump ball is called. How they would handle situations where the ball gets stuck at the rim, or unable to tell who the ball went off of may need a possession arrow though.
Yes, us old farts played with a jump ball on all tie ups. Yes, the circles are on either side of the FT lines and center court. Yes, that wedgie is a jump ball. Usually a jump is between the 2 players vying for the ball. With the wedgie I think it's the two rebounders closest to the ball. Not sure on that one.
Height may seem unfair with jump balls, but a well-schooled team can steal the tap. Lots of things you can do on a tap. You can slide over after the ball's touched. From an offensive posture, you look for two like jerseys next to each other and you tap the ball between them and try to run a play if you have the advantage.

Reaction Score
Yes, us old farts played with a jump ball on all tie ups. Yes, the circles are on either side of the FT lines and center court. Yes, that wedgie is a jump ball. Usually a jump is between the 2 players vying for the ball. With the wedgie I think it's the two rebounders closest to the ball. Not sure on that one.
Height may seem unfair with jump balls, but a well-schooled team can steal the tap. Lots of things you can do on a tap. You can slide over after the ball's touched. From an offensive posture, you look for two like jerseys next to each other and you tap the ball between them and try to run a play if you have the advantage.

Thanks. That's what I was picturing and wanted to be sure.

Seeing how teams strategize jump balls when there's a size disadvantage would be fun to see on the college level.

Reaction Score
Since I was asked for explanation of the second, . . . a TREE, a LONGHORN STEER, an IRISHman

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head, better refs. Anyone else come up with that? ;)

Reaction Score
I don’t get upset much when watching the game however this year‘s tournament truly had me beside myself. The officiating was remarkably bad and in many cases had an effect on the outcome of the game. How they fix that is the $64,000 question.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Better timekeeping. I don't know whether it's the humans or the hardware, but very few of the games I watched didn't stop at least 3-4 times due to either the shot or game clock not starting.

The officiating goes without saying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom