Lion's make playoffs..Edsall to split time between Lions/UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lion's make playoffs..Edsall to split time between Lions/UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great. Our new head coach's start is today, and already this board has set itself up to be as divided as the Cesspool over whether everything from his gameplans for hypothetical squads against hypothetical opponents to whether he brushes with a manual or automatic toothbrush. Frankly, this is why I wouldn't have given him the offer.

This is very simple. Do I like that he isn't hitting the ground full time? No, of course not. Is it good that he's not hitting the ground full time? No, of course not. But it would be dumb to think Benedict offered him the job without understanding and being o.k. with his transition from the Lions, so this is part of the choice he made in the hire and it is what it is.

Although I will say, it's hilarious watching folks who were always anti-Edsall who made an incredible deal about how unloyal he was to UConn when he left now whining that he won't be unloyal enough to the Lions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not the disaster scenario some are painting. He's fully capable of temporarily helping the Lions (fulfilling his commitment) and doing some of the important groundwork for his Husky HC role. And does it really hurt to have him say to a recruit "I was a bit delayed as I was helping the Detroit Lions in the playoffs. You know, the NFL, where dreams have come true for a lot of my former players." And don't forget that by helping the Lions he gains the continued support of those in charge there. Respect that might just result in tips on possible recruits or assistant coaching prospects. It's a fraternity after all and you wouldn't want to be blackballed over a mere week's delay.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a fraternity after all and you wouldn't want to be blackballed over a mere week's delay.

That's funny. One place you get blackballed, the other you get rehired.

Reaction Score
This is not the disaster scenario some are painting. He's fully capable of temporarily helping the Lions (fulfilling his commitment) and doing some of the important groundwork for his Husky HC role. And does it really hurt to have him say to a recruit "I was a bit delayed as I was helping the Detroit Lions in the playoffs. You know, the NFL, where dreams have come true for a lot of my former players." And don't forget that by helping the Lions he gains the continued support of those in charge there. Respect that might just result in tips on possible recruits or assistant coaching prospects. It's a fraternity after all and you wouldn't want to be blackballed over a mere week's delay.
This. If he couldn't handle both roles, he wouldn't be doing it. I think he made his commitment to the program clear during the press conference. Big overreaction imo.

Reaction Score

Nobody is saying it's a disaster. But it's not ideal. People can claim they think he handle both jobs for a week but there's 2 things about that:

This is not a "normal" week for Edsall. It's his first week on the job.

And,

100% > 50% of Edsall's time.

I'd rather he be focusing 100% of his energy to UConn football. Hardly a controversial position.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I agree...I just hope RE is able to pull a QB out of thin air. I am hoping a juco or grad transfer comes in. With a serviceable qb, the season won't be a total loss.

Yes, if only there were a Cam Newton at some JC toiling away in relative obscurity, who doesn't have a father trying to negotiate a $150k signing bonus for him to play FBS CFB. Hopefully we'll get lucky and find somebody. After the past six years, we're way overdue for a stroke of luck.

Reaction Score
I'd rather he be focused on his new job, but as long as he can fill out his staff while working for the Lions then I think it's fine.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think this was a lost year for recruiting, and it's a lot to ask for a new coach to come in from working in the NFL and add some late surprises to the commitment list. Had we hired a coach from another college we could hope/expect him to bring a few guys with him, but that isn't the case.. Maybe the coordinators can get it done. We seem to have some players that can help provide depth, but I don't see anyone having any impact for a few years anyway.

Edsall's most important job right now is filling out the staff, and getting the new playbooks to the players so they can start to prepare for spring football. Most of his work will be done this spring and summer in preparing the team to compete this fall. The next week or two he spends with the Lions isn't going to have any long term impact on the program...as long as he is able to hire his staff.

Reaction Score
Guessing he is spending time 75/25 on UCONN. He is not an assistant or coordinator so not same level of time commitment, otherwise would not be able to spend most of this week on campus. Seems his job is writing up report early in week on opponent for coaching staff and sure all the playoff teams have been on radar for awhile so lot of it was already done and then his knowledge on game day in the booth. More than likely will be freed up next week as Seattle is tough place to play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree...I just hope RE is able to pull a QB out of thin air. I am hoping a juco or grad transfer comes in. With a serviceable qb, the season won't be a total loss.
If Randy can give us an OL that is worth a damn, whoever is under center will look vastly improved.

CL82

Reaction Score
Everyone should use an electric toothbrush... this isn't the stone ages. #hottake
My god what a namby pamby society we've become if we grown to weak too brush our own teeth. Think Kevin Ollie uses an electric toothbrush? No way man, no way.

#electrictoothbrush=escalator

Reaction Score

How about this. Randy's on a Skype call with a recruit from Michigan. All of a sudden in the background the Lions QB Stafford walks in, in uniform, and says "Oh sorry coach, I didn't realize you were busy. I was just looking for the game film you put together for me" Randy points to the desk, Stafford grabs it and leaves, without saying a word to the kid on Skype (no violations).

Randy grins and says "Now where were we?"

How might that come across to the kid? :)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Nobody is saying it's a disaster. But it's not ideal. People can claim they think he handle both jobs for a week but there's 2 things about that:

This is not a "normal" week for Edsall. It's his first week on the job.

And,

100% > 50% of Edsall's time.

I'd rather he be focusing 100% of his energy to UConn football. Hardly a controversial position.
PP and Diaco were so bad this board is suddenly stanning for every thing RE does and says. It will be amusing watching all of his new fans pull their hair out as Randy plays not to lose versus Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
50% Edsall is probably better than 1000% Diaco or Pasqualoni so yeah, it's not ideal, but also, Diaco is gone, so I'll take it.

Win us some games in the fall and I'll definitely forget this happened.

CL82

Reaction Score
PP and Diaco were so bad this board is suddenly stanning for every thing RE does and says. It will be amusing watching all of his new fans pull their hair out as Randy plays not to lose versus Holy Cross.
If it results in a winning season, I'll take it.

Reaction Score
Everyone should use an electric toothbrush... this isn't the stone ages. #hottake

There are some people who cannot afford them. Same folks who have trouble paying utility bills, just sayin......

Reaction Score

I hear what your saying but after 6 years of angst, I get that most posters are just tired of the same old same old and really want to believe that Edsall will bring the program back to respectability. Don't worry the minute Randy makes a major gaff or blunder it will be whacked pretty good. If he plays not to lose against Holy Cross, after the game most of us will be looking like either Michael Jordan or Yul Brenner!

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

Reaction Score

I don't care "how he plays" against Holy Cross. I just want to see the second team in midway through the 4th Quarter, like the old days.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't care "how he plays" against Holy Cross. I just want to see the second team in midway through the 4th Quarter, like the old days.
Were you not entertained by the Maine game?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

What makes you think Edsall will give a duplicate performance of that against HC?

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
The difference..if.......if by some act of god....HC is actually in this game after half time:
Edsall will lay into the team thus to ensure that does not come close to happening again under his watch. Bobby continued to clap, pat behinds and give out participation stickers to the other squad.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What makes you think Edsall will give a duplicate performance of that against HC?
I have no idea how UConn will perform, but a pretty good idea of how Edsall likes to coach. Conservatively. The same question could be asked of everyone expecting him to blow out FCS teams based on past performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom