Lion's make playoffs..Edsall to split time between Lions/UConn | The Boneyard

Lion's make playoffs..Edsall to split time between Lions/UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just found this on Coaching Search:
UConn: Detroit Lions head coach Jim Caldwell says Randy Edsall intends to split time between the Lions and UConn until the Lions season is over. That could end Sunday, or it could end in the Super Bowl if the Lions make the playoffs. Edsall is the Lions' director of football research.

He will be relying on his staff recruiting wise and Balis for S&C.

Reaction Score
He can still make calls/text/letters etc.. until the dead period is over (1/12) as well as review tape of the current roster. Kids aren't back on campus till the 16th?

Reaction Score
Not great news. Even if they get bounced in the first round that's a full week. There's a lot to do in a short time frame without having to split duties.

Reaction Score
This makes me believe that some of HCRE's staff is already in place and working the recruiting scene. I think having Edsall still involved with the Lions is good thing.

(1). I believe it helps on the recruiting trail. "Sorry Tommy, coach Edsall couldn't be here because he's still working in the NFL playoffs. Is the NFL something you could see in your future? Coach Edsall knows what NFL organizations are looking for and he's placed 20+ former players in the league. Coach Edsall will contact you personally but he believes your a great fit for the University of Connecticut."

(2) HCRE just stood at a podium and said leaving a team high and dry was the most regrettable thing he'd done in his career. I respect him for sticking with his commitment to the Lions. It proves, to me, he wasn't blowing smoke up our a$$es. It would be hypocritical for him to do so, even if the Lions permitted him to leave to focus solely on UConn.

(3) It also leads me to believe HCRE has identified there's talent here he feels he can work with. He admitted he still followed the program in some capacity. Former players, including Dan O (who he has a great relationship with) also follow the program and can fill him in (a bit) on the current roster. It's likely HCRE (or his "staff") has been doing his homework on potential recruits (perhaps with Benedict or the old regime) and trusts his guys to get things done in his absence.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
What are his duties with the Lions?

Reaction Score
UConn: Detroit Lions head coach Jim Caldwell says Randy Edsall intends to split time between the Lions and UConn until the Lions season is over. That could end Sunday, or it could end in the Super Bowl if the Lions make the playoffs. Edsall is the Lions' director of football research.

This really sucks, Not having him to get some recruits to come on board or to have the ones that verbaled to stay. I know he has an obligation with the Lions but this is not good. You need the head coach the face of the Team there for closing a deal. But that is how things go at Uconn, run like a second tier program. No way in hell this helps our recruiting!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This makes me believe that some of HCRE's staff is already in place and working the recruiting scene. I think having Edsall still involved with the Lions is good thing.

(1). I believe it helps on the recruiting trail. "Sorry Tommy, coach Edsall couldn't be here because he's still working in the NFL playoffs. Is the NFL something you could see in your future? Coach Edsall knows what NFL organizations are looking for and he's placed 20+ former players in the league. Coach Edsall will contact you personally but he believes your a great fit for the University of Connecticut."

(2) HCRE just stood at a podium and said leaving a team high and dry was the most regrettable thing he'd done in his career. I respect him for sticking with his commitment to the Lions. It proves, to me, he wasn't blowing smoke up our a$$es. It would be hypocritical for him to do so, even if the Lions permitted him to leave to focus solely on UConn.

(3) It also leads me to believe HCRE has identified there's talent here he feels he can work with. He admitted he still followed the program in some capacity. Former players, including Dan O (who he has a great relationship with) also follow the program and can fill him in (a bit) on the current roster. It's likely HCRE (or his "staff") has been doing his homework on potential recruits (perhaps with Benedict or the old regime) and trusts his guys to get things done in his absence.

#3. Thought same thing. He looked at talent and conditioning and knows there is something to work with going forward.

Reaction Score
This really sucks, Not having him to get some recruits to come on board or to have the ones that verbaled to stay. I know he has an obligation with the Lions but this is not good. You need the head coach the face of the Team there for closing a deal. But that is how things go at Uconn, run like a second tier program. No way in hell this helps our recruiting!
What makes you say that...he is splitting his time...knowing Edsall he will burn candle at both ends if he has to. Completely off base here with this assessment IMHO.

Reaction Score

There are no face to face meetings w/ recruits allowed until the 12th. He said he has already talked w/ some commits and will continue to do so.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
Does he really need to be in Detroit? I understand the obligation but will they miss him? He's the director of player research

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
He helps them in game planning by breaking down film...he was really clear about his duties in his presser.
Oh didn't see the whole presser just the highlights

Reaction Score
Simple solution. Detroit wins tonight and the Gints visit Ford field next weekend.

Randy really wants to burn up the phones to recruits but gave his word to Detroit.

Randy meets up with Andrew Adams on the field before the game and as he hugs Adams, Randy slides some index cards in Adams uniform and whispers to Andrew "operation Wake Forest".

Andrew nods, Gints go on to beat Detroit and Randy is on a plane back to CT by the end of the 3rd quarter, not saying good bye to Detroit's upper management.

Randy shows no regret and UConn fans love him even more. ;)

Reaction Score

I wonder if Randy will bring someone from the Lions with him as QB coach...(Matthew Stafford's backup..DO)

Reaction Score
Here's exactly for you. Can they Skype or use FaceTime?

I believe they can.

Dead period: No in-person contact is allowed, even if a prospect makes a visit to the college campus. Written and electronic communications are still permitted. NCAA considers telephone calls as: "Any real-time exchange of someone’s voice including voice calls, Skype, videoconferencing, Facetime and video chat."

So my semi-educated guess is that as long it is within the other parameters as far a time frame/hours calls are allowed and number of calls a week, they are documented appropriately, yada, yada, it is legit.

Reaction Score
What makes you say that...he is splitting his time...knowing Edsall he will burn candle at both ends if he has to. Completely off base here with this assessment IMHO.

It looks like you have inhaled a little to much smoke to think we have hired another god for a coach. Too many blind fans on this board especially some off you diehards! I'm willing to give him a chance but i am not accepting him with open arms as you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom