2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley | Page 24 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kansas seems to be in on most big players in the portal. It seems like Self and his staff/collective are throwing as much as they can against the wall and hoping something sticks.

Reaction Score
A kid from a former soccer team my daughter played on got a D1 scholarship to a top school this year. Last I saw her when she was 13, she was the worst on the team, unathletic too, could not run properly. Her development is not a matter of LATE growth or growing into a more adult body. She comes from a very rich family. Father has a jet. Well, she got all the training in the world, trains on her skills for many hours every day, and has translated that to a hustle mentality on the field. Good for her, works very hard. Now she gets rewarded. This is a mix of very hard work by the kid and money that won her that scholarship.

That's particularly prevalent in most girls sports and boys lacrosse for whatever reason in my experience. But especially girls soccer. When I worked in a rich area, the girls in town were constantly playing soccer. I coached their team one year even though I hate soccer and know nothing about it, and we didn't lose a single game. My current school in the hood couldn't even get enough girls to try out to form a team. Middle and lower-class families aren't investing in those sports for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
It's exactly the sort of thing that never broke for us from 1990-2003 that began to from 2004-2023.
Getting light-years off topic, but I made this point in another thread weeks ago:

People complain that we've gotten easy paths through the Tournament in our last few runs -- our region fell apart in 2004, faced 8 seeds for the championship in 2011 and 2014, faced 5 seeds in the Final Four in 2023 -- but we got absolutely none of that luck in the 90s and early 00s.

We never had a 1 seed knocked out early, we almost always faced the toughest possible seeds in the later rounds -- 1994 lost to chalk 3 seed Florida in Miami, 1995 lost to chalk 1 seed and eventual champ UCLA in California, 1998 lost to chalk 1 seed UNC in NC, 2002 lost to chalk 1 seed Maryland, 2003 lost to chalk 1 seed Texas in Texas.

Reaction Score
That's particularly prevalent in most girls sports and boys lacrosse for whatever reason in my experience. But especially girls soccer. When I worked in a rich area, the girls in town were constantly playing soccer. I coached their team one year even though I hate soccer and know nothing about it, and we didn't lose a single game. My current school in the hood couldn't even get enough girls to try out to form a team. Middle and lower-class families aren't investing in those sports for whatever reason.
Soccer is the cheapest sport to play besides running, it's too bad people in the hood don't care about it. It's not looked at as a cool sport by people in the hood and there's no Americans they look up to who currently or use to play the sport. It's not even looked at as particularly cool to Americans living in the burbs and sticks either. Most kids play it out there growing up but quit as they get older or switch to football if they have athletic talent.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Soccer is the cheapest sport to play besides running, it's too bad people in the hood don't care about it. It's not looked at as a cool sport by people in the hood and there's no Americans they look up to who currently or use to play the sport. It's not even looked at as particularly cool to Americans living in the burbs and sticks either. Most kids play it out there growing up but quit as they get older or switch to football if they have athletic talent.

Around the world it’s the cheapest sport, but America has made it fairly expensive

Reaction Score
It is the cheapest to technically just play - you just need a ball. You can set up shoes as goals or whatever you want. However, in the U.S., to become a great player you need coaching and coaching is extremely expensive at the highest levels. A local youth club near me charges $3,000 per player per season (3 seasons, so $9,000 for the year). If you want to be seen by college coaches and play in showcase tournaments, etc. you need to play on those elite teams. College coaches don't pay any attention to high school teams because high school soccer is abysmal.

When I was playing in the 2000's, clubs cost about $1500 - $2000 per year, and prices have skyrocketed since then.

Reaction Score
More like UConn vs. Alabama with Michigan as a dark horse. Bodes very well for us that we’re getting the first visit of the three.
He’s going to be at Jordan brand in Brooklyn this weekend. Being first is probably a matter of logistics as much as anything

Reaction Score
He’s going to be at Jordan brand in Brooklyn this weekend. Being first is probably a matter of logistics as much as anything

Bodes well for us as in we have the chance to lock it up before he takes any other visits. Not implying he’s visiting us first because we’re his favorite as of today.

Reaction Score
Can we all just agree soccer is stupid? My kids are playing basketball, track, or learning how to fight. Everything else is foolish.
Is this you?

image.jpg

Reaction Score
How do you aggressively peruse someone?

A music store or a library, sure. But a teenager?
Leering at them and staring at them for an inappropriately long time Id imagine.

Reaction Score
Most affluent communities are good at all sports now…down in Fairfield county if the school is good at football it is most likely good at everything now…..huge change from years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom