Lexi Will Be A Husky! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lexi Will Be A Husky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will have 6 scholarships open that season. With AEH and Gordon that means 2 of the 6 are taken... 4 left.
I would think he goes with 2 more...maybe 3 and have a class of 5....
The following year he will have four graduate and have 1-2 openings... so he could have 6 scholarships for the class of 18.
I would love to see a couple of players of great height ;)
Me too!

Reaction Score
May be so, but how do you determine someone being a pure shooter when they only make 36% of their shot ? Someone like Diamond DeShields for example is shooting 38.5% from the floor this season, probably against better competition and some people think she is not very good.
I'm inclined to think that she probably draws double and triple teams and that contributes to an extent to her shooting percentage being what it is. Even if her shooting touch were to be a bit less than stellar, that is something that can be addressed. What seems to be the reason her rating is what it is is because her other skills including the energy she brings to the team are at such a very high level. I'm inclined to think that she'll be a big attribute when she gets to UConn.

Reaction Score
Well, maybe she's not a pure shooter after all. :rolleyes: So would that make her some sort of an impure shooter? Polluted shooter? Contaminated? Lewd? Dirty? . . . . .:eek:

What is your point really? Why you hammering the kid?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Well, maybe she's not a pure shooter after all. :rolleyes: So would that make her some sort of an impure shooter? Polluted shooter? Contaminated? Lewd? Dirty? . . . . .:eek:

Well, as long as we are going to entertain a tangent on this discussion, this reminds me of the commercials for Ivory soap that claimed the product was 99.44% pure. Which, by the way, was technically correct!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Relax - Kib is only having fun with verbal jousting. Has nothing to do with Lexi shooting abilities.

Thanks. I find some expressions used in sportspeech to be annoying and pure as an adjective (e.g., pure point guard) is one of them. Ubiquitous use of differential (instead of difference) is another. Spring training is upon us so we can expect to hear pitchers describe their command or velocity of their pitches, thus rendering words like control and speed obsolete. The poise of quarterbacks "in the pocket" is comparable to that routinely exhibited by ballet dancers or job applicants during that daunting second interview.

I guess I fall flat as a pure pedant. :(

Reaction Score
Blue Star Basketball has Gordon rated 78th. Does that make sense? Does anyone have an opinion of which rating is the most perceptive/accurate? I believe Prospects Nation has her at 17. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Blue Star Basketball has Gordon rated 78th. Does that make sense? Does anyone have an opinion of which rating is the most perceptive/accurate? I believe Prospects Nation has her at 17. Thoughts?

Good point. Olsen ratings after #1&2 I definately don't trust much. More than not he has been off.

Blue star? I'm still confuse on a few ratings.

Over the years I have seen many kids ranked low who have blossomed and outshined their ratings.

I have a strong feeling that is going to be the case with the two 2017 recruits now on board. Because one thing stands true til this day. "you can't measure the heart and strong will of a person to advance and become better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just read a couple articles on sny.tv about Lexi and I have a question for people who have seen her play, either live or in video replay. I don't know how good Lexi is going to be but how can you be a pure shooter and only shoot 36 percent from the floor ?

Gordon averaged 24.7 points (shooting 36 percent from floor, 32 percent from 3-point land, and 80 percent from the foul line) along with 9.5 rebounds and 1.8 steals as a junior to lead L.D. Bell to a 20-11 record.

"Lexi's a pure shooter and does a great job of impacting the game with her ability to score," Pembleton said.
The shooting numbers cited in the SNY article are not those of a pure shooter at any level of basketball. These numbers are also not consistent with any evaluation I have seen of Lexi or the meteoric rise she has made in the ranking this past year. Not sure where to go from here but I'll keep an eye out for other shooting numbers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is not that unusual or important. The rating services have different philosophies and update the rating according to different schedules.
There are wider rating discrepancies out there for Class of 2017. For example, ESPN has Sidney Cooks top 10 (#9) kid in the class and Prospects Nation Nation has her at #92. Cooks has been a pretty high profile recruit for schools like ND since she was in the 7th Grade.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, but to try to position a HS Junior who is ranked between 20-30 in her class right now to be like an NBA Hall of Famer is absolutely insane. Some UConn fans tend to go overboard with their excitement. I remember a lot of the same hoopla when Courtney Ekmark committed as well.
You seem determined to kill our joy and dampen our celebration by pointing out Lexi class ranking. Lexi ranking is on the rise. It not like a player ranked in the 20-30 range has not become an All American Player, UCONN starter, and multiple National Championships. Her name is Stefanie Dolson. FYI Courtney Ekmark is also a national Champion so that "hoopla" was justified.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Based on USA basketball which is the only on court evaluation process that includes most of the top players in the age range, Lexi as an under 16 appears to be in the 15-30 range of players for her class, and that after not being an invitee to the trials. We will get another 'picture' this summer with U17 trials.
NB Moriah was not selected as a U16 either.

Reaction Score
Good point. Olsen ratings after #1&2 I definately don't trust much. More than not he has been off.

Blue star? I'm still confuse on a few ratings.

Over the years I have seen many kids ranked low who have blossomed and outshined their ratings.

I have a strong feeling that is going to be the case with the two 2017 recruits now on board. Because one thing stands true til this day. "you can't measure the heart and strong will of a person to advance and become better.
Maybe a bit of the disparity in rating is WHEN they were evaluating Gordon. From what everyone says, a year ago she was just another decent player but she's made marvelous and almost unprecedented gains in this past year. It could also be a case of two people with a different sense of what makes a top rated type player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We will have 6 scholarships open that season. With AEH and Gordon that means 2 of the 6 are taken... 4 left.
I would think he goes with 2 more...maybe 3 and have a class of 5....
The following year he will have four graduate and have 1-2 openings... so he could have 6 scholarships for the class of 18.
I would love to see a couple of players of great height ;)
2018 is absolutely loaded and UCONN is after about half of the top 10 kids in that class. I would not be surprised to see him land only 1 more - a forward/post player, and call it a day.

Reaction Score
Rating services can be a mixed bag and tend to focus on stats. What probably is less of a factor in rating these 15-18 year olds are intangibles. Work ethic, ball handling skills, willingness to defend, team spirit, BB IQ etc take somewhat of a backseat to PPG/REB. Geno is looking at the intangibles to build his teams of the future. Sometimes raw athletic skills trump intangibles(think Griner) and sometimes they don't(think DD). Geno and staff have been masters in putting together a TEAM whether it has highly rated or mid-rated young kids. His teams tend to have the highest A/T ratios in Div 1 and that may be the key factor to playing winning basketball. Further, IMO it is much more fun watching team basketball than ego driven basketball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll also address @pvdoggy on this reply as well...

First, regarding Ekmark, her rankings were all over the map. outside of the top 30 for Hoopgurlz and PN, but inside the top 15 for BS and ASGR. She was touted as a tremendous shooter, with solid guard skills and as a coaches daughter, high BBIQ. Problem is most of her first season was marred with injuries and she struggled with the speed of the game and her fitness, which is essential for a kid who is already a step slow (see Maria Conlon). Bottom line, she is what she is - a solid role player, and there is zero wrong with that.

Where I see Lexi as being different is that she's seen a meteoric rise in the rankings in just one year. If someone has her at 78, they have not seen her lately. Now I have no idea where she will end up as most services will probably re-work their numbers over the coming months. We will know more is she's invited to Team USA tryouts and if she actually makes any of those teams. Where will she end up? How good can she be? I have no idea.

Side note - we heard several times from people out of NY that Andra Hunter was "just average". Also, her rankings dropped - possibly because she was playing out of position and had a fairly average year last season. Fast forward, and suddenly she makes the Team USA U16 squad and is one of the better players on the team. Blue Star still has her at #3 (but that's Mike Flynn, who she plays for, so it's probably way skewed). Bottom line - is she a legit top 10 or top 20 kid? I think so - anyone who makes Team USA is a legit player. Lexi is only a junior this season so we will have plenty of time to see what she does over the summer and get a better feel.

I would disagree with some who say "Geno thinks she's great so she must be". I'm not sure how much potential Geno thought Ekmark has/had, or Irwin and Bent, but clearly those kids will LIKELY be role players (possibly not but more probably just role players). Just because Geno offers does not mean he thinks the kid has AA potential. I'm excited about Gordon for 2 reasons - primarily because she accepted a scholly offer to UCONN. But also because she's skyrocketed up the rankings in just 1 year, and that's a great indication to me that she has a load of potential. Hopefully a Kalana Greene type of player (pre-injury).

And btw great post by @rugbymate . I was going to add something like that but no need to as he said it really well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Based on USA basketball which is the only on court evaluation process that includes most of the top players in the age range, Lexi as an under 16 appears to be in the 15-30 range of players for her class, and that after not being an invitee to the trials. We will get another 'picture' this summer with U17 trials.
NB Moriah was not selected as a U16 either.
I believe that Lexi paid her own way--give her credit for that!--and almost made the team.

Yes, I believe it took Moriah 3 tries to make Team USA, even though some folks thought she was deserving 1 or 2 years earlier. Now she is the second best player in the country. I think she has DEVELOPED.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have not idea if those shooting stats are accurate for Lexi or not. For now, I assume they are. But look at her shooting form. It's very good!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2018 is absolutely loaded and UCONN is after about half of the top 10 kids in that class. I would not be surprised to see him land only 1 more - a forward/post player, and call it a day.
To quote my good friend Mike: Just as there's always room for Jell-o, there's always room for ...

0MEGAN+WALKER5

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
as former college coach.....
the positive things that stick out about Lexi as a Wing prospect = Size, Strength
Toughness , Competitive spirit
short stroke Shooting ability
Appetite to Rebound, appetite to Play in Lane ( both ends )
bigtime Gym rat
appetite to be challenged . get out of comfort zone
Type A personality ( incl on court )

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Maculate?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
as former college coach.....
the positive things that stick out about Lexi as a Wing prospect = Size, Strength
Toughness , Competitive spirit
short stroke Shooting ability
Appetite to Rebound, appetite to Play in Lane ( both ends )
bigtime Gym rat
appetite to be challenged . get out of comfort zone
Type A personality ( incl on court )
Coach couldn't say it better.

Reaction Score
If he goes with one more... Say Walker... then have a class of three that year.... he would have 7 scholarships if I am not mistaken for 2018... I doubt he would go for a recruiting class of over 5.
Has UCONN ever had a class of over 5? Personally I say get 2...Walker and one of the Williams (Jade).... then take 4-5 in 2018... say 2 guards 2 forwards... or three of one and 2 of the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom