Lexi Will Be A Husky! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lexi Will Be A Husky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
At the risk of being rational, I think some of the excitement over Lexi has also been due to the intense effort she made to grow her game in the last year or so. This says a lot about her, especially that the game is still fun, still important, and that there is always room for her to grow.

As much as I loved my local college softball team, and broadcasting their games, I was always a little saddened at the semi-burned-out attitude I saw in some of them. They had played since they were 5 years old, and while the team mattered greatly, the game and getting better at the game wasn't something that burned from within. UConn is NOT the place to bring that sort of tired feeling.

She seems to be a kid who is willing, eager, and able to do the difficult work that lies ahead of her. Welcome Lexi!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, but to try to position a HS Junior who is ranked between 20-30 in her class right now to be like an NBA Hall of Famer is absolutely insane. Some UConn fans tend to go overboard with their excitement. I remember a lot of the same hoopla when Courtney Ekmark committed as well.

Pardon us sir/maddam, but today is a red letter day in the Nation (UConn Nation). We just got a commit from a coveted recruit. So please don't attempt to pee in our Kool-Aid. If you do not wish to join in, fine. Allow the rest of us to express our joy and optimism. We have cause to be happy and express our glee. Today is a good day!!!!! :D

Reaction Score
Dear Lexi....we really aren't sure how tall you are. However, rest assured that over the next couple of months you will be somewhere between 5'11" and 6'2". Please don't take this personally. We are a confused but faithful group of supporters. Welcome!!

Reaction Score
Wanna know how good she'll be? If Diana was Magic Johnson,Maya was Elgin Baylor And Stewie resembles Kevin Durant She would remind me of John Havlichek.Having seen a bunch of video on her,just the way she walks,runs,and has such a pure shooting motion immediately tells you that she is going to be a great athlete and would have a great career at Uconn.
DT, was more of a scorer than Magic was. Think Oscar Robertson, with MJ's swag.
Maya is like Dr. J. I agree with the Stewie, KD comparison.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You guys are so quick. Lexi's tweet was still warm when the BY sprang to life. That's the trouble with instant gratification; it's not quick enough.

We've got a lot of "quick draw" artists here in the yard. There are a lot of yarders that have their finger on the pulse of WCBB. They monitor a lot of web sites (along with twitter and facebook) that are dedicated to WCBB.
When news breaks, They're on it like "stink on a dead man". You'll read it here first. There are lots of reason I like the yard. This is just one of them. :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK - Jade Williams just sent congrats on twitter, and early on i saw what i assume is Natalie Chou sending congrats. And just saw one from Christyn Williams as well.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"[The UConn offer] didn't come naturally," Gordon told the Star-Telegram. "I had to work really hard to where I'm at. I was a late bloomer as opposed to a lot of other players. I didn't expect it. I thought [UConn coach Geno Auriemma] was going to see me play one or two more times. I'm proud of it."

http://www.ctnow.com/hc-uconn-women-lexi-gordon-0220-20160219-story.html

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is she a true wing or a possible guard for us?
I get the feeling she's versatile, which Geno loves. If I had to guess, I would say Crystal is a true PG - a 1. Andra has been forced to play some 1 but she's more of a 2. I think Lexi can play some 2 but is more of a 3. When you look at starters down the road when KLS and Napheesa are seniors - I could see a starting lineup of Dangerfield, Hunter, Gordon, Collier and Samuelson. A bit undersized and guard oriented, but unless UCONN brings in a terrific post player in 2017, we may be looking at this when the 2017 class enters their sophomore season (the year after Butler graduates). A great core for sure, but it underscores the desperate need for some athletic height to play in the post...

Reaction Score
Yeah, but to try to position a HS Junior who is ranked between 20-30 in her class right now to be like an NBA Hall of Famer is absolutely insane. Some UConn fans tend to go overboard with their excitement. I remember a lot of the same hoopla when Courtney Ekmark committed as well.
Isn't INSANE a little extreme??? Overboard and not overly realistic (at this moment in time) but there are many players who have evolved from obscurity to superstardom so it does happen. Meanwhile, what's wrong with a little enthusiasm. Word is Gordon has exploded in the past year, far exceeding anyone's expectations and one writer says it's the most amazing spurt he's ever seen.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@ericsandiego. Permit me to recall the bb position(s) categories used by the NBA writer in the Boston Globe (I have taken the liberty of applying UConn players' names to his positions):
Ball-Handlers: Mo, Kia, Saniya, Pulido
Wings: Lou, Stewie, Ekmark
Swings: Gabby, Napheesa, Law
Bigs: Nat, Morgan​
I believe (at least) one ball-handler must have PG qualities. Beyond that, mix and match as the situation dictates. It seems to work -- at least for me and The Globe guy.;)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
upload_2016-2-19_14-23-23.png

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Rocky , that's a good thought.. Certainly won't hurt if she puts in a good word to Charli Collier. Now if we can pry Collier out of Texas it will let Texas , Texas A&M , and Baylor know that they may be in Texas but they don't quite own the State yet.

Texas, Baylor and TAMU have owned the state for years. And does anyone really need to put in a "good word" for UCONN? Isn't the word already out there? I am really surprised that UCONN has not had more success in Texas already.

Reaction Score
The AAC has been in existence for 3 full years now. If you included the 2016 UCONN recruiting class which is believed to be closed, there is exactly 1 signing (Dangerfield from TN) from among the new states or cities in this AAC footprint. So while it may not hurt to be playing in these new AAC cities, IMO it does not help either. UCONN was recruiting nationally before the AAC and there was always an attempt to schedule a "home" game for each recruited player sometime before they graduated. Here is how I think it may hurt recruiting: If you have to schedule a game against say Colgate so Stewie can have a homecoming game that becomes a bearable event that you do once every 4 years. When you have to go down to SMU and administer a beat down every year that is no longer an event and definitely not something that is going to impress a recruit. I'm happy that Lexi signed because it puts us back in the hunt for other Texas players, But wouldn't we be in that hunt anyway regardless of what conference UCONN was playing in?
Some things take a while. I have no doubt that being exposed to the way UConn plays and the way the team interacts LIVE can and will have some bearing. If there's young girls who play coming to these arena's, I mean ten, eleven and twelve year old girls, they won't be viable recruits for a long period of time but that doesn't mean that the seeds won't be planted to highly consider a team that has a wonderful history of success and espouses such wonderful team chemistry. These AAC areas are like planting seedlings and take a period of time to truly bloom but there is nothing better than exposure and that's what our new conference provides for a great amount of the country. Considering what a recruiting hotspot Texas is, having two teams from that state and one from nearby Oklahoma can really benefit the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Texas, Baylor and TAMU have owned the state for years. And does anyone really need to put in a "good word" for UCONN? Isn't the word already out there? I am really surprised that UCONN has not had more success in Texas already.
I tend to think that having UConn playing multiple games in Texas allows more top recruits to actually see them LIVE which is a totally different experience and maybe get a better sense of the true camaraderie that seems an integral part of the UConn culture. For years we've heard about recruits being awed by the sense of family that UConn provides and how much interaction there is between the girls off the court, as well. That is, in many cases, the clincher. It's beyond being a top flight program, it's about having fun and experiences along the way.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I tend to think that having UConn playing multiple games in Texas allows more top recruits to actually see them LIVE which is a totally different experience and maybe get a better sense of the true camaraderie that seems an integral part of the UConn culture. For years we've heard about recruits being awed by the sense of family that UConn provides and how much interaction there is between the girls off the court, as well. That is, in many cases, the clincher. It's beyond being a top flight program, it's about having fun and experiences along the way.

Seeing a team play live certainly allows them to get a better idea of what it is like to play for a cohesive team and sense of family that Baylor, Texas and TAMU lack.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seeing a team play live certainly allows them to get a better idea of what it is like to play for a cohesive team and sense of family that Baylor, Texas and TAMU lack.
I hope I am detecting sarcasm there! :rolleyes::)
We do hear comments from a number of recruits including Lexi about being surprised at how relaxed and friendly the Uconn team is - I think they have preconceived notions that Uconn will be intimidating or full of themselves or as Lexi said robotic in their approach to the game.
That statement can be made without implying anything about other teams in general or about any specific team. But I think Uconn being so dominant may create preconception with or without the help of opposing coaches.

Reaction Score
We've got a lot of "quick draw" artists here in the yard. There are a lot of yarders that have their finger on the pulse of WCBB. They monitor a lot of web sites (along with twitter and facebook) that are dedicated to WCBB.
When news breaks, They're on it like "stink on a dead man". You'll read it here first. There are lots of reason I like the yard. This is just one of them. :D

Might make good proctologists.

Reaction Score

HGN

Reaction Score
ETT , there are 2 States that UConn that has been hard for UConn to penetrate.......Texas and Tennessee. So I think somebody needs to put a 'Good Word' in there. The word is out (in every other State) except apparently Texas and Tenn. Until Jefferson , Gordon and Dangerfield.

So help us out down there................Tell all those talented players you guys have in State that UConn is the place to go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom