Lexi transferring | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Lexi transferring

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
For a good athlete, it is not that tough to get admitted to Rice or almost an school that's not in the Ivy League or Patriot League. I know male players with very average SAT's and GPA's who got in.
OK. Well, that's encouraging for Lexi. I'd rather see her there than TCU. Not sure what to think of SMU as a possible destination.

Reaction Score
For a good athlete, it is not that tough to get admitted to Rice or almost an school that's not in the Ivy League or Patriot League. I know male players with very average SAT's and GPA's who got in.
if you're comparing Rice to Patriot League schools, you don't know anything about Rice.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
well done! my son got his degree there, and his son is now a second year there.
I've always wondered how Rice got its name. Named after an early donor, I suppose?

Reaction Score
if you're comparing Rice to Patriot League schools, you don't know anything about Rice.

I know plenty about Rice. Two cousins went there, and I know a Rice recruited athlete well. I acknowledge Rice has higher standards than PL schools for regular students. However I was only talking about recruited athletes - and I know the numbers well in that area. In at least football and men's basketball, Rice has admitted players with SAT's of about 1100. That is higher than almost all schools, since only two leagues (Ivy and Patriot) have iron-clad standards on minimum SAT's and GPA's relative to those of the average student at each respective school, while the rest will bend the standards significantly for good athletes. Duke, for example, in men's basketball has admitted players with SAT's below 800.

However due to the Academic Index in the Patriot League, a school cannot admit an athlete who has a combined SAT and GPA/class rank significantly below their average student. As a result, no player with an 1100 SAT could be recruited by at least nine of the league's ten schools - with the possible exception of Loyola. According to a PL men's basketball assistant, the AI prevents them from recruiting a number of players who Rice (and others) does recruit. No knock on Rice, since schools such as Duke, Vanderbilt, and Stanford also bend their admission standards significantly. (Stanford likely less than the others.) But the Ivy League and Patriot League Academic Index is cast in stone. There is no wiggle room allowed by admissions - no matter how good the athlete is.

Reaction Score
I know plenty about Rice. Two cousins went there, and I know a Rice recruited athlete well. I acknowledge Rice has higher standards than PL schools for regular students. However I was only talking about recruited athletes - and I know the numbers well in that area. In at least football and men's basketball, Rice has admitted players with SAT's of about 1100. That is higher than almost all schools, since only two leagues (Ivy and Patriot) have iron-clad standards on minimum SAT's and GPA's relative to those of the average student at each respective school, while the rest will bend the standards significantly for good athletes. Duke, for example, in men's basketball has admitted players with SAT's below 800.
From the rules:
The NCAA division 1 sliding scale is in place for those athletes that have lower GPA’s, but have higher ACT/SAT scores and vice versa. This gives high school athletes some wiggle room to become eligible with the NCAA Eligibility Center. A very important note to make is that each university has their own academic requirements. Just because you are cleared through the NCAA does not mean you can get into a certain school. Make sure you check the school’s academic requirements. The division 1 sliding scale only determines NCAA eligibility and not eligibility for each division one institution.

A student athlete with a 2.5 gpa would need an SAT of 820 or higher.

NCAA Division 1 Sliding Scale

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom