Lexi transferring | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Lexi transferring

Reaction Score
Why recruit 12+ players when all you will ever meaningfully use is 7-8?
The other half of what you have stated appears to be Why recruit players that WILL only play in garbage time?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The other half of what you have stated appears to be Why recruit players that WILL only play in garbage time?
because you have to according to Title IX...

Reaction Score
no doubt Raul loves to show up UConn but the fact is that attrition from transfers is one part of the reason why UConn is short players for next year and it does call into question some of the staff's choices....it doesn't take all that much skill to pick a Christyn Williams but finding players lower in the rankings is a tricky thing...
The Potential recruits number one thru 10 (more) appear to be heavy in the scoring talent. A Scout with long years of viewing Women/HS players should know which one's can play the game extremely well while not being a leading scorer--knowing you can build on that. A good scout should see Basketball IQ. That recruit would easily find their spots on defense, know how to set a pick, not make too many errant passes, and know when you are widely open--shoot. Geno should not be wasting time on what I consider fundamental and work on his methods. That does not take a number one recruit.

Reaction Score
Interesting: I didn't think the Feds got involved with the quality or numbers on a womens team. Boy those feds soon will be telling me when I can and when I can't.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
You need to have more players since there are injuries, and you need players to practice against, can't always practice against men.. Title IX is not the determinant although it does impact the gross number of scholarships.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No. Title IX does NOT measure utilization of scholarships is measures access to resources and availability of total scholarships. Availability means the same number of athletic scholarships available to Men must equal the number available to women. Access means if you build a shinny new weight room for the male athletes (football team) make sure that the female athletes have access to that same weight room or build them and equivalent weight room.

Reaction Score
You need to have more players since there are injuries, and you need players to practice against, can't always practice against men.. Title IX is not the determinant although it does impact the gross number of scholarships.
The flip side of not of equal talent or even close to that when used Female PP's the quality and level of play does not get teams ready for the top teams. I'd prefer male PP and fewer on the roster as long as all on the roster contribute at a decent level in top games--Injuries to the team with lesser subs adds nothing to the team, causes 5 or 6 to play 40 minutes every game that isn't AAC which almost assures injuries.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No. Title IX does NOT measure utilization of scholarships is measures access to resources and availability of total scholarships. Availability means the same number of athletic scholarships available to Men must equal the number available to women. Access means if you build a shinny new weight room for the male athletes (football team) make sure that the female athletes have access to that same weight room or build them and equivalent weight room.
Coco it also means that WCBB at UConn has to have a requisite number of scholarships visa vi all the Women vs. Men's scholarships in relation to the men/women student population. UConn had 50% women in 2017 so 50% of the scholarships need to be women. As UConn competes in BB, they need a representative amount as allocated, which I think is 13-15. They can't just go with 8/9 scholarships is my point. Now if they want to qualify that for Managers and the like, so be it.

Reaction Score
One blurb says that Lexi had considered Texas, Baylor, and TCU before choosing UConn. I think playing time would be hard to come by at Baylor or Texas, but she could be a real contribute at TCU. Or SMU.
Milford-great call with SMU. I live nearby and go to a few games a year and for many reasons - growing program, great campus location, etc. seems like it would be a fit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco it also means that WCBB at UConn has to have a requisite number of scholarships visa vi all the Women vs. Men's scholarships in relation to the men/women student population. UConn had 50% women in 2017 so 50% of the scholarships need to be women. As UConn competes in BB, they need a representative amount as allocated, which I think is 13-15. They can't just go with 8/9 scholarships is my point. Now if they want to qualify that for Managers and the like, so be it.
They certainly can. The UCONN women's basketball has to have 15 scholarships available to comply with Title IX. UCONN DOES NOT have to use all 15 and have not used all 15 for a very long time now. Available is the measure that the Department of Education uses not the number that is actually used.

Reaction Score
Not sure how I did the math, but you are correct! I will send off my comments in the "Inbox conversations" to you before posting so I can get an edit...;)

Before the thread goes off half-cocked and worries about heavy minutes for the key players. I did an analysis of the minutes by team since 2000-01 seasons (all the stats I could find). Here is the snap shot.
View attachment 37191

I used both 10 minutes per game and 15 minutes (15 div.by 40=37.5%) to gage what Geno's trend has been.
In 2011-12 (before Stewie) there were 8 players averaged more than 10 min per game and only 6 averaged more than 15 min. 2 players ave greater than 30 min with that low of 30.2 for Hartley (Hayes average higher).

Geno's recent trend of 7 players the past 3 years is worrisome (I don't have 2018-19 up yet). For the most part, when UConn won, they had 9 players >10 and 7 playing >15. The real issue is the only 7 or potentially 6 playing more than 10 min this year. Mikayla, Batouly or Kyla, need to step it up in AAC play.
What is equally worrisome to me is while the minutes per player has gone up in recent years, so has the number of stress fractures, ankle injuries, etc. Nurse, KLS, Crystal, etc. May be coincidence but would feel better if as in the Championship years you needed, we had more players in the rotation. Interesting chart.

Reaction Score
Is that even a serious question 'cause i sense some frustration on your part.
  • It takes more than 7-8 players to run an effective practice
  • Players get injured or sick
  • Players transfer
  • The season is ~38 games X 200 minutes per game=hell of alot of minutes
Coco, to add point 5 to your assessment, usually 2-3 of those 12 players are frosh or sophs who don't fully develop until later in their college career.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They certainly can. The UCONN women's basketball has to have 15 scholarships available to comply with Title IX. UCONN DOES NOT have to use all 15 and have not used all 15 for a very long time now. Available is the measure that the Department of Education uses not the number that is actually used.

Raoul complained once that UConn’s roster was too big. I know, right. I think it was after Azura and Touly transferred. His real problem was that he hoped Azura would sign with Michigan because KBA coached Azura’s sister at St John’s. I told him that UConn was not a program that hoarded players. He of course blocked me. Baby. Transparent and thin-skinned. I like posting stuff he tweets and not citing him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. I thought they were. should go there, anyway if she is returning to Texas. They would love a player of her quality.

Well, if her SAT scores were 1400 she might have a shot there. As any OWL will tell you, Harvard is the Rice of the Northeast.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw her play in HS and just didn’t see any wow in her game and wondered what Geno saw. I saw inconsistent effort and just average skills.
Being local, I sure was pulling for her to be successful. While by all accounts a great person and teammate she just wasn’t going to play at this level.
Wish her well.

Reaction Score
Saw her play in HS and just didn’t see any wow in her game and wondered what Geno saw. I saw inconsistent effort and just average skills.
Being local, I sure was pulling for her to be successful. While by all accounts a great person and teammate, who loved the photo op, she just wasn’t going to play at this level.
Wish her well.
Matches my assessment from what I saw on video and at UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Being local, I sure was pulling for her to be successful. While by all accounts a great person and teammate, who loved the photo op, she just wasn’t going to play at this level.
Wish her well.
Makes one wonder, if your assessment is on, what the recruit ranking services saw in her.

Reaction Score
  1. For participation requirements, institutions officials must meet one of the following three tests. An institution may:
    1. Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;
    2. Demonstrate a history and continuing practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex;
    3. Fully and effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex; and,
  2. Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and
  3. Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.
The only provision that requires that the same dollars be spent proportional to participation is scholarships. Otherwise, male and female student-athletes must receive equitable "treatment" and "benefits."

Reaction Score
Makes one wonder, if your assessment is on, what the recruit ranking services saw in her.
As far as I'm concerned the recruit rankings are useless, just put out to fill website content and sucker people into paying for it. The smart coaches rely on their own eyes and even then still make some mistakes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Besides Walker #1 , Westbrook#2, Carter #6 not much noise being made by this 2017 class though.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. I thought they were. She should go there, anyway if she is returning to Texas. They would love a player of her quality.
Thanks for the correction. I thought they were. She should go there, anyway if she is returning to Texas. They would love a player of her quality.
Rice was one of my first thoughts as well. Getting admitted would be the issue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, if her SAT scores were 1400 she might have a shot there. As any OWL will tell you, Harvard is the Rice of the Northeast.
Thank you! My son got 2 degrees from Rice.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There have been players from Missouri who have been ranked in the top 50 who I was surprised to see ranked at all. There is one now who is not even the best player on her team and no one on her team is ranked. I'm thankful for the post of uconn1999 because I can understand now why Lexi must have had trouble adjusting.

Reaction Score
Rice was one of my first thoughts as well. Getting admitted would be the issue.

For a good athlete, it is not that tough to get admitted to Rice or almost an school that's not in the Ivy League or Patriot League. I know male players with very average SAT's and GPA's who got in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom