"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue" | Page 5 | The Boneyard

"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue"

Reaction Score
You make a valid point. Now take it the other way

Adams - Star
Larrier - Star but not really
Vital - tries very hard to show how good he thinks he is
Onuorah - transfer one and done who can't even start against freshmen
Anderson - transfer one and done who couldn't hit a shot for 4 games (guard mind you) and a frightening ball handler
Cobb - transfer from hell
Alterique - promising mystery
Huskids - a bunch of freshmen waiting to explode with next years incoming

Not a nice mix of players to work with. No denying that JC did a great job, but deal him this hand, in the year 2017 where the players have different mindsets and aspirations, and have grown up in a different world. Do you really think he had the patience to deal with the attitudes of today?
KO deserves next year

Bless your heart

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

Adams - Star
Anderson - transfer one and done who couldn't hit a shot for 4 games (guard mind you) and a frightening ball handler

Not a nice mix of players to work with. No denying that JC did a great job, but deal him this hand, in the year 2017 where the players have different mindsets and aspirations, and have grown up in a different world. Do you really think he had the patience to deal with the attitudes of today?
KO deserves next year

KO dealt his own hand. JC would never let the roster fall apart the way it has .

Reaction Score

Adams - Star

KO deserves next year

For what? Very good chance Adams and Larrier are gone. DO, Anderson definitely gone and Cobb likely, I'd imagine. That leaves Vital, Alterique, and the kids. That's an awful roster. I like the incoming recruits but none of them look to be instant game changers. If it's possible, next year's team will be significantly worse than this. KO will just be a lame duck coach and we'll be set back further. If you are going to make a change, it has to be now. Stop the bleeding now.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
KO dealt his own hand. JC would never let the roster fall apart the way it has .

I hope you're ready for the next coach to still be worse than JC at roster management.

Reaction Score

Awesome thread by Penfield

"He led us to the National Championship the following year. The banner will hang at UConn forever. This is how I will choose to remember him"

"It's sad to watch fans turn on a person that was loyal to us for so many years as a player and a coach. I'm not saying that calling for change is wrong or that he deserves even more chances, just that we should be decent to a man who is likely going to lose his dream job"

"It will likely take a while, but I hope some day down the road Ollie will feel welcome on campus, and I hope he will get the same reception all our former players get at when he walks into Gampel Pavilion. Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue just like the rest of us"

This is exactly what I feel and wanted to say, and he did a great job articulating it.

I've thought about this. I don't really care what color he bleeds, all I know the program is bleeding out and we are on life support. We need change and we need it now.

Reaction Score

Adams - Star

KO deserves next year

The current roster is one that Ollie and his assistants assembled. You do realize that I hope.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Sure. In all likelihood he will be. But will he better than Ollie? In all likelihood, yes. There is a chasm so wide between them, even Polley could put a basketball in it.

I don’t disagree, but being merely “better than Ollie” will do little to satisfy people.

Reaction Score
The current roster is one that Ollie and his assistants assembled. You do realize that I hope.
He probably made a pretty solid opening statement to fire Ollie without knowing it. lol

Reaction Score
Actually, this is not quite "spot on". I do agree that much of what Tenspro said in this post is correct, which is why I gave him the like. However, Kevin does NOT have a horrible eye for talent. The key is that Kevin has too often been unable to get these "right guys" to commit to our program.

For proof, just go back and look at the threads from the beginning of this year that were tracking how players were doing that we recruited but lost out on, or did not prioritize when we should have... and I am not talking about the obvious 5-star guys (Diallo, Bamba or even Waters. Put them on the side for the sake of this discussion, as their talent and skill level was obvious to everyone).

There are a number of guys on that list, that if they had come to UConn would have made a huge difference last year and this year. Maybe even all the difference between us having success as opposed to what has actually happened.

Myles Powell (I knew missing out on him 2 years was going to come back and bite us, as he would have been the outside threat we so desperately have needed the last 2 years. He was ranked the best pure shooter in his class, and if you have watched any Seton Hall games you can see why. He has a beautiful stroke, and is a major reason why they are a Top 20-25 team with the chance to do serious damage in the tournament come March).
Alpha Diallo (another guy ranked in the 100-150 area that fits the profile of athletic player who can actually play... and shoot well, also).
Bonzie Colson (nothing much needs to be said here, as his production over the last 3 years does all the talking needed. He is a great college player, and a lot of fun to watch play. Big miss, as has been noted by many, not going harder after him after we identified him as a possible fit AND he showed a desire to want to come here).
Ahmed Hill (has turned into the tough, athletic and skilled big man... the type we have sorely missed since Alex Oriakhi left).
Tyrique Jones (another one of those athletic bigs who also had a skill set that has developed nicely at Xavier).
Bruce Brown (the highest ranked of all these guys mentioned, but I bring him up only because at one point he was very interested in coming here, and it was our interest that apparently waned. Was there someone in his camp requesting a hand out? Honestly do not know, but nothing has come of it since, therefore let us assume there is no "there, there". So this one goes in the WTF category, as he would have seriously helped us).

EDIT: Definitely add Chris Clarke (at Virginia Tech) to this list as well. That guy is a freaking bull, and a total high-energy guy. Brings it every night. We could always use a lunch-pail guy like that here who combines good skills with strong leadership and great energy.

This sampling is proof that Ollie and staff have identified talent in the high 3* to 4* range quite well - they just didn't win (or try to win, in a couple of notable cases) those recruiting battles. That is the real lasting negative of Ollie's recent recruiting... not being able to close the deal on the right guys.

Listing underrated recruits who didn't have committable offers and who blew up in college isn't helping your case.

Reaction Score
Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #destroyedthisprogram
If Kevin Ollie was even capable of destroying this program, don't you think there is something or several other things inherently wrong with the program?

Reaction Score
If Kevin Ollie was even capable of destroying this program, don't you think there is something or several other things inherently wrong with the program?

A college head coach is the GM and game Coach. Who else is responsible when everything collapses?

Reaction Score
Thanks. Hoping that nothing comes out of this investigation that makes me change how I feel about Ollie. He means well, but it just doesn't seem like he has what it takes. We should remember what he did as a player and that amazing run in 2014.

I hate the thought of the our fan base chasing him out of town with pitchforks and torches. I think we need to keep in mind what is really important in life and just move on.

It's probably best if our next coach doesn't come from the Calhoun lineage. I think it will save a lot of grief if it doesn't work out. This is why it's a bad idea to mix business and family.
Here's the thing. If you think there are more important things in life than basketball - which is true - then NONE of this really matters, right ? If that's really true, then Kevin Ollie's contribution to things is really unimportant, either good or bad.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, but being merely “better than Ollie” will do little to satisfy people.
You don't know that. And there are a lot of people in UConn nation. They would be satisfied to a widely varying degree. If people aren't satisfied with how much better than Ollie he is, yes, the majority may call for another coaching change to try and take another step forward. For me, I want to try and do better and see where that takes us. Nothing in life is guaranteed and rarely does life play out exactly how you want it to. So you do your best to set a course in the right direction and see where that takes you. Then you evaluate where you are and set the next course, and so on. Life is indeed a journey. In fact, that is what makes it interesting. We are all merely explorers. That can be scary or it can be exciting, or both.

We traveled from CT to ND and it is damned cold here. Go west and hope for better terrain and weather. Don't stay in this cold wasteland!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom