Let's Admit it: Jeff Walz is One of WCBB's Best Coaches | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Let's Admit it: Jeff Walz is One of WCBB's Best Coaches

Reaction Score
I'd guess Walz is like a lot of coaches in that it's less talent as it is fit. He's a hard ass, can be acerbic to his players but if he gets that right collection of players who sift through it and play like he coaches...results follow and the best example of that is Fuehring who plays like Walz coaches. Rugged and rough around the edges. Oddly enough he's doing it this year with a group a little different from the 09 and 13 squads which were helped along by a decent local recruiting pool to draw that provided roster depth (Monique Riggs, Tia Gibbs and Candice Bingham were Louisvillians on the 09 roster; Antonita Slaughter was a Louisvillian on the '13 roster with Kentuckian Hammond). This squad really doesn't have any local kids on it with scholarships and the talent in the City is in the underclasses; we're landing players out in the state in areas you'd consider to be UK turf in the Class of 2018 including the likely Ms. Basketball Saygain Robbins. Louisville is likely going to become very perimeter oriented the next two years.
Great assessment. Tia Gibbs was not on the ‘09 tea
Thats funny, Jeffy didn't think so when she was on his U19 USA team;) Or is this just sour grapes because she left, not a good side to show.
Mariya leaving HELPED everyone including her. She needed a change Good move for HER. No sour grapes. I was thrilled she was leaving and thought she made a great decision to play with her sister. I thought it was a great move getting out of L’viile. A few fans thought she let the team down by leaving but almost all wish her the best. She got lucky too when they hired the new coach. I will enjoy watching her on PAC 12 network

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Great assessment. Tia Gibbs was not on the ‘09 tea

Mariya leaving HELPED everyone including her. She needed a change Good move for HER.[/QUOTE

Hmmm really. Then give details or are you just going to keep trashing her.

I may be a Bruin but I know Mark Trakh really well.

Reaction Score
yup good coach and the players love him
First time poster on this board although I have admired it for years. Best in the country on women's basketball and it certainly should be. From time to time , I have read some posts here poke fun at Walz who we in Louisville have come to revere. That is certainly OK as our fans do the same. We are certainly glad the Cards are in the final four this year and that UCONN is there as usual. We hope to get to play against you again in the finals but there is a small hurdle in front of us. I did want to bring to the attention of those who care that Walz is a great fan of of Geno. In the post game conference press conference following the regional final win, he really took to task the media who asked the question is "Connecticut's clear dominance of women's basketball good for the game". I invite all who care to watch what he said to the press in the attached youtube at about 17 minutes 30 seconds . There is a great camaraderie among coaches and i wish it extended to fans. I was in Columbus for the double header at the start of the season which featured UCONN and U of L and was in awe of your team and still am.

Reaction Score
Bingo. To me, he’s definitely behind the following coaches:
-Geno
-Muffet
-Tara
-Schaefer
-Mulkey
-Rueck
-Staley

His results have been streaky at best. I may get flack for putting Rueck over him, but overall Rueck has done a lot more with less than Jeff has. Walz recruits well and can come up with some good game plans (usually centered around being extremely physical) but player development and molding good basketball teams hasn’t been a strength in recent years.

*edited to include Staley*
I would never take Staley over Walz. Call me crazy. Staley is head and shoulders better at recruiting transfers. That’s it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Aww, thanks for noticing my absence :)

Busy with work and family-building stuff (no, not THAT kind of family-building stuff :D ) Also, school work. Working on getting a masters in Geographic Information Systems online.
Very cool. I took my first foray into mapping at the zipcode level last year and hope to get down to the block level this year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would never take Staley over Walz. Call me crazy. Staley is head and shoulders better at recruiting transfers. That’s it.

Kind of a toss up for me. Dawn’s teams play really ugly basketball but they win games. She had SC as a 1 seed in 2014, the year before A’ja arrived. I think Walz is a better strategist than Dawn, but in terms of building a good team that will have the best record and chance to advance in the tournament, I’d pick Dawn.

Reaction Score
First time poster on this board although I have admired it for years. Best in the country on women's basketball and it certainly should be. From time to time , I have read some posts here poke fun at Walz who we in Louisville have come to revere. That is certainly OK as our fans do the same. We are certainly glad the Cards are in the final four this year and that UCONN is there as usual. We hope to get to play against you again in the finals but there is a small hurdle in front of us. I did want to bring to the attention of those who care that Walz is a great fan of of Geno. In the post game conference press conference following the regional final win, he really took to task the media who asked the question is "Connecticut's clear dominance of women's basketball good for the game". I invite all who care to watch what he said to the press in the attached youtube at about 17 minutes 30 seconds . There is a great camaraderie among coaches and i wish it extended to fans. I was in Columbus for the double header at the start of the season which featured UCONN and U of L and was in awe of your team and still am.

Welcome to the BY and thanks for your comments. Yeah, that press conference was posted here the night it happened, and Jeff's comments were appreciated here by those who watched it. We give him a hard time, but much respect (and much gratitude for taking out Baylor with Griner for us that year!). Good luck in your game with Mississippi State!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Kind of a toss up for me. Dawn’s teams play really ugly basketball but they win games. She had SC as a 1 seed in 2014, the year before A’ja arrived. I think Walz is a better strategist than Dawn, but in terms of building a good team that will have the best record and chance to advance in the tournament, I’d pick Dawn.
I happen to be a big Jeff fan, however, in 11 years, he’s won 1 regular season and 1 conference title, both this year. And while a great recruiter, he inherited a strong program from Tom Collet, which already had Angel McCoughtry on it and had been to 3 straight NCAA tournaments. After Angel graduated, Jeff missed the NCAA. My point is, he has done well with a running start where as Dawn has built 2 programs, Temple and SC. SC now leads the nation in attendance by 3,200 over #2 UConn. She’s won 4 A10 titles, with 5 straight NCAA tournaments with Temple and 4 SEC Reg season titles, 4 straight SEC Tournament titles and 7straight NCAA tournament appearances. She also has 4 #1 seeds while Jeff has earned his 1st this year.

Jeff is in the top 7 but not ahead of Dawn...yet

Reaction Score
I happen to be a big Jeff fan, however, in 11 years, he’s won 1 regular season and 1 conference title, both this year. And while a great recruiter, he inherited a strong program from Tom Collet, which already had Angel McCoughtry on it and had been to 3 straight NCAA tournaments. After Angel graduated, Jeff missed the NCAA. My point is, he has done well with a running start where as Dawn has built 2 programs, Temple and SC. SC now leads the nation in attendance by 3,200 over #2 UConn. She’s won 4 A10 titles, with 5 straight NCAA tournaments with Temple and 4 SEC Reg season titles, 4 straight SEC Tournament titles and 7straight NCAA tournament appearances. She also has 4 #1 seeds while Jeff has earned his 1st this year.

Jeff is in the top 7 but not ahead of Dawn...yet
Boy you can’t argue with those stats. Most impressive building two programs. All I know is if all things equal and the game is on the line I want Walz in front of my players. I would have zero confidence in Dawn. How she does it is amazing because she looks clueless during a game. Does she have great asst’s and recruiting staff? Actually, she hasn’t recruited any great players (non transfers) outside S Carolina unless they are pg’s. It’s not easy for her

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bingo. To me, he’s definitely behind the following coaches:
-Geno
-Muffet
-Tara
-Schaefer
-Mulkey
-Rueck
-Staley

His results have been streaky at best. I may get flack for putting Rueck over him, but overall Rueck has done a lot more with less than Jeff has. Walz recruits well and can come up with some good game plans (usually centered around being extremely physical) but player development and molding good basketball teams hasn’t been a strength in recent years.

*edited to include Staley*
I'm ok with your first four. I don't think Mulkey is even in the top ten. Is it four years now she hasn't gotten past the Elite 8, with lots of talent. I'm also not super impressed with Dawn, who was a great player and is at best, maybe just shy of a very good coach.
Rueck, Walz and Graces might be the three up and coming coaches but they have to get to more FF and won some before I can fully buy in.
Your top three are spot on and then there's a gap.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Agree that it is inexcusable. But, she does have 2 titles to Walz’s 0 and regularly builds better teams than Jeff does, even if they underperform in March.
She had Griner! Winning with one great player surely doesn't make one a great coach!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Well I'll take Waltz over Muffet. Oh wait we're talking about coaching. Yeah Im not changing my mind
How can one even think he's close to Muffet! She's proven over many years to be amongst probably the top four coaches of all time. And she had a tremendous year coaching with so many injuries,
that is at least equal to the very fine job Walz has done this year!
Why are you and so many others overly impressed by the latest clash in the pan! Yes he's had some other very good teams and also some very good coaching jobs over the past 11 years, but also some significantly weaker ones!
I've read many of your posts and respect you and your opinions but this one is way out there!
Bronx23

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She had Griner! Winning with one great player surely doesn't make one a great coach!
Bronx23

She won with no HS AAs in 2005, too. And yes she had Griner, but if you use that logic, you can discredit 9 of Geno's titles if you claim, "he won because he had Diana/Maya/Stewart"

Griner improved leaps and bounds at Baylor...her personal experience didn't sound like the most positive, but she improved a lot during her time there.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I'm ok with your first four. I don't think Mulkey is even in the top ten. Is it four years now she hasn't gotten past the Elite 8, with lots of talent.

Not to pick on you @Bronx23 , but I thought it would be easier to respond to both of your comments in a single post.

Kim Mulkey only won one title with Griner. She made two Final Fours with Griner (including the year she won). Her team with Griner lost in the Elite Eight to eventual champion Texas A&M in 2011. And Baylor was upset by Louisville in 2013. These are all facts.

But if the standard is a coach who only wins one title while having a great player is used, then what does that say about Geno Auriemma, who only won one title with Rebecca Lobo (who was a transcendent player - the only college player to make the 1996 Olympic Team and one of three faces of the WNBA, with Leslie and Swoopes, when the league was founded).

There is a certain amount of luck or good fortune that goes into winning a national title - whether it is being injury-free, having a better draw, matching up better with opponents, etc. For example, does South Carolina win in 2017 if UConn beats Mississippi State? I would say no, as UConn matched up better with SC and beat SC handily earlier in the year (UConn led by 16 points with 2 minutes to go, before the final margin of 11). In 2012-13, Baylor beat UConn in Hartford, its second straight victory over UConn. But Baylor was upset by Louisville, and UConn defeated the Cardinals for the title. UConn did not match up all that well with Baylor, but it matched up great with Syracuse.

My point is looking at a great player and counting the number of titles does not paint a full picture of a coach, in terms of assessing whether that coach is "great."

@bballnut90

Reaction Score
How can one even think he's close to Muffet! She's proven over many years to be amongst probably the top four coaches of all time. And she had a tremendous year coaching with so many injuries,
Why are you and so many others overly impressed by the latest clash in the pan! Yes he's had some other very good teams and also some very good coaching jobs over the past 11 years, but also some significantly weaker ones!
I've read many of your posts and respect you and your opinions but this one is way out there!
Bronx23
What’s crazy is Walz beat MCGraw this year due to injuries. Injuries are part of the game luckily. Love this L’ville team lately but with Turner and a full crew different result?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Bronx23
Ok my esteemed colleague, please tell me you are
1. A Yankee fan (being from the Bronx I hope so) and
2. who is on your list of 10 coaches ahead of Mulkey?

Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom