Let's Admit it: Jeff Walz is One of WCBB's Best Coaches | The Boneyard

Let's Admit it: Jeff Walz is One of WCBB's Best Coaches

Reaction Score
His team just dismantled an excellent Oregon State team. In eleven years, he's one 298 games? He's got a winning percentage of 76%.

What's impressive is how he's done it with kids in his early years who weren't trumpeted talents. Remember Shoni Shimmel? He made her a great point guard, and with her at the point, defeated Baylor and Britney Griner in the NCAA's. He took Angel McCoughtry and made it to the championship game. And now he's back in the Final Four.

He has a knack for recruiting well, even when in the early years he couldn't get the best talent. And he finds a way to meld these kids together into effective teams. Now that he's getting top talent, he's not underperforming.

Contrast Walz with Baylor, which despite amazing talent, hasn't been back to the Final Four for six years. I think the jury is still out on Dawn Staley, whose teams seem to have difficulty integrating the best big man in the college game.

Just sayin' that Walz deserves his due. Coach Geno once told an interviewer that Muffet McGraw was his "Geno Auriemma." I'm not sure that his "Geno" shouldn't properly be Jeff Walz.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Well not too sure Shoni is a good example. She wasn't held accountable as far as getting in shape and was allowed to take the defensive end off. He has a tendency to allow his go to players to slack at the defensive end and not push them to be more of a team player by making them set screens etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh yeah. See what MD did with him on staff and what they have done since plus his work at Louisvlle. I think most folks on the board just like to poke fun at his all out recruiting.

Reaction Score
His team just dismantled an excellent Oregon State team. In eleven years, he's one 298 games? He's got a winning percentage of 76%.

What's impressive is how he's done it with kids in his early years who weren't trumpeted talents. Remember Shoni Shimmel? He made her a great point guard, and with her at the point, defeated Baylor and Britney Griner in the NCAA's. He took Angel McCoughtry and made it to the championship game. And now he's back in the Final Four.

He has a knack for recruiting well, even when in the early years he couldn't get the best talent. And he finds a way to meld these kids together into effective teams. Now that he's getting top talent, he's not underperforming.

Contrast Walz with Baylor, which despite amazing talent, hasn't been back to the Final Four for six years. I think the jury is still out on Dawn Staley, whose teams seem to have difficulty integrating the best big man in the college game.

Just sayin' that Walz deserves his due. Coach Geno once told an interviewer that Muffet McGraw was his "Geno Auriemma." I'm not sure that his "Geno" shouldn't properly be Jeff Walz.

They one because of good defense today. A little unusual for his teams.

Reaction Score
Seems posters on this board have talked about how good a coach Jeff is for a few years now.

Just think that if we're talking about the very best, Walz is in there. I'd put him ahead of Dawn, ahead of Tara. The jury is out a bit on Reuck and Graves, though they may turn out to be the cream with Walz.

Just sayin'...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
He’s a good coach, no doubt, but he has had several years of underachieving and he hasn’t developed talent to the level that many other top rate coaches do. For example, last year they significantly underachieved. He’s done a great job this year, but he isn’t in my top 5 coaches list.

Reaction Score
If not for UCONN a lot of teams would have a lot of titles

I wouldn't say a lot. We've as far as I can remember, beaten Louisville,Stanford, Notre Dame, Tennessee, can't remember who else but all of those teams have top coaches and would deserve it, but it's only a select elite few. So not a lot.

Reaction Score
If not for Uconn he'd probably already have two titles. And this year maybe would be his third if they didn't run into us again. Although Miss st will be tough to beat.
If you're talking about the final match-ups, than obviously he would have some. But if we're going to pretend Geno wasn't in the equation, Muffet would have 2+ more.

Reaction Score
Taking Louisville to the FF three times with three different rosters in 11 years is an achievement--without the necessity of comparing it to others' accomplishments or the necessity of undercutting it with Walz's less successful years.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Seems posters on this board have talked about how good a coach Jeff is for a few years now.

Yeah, I don't get the "Let's Admit it..." part of the thread title.

Reaction Score
If you're talking about the final match-ups, than obviously he would have some. But if we're going to pretend Geno wasn't in the equation, Muffet would have 2+ more.

That's ok she deserves them. My point is that he would be one of the select few with more than one (possibly) and there are only a select few who has even only one. By the way, I dislike both of those teams but I am being honest.

Reaction Score
Walz is a great coach. But I will probably never cheer for him. He just rubs me the wrong way.

Reaction Score
Walz is a great coach. But I will probably never cheer for him. He just rubs me the wrong way.

I won't be rooting for him either. He really needs someone to buy him a decent shirt. In terms of matching coaching success with sartorial taste, Geno has it all over him!

Reaction Score
That's ok she deserves them. My point is that he would be one of the select few with more than one (possibly) and there are only a select few who has even only one. By the way, I dislike both of those teams but I am being honest.

C Vivian Stringer has disappeared from the top ranks. So, too, Hatchell. Tara doesn't challenge for the NC on a regular basis. Others come and go.

So wonder if the top five coaches list doesn't go Geno above and beyond, then Walz, then Muffet. After that, it's wide open. But that strikes me as the peerless top three.

Reaction Score

He didn't look so great last year.

Reaction Score
C Vivian Stringer has disappeared from the top ranks. So, too, Hatchell. Tara doesn't challenge for the NC on a regular basis. Others come and go.

So wonder if the top five coaches list doesn't go Geno above and beyond, then Walz, then Muffet. After that, it's wide open. But that strikes me as the peerless top three.

Tara is top 3 in my book.

Next Schaefer, Rueck, and Graves.

Walz is somewhere after that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22