Let's Admit it: Jeff Walz is One of WCBB's Best Coaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let's Admit it: Jeff Walz is One of WCBB's Best Coaches

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That's ok she deserves them. My point is that he would be one of the select few with more than one (possibly) and there are only a select few who has even only one. By the way, I dislike both of those teams but I am being honest.

I don’t think he’d have any titles. When do you think they would’ve won a title if UCONN wasn’t in the mix?

The two times they lost to Connecticut were 2009 and 2013.

In 2009, Stanford was a better team by most accounts and lost to UCONN in the semis. I think Tara wins a trophy that year with no Geno.

2013....no way do I see him beating Notre Dame who would be the opponent if UCONN wasn’t there to beat ND. ND handily best Louisville earlier in the year and had a loaded roster with Diggins, Achonwa, McBride and Loyd.

Both of those teams were somewhat Cinderella’s and their magic likely runs out over better, more consistent teams.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
C Vivian Stringer has disappeared from the top ranks. So, too, Hatchell. Tara doesn't challenge for the NC on a regular basis. Others come and go.

So wonder if the top five coaches list doesn't go Geno above and beyond, then Walz, then Muffet. After that, it's wide open. But that strikes me as the peerless top three.
Talk about being a prisoner of the moment.

This is the first postseason since 2013 that Louisville hasn't fizzled out before its time.

Now after 5 years of pulling in blue-chip recruits by the handful, they finally have one good regional weekend and suddenly he's a better coach than Tara and Muffet. Hmm.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Just think that if we're talking about the very best, Walz is in there. I'd put him ahead of Dawn, ahead of Tara. The jury is out a bit on Reuck and Graves, though they may turn out to be the cream with Walz.

Just sayin'...
If one were to go by accomplishments, Tara is the third-best coach of all time. Accomplishments being: Total wins, conference regular season and tournament championships, domination of her conference, Final Fours, and National Championships. She's also pretty good at putting a decent team together over the course of a season. And she does all this with probably the toughest admissions standards in the P5 conferences.

Is Walz a talented coach? Absolutely. One of the best in the game? For sure. Ahead of Tara? He's got to go some.

Reaction Score
Geno, McGraw, Schaefer, Vanderveer are my top coaches in no particular order except Geno first...hard for me to even say his name, rubs me the wrong way as well. Hard to argue though, he led his 2009 squad to the nat’l championship game.

SN: Wonder how this team would be playing differently had Mariya Moore still been there?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wouldn't put Jeff above Tara. I'd have Tara in the Top 3 All Time WBB Coaches. Geno, Pat and then Tara. I'd put Muffet over Jeff as well. Until this year she has dominated Louisville.

Jeff has the horses this year and unlike prior years hs defense matches his offense.

Reaction Score
Here in Maryland people in the know argue that Brenda's best years were when Jeff was assisting.
I'm surprised no one mentioned how well prepared L'ville was today. At the outset the Cards took OSU out of its game and out of its comfort zone. The Beavers never recovered. All I could think was what an excellent plan and execution of a plan Walz had designed and his team delivered. Sagging in on Gulich not only prevented her from shooting, but she was often unable to pass the ball to the perimeter--and turned it over. Truly killed two birds with one stone.
You may remember that UConn did exactly the same to the Cards when we played them. In about one quarter the game was over. Perhaps Jeff got the message.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Talk about being a prisoner of the moment.

This is the first postseason since 2013 that Louisville hasn't fizzled out before its time.

Now after 5 years of pulling in blue-chip recruits by the handful, they finally have one good regional weekend and suddenly he's a better coach than Tara and Muffet. Hmm.

Bingo. To me, he’s definitely behind the following coaches:
-Geno
-Muffet
-Tara
-Schaefer
-Mulkey
-Rueck
-Staley

His results have been streaky at best. I may get flack for putting Rueck over him, but overall Rueck has done a lot more with less than Jeff has. Walz recruits well and can come up with some good game plans (usually centered around being extremely physical) but player development and molding good basketball teams hasn’t been a strength in recent years.

*edited to include Staley*

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Geno
2. Muffet
3. Tara
4- 10 Staley, Schaffer, Rudeck, Walz, Graves, Blair, Freese (all interchangeable at this point)

Reaction Score
Bingo. To me, he’s definitely behind the following coaches:
-Geno
-Muffet
-Tara
-Schaefer
-Mulkey
-Rueck

His results have been streaky at best. I may get flack for putting Rueck over him, but overall Rueck has done a lot more with less than Jeff has. Walz recruits well and can come up with some good game plans (usually centered around being extremely physical) but player development and molding good basketball teams hasn’t been a strength in recent years.

Agree with you on Walz but strongly disagree on Mulkey being that high up.

It is inexcusable to not reach the Final 4 since 2012 with the talent she has had. Criminal.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Agree with you on Walz but strongly disagree on Mulkey being that high up.

It is inexcusable to not reach the Final 4 since 2012 with the talent she has had. Criminal.

Agree that it is inexcusable. But, she does have 2 titles to Walz’s 0 and regularly builds better teams than Jeff does, even if they underperform in March.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Walz also comes up with some great game plans and makes pretty good half time adjustments. He did UConn a big favor by upsetting Baylor in 2013.

Speaking of coaches doing favors... Do you think Vic Shaeffer will tell Dawn that he took our UConn last year and now she can return the favor?

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Geno, McGraw, Schaefer, Vanderveer are my top coaches in no particular order except Geno first...hard for me to even say his name, rubs me the wrong way as well. Hard to argue though, he led his 2009 squad to the nat’l championship game.

SN: Wonder how this team would be playing differently had Mariya Moore still been there?

BINGO!
Serious Chemistry issues last year.

We would not be the same team without the attrition.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
BINGO!
Serious Chemistry issues last year.

We would not be the same team without the attrition.
Was there friction between Durr and Moore? Seems like it.

Reaction Score
And yet Maryland has been to multiple F4s since Walz left.

The notion, pushed by some, that MD's success was solely because of Walz is fallacy.

Maryland has even beaten Louisville to get one of those .

Reaction Score
I find it interesting so many people list Vic Schaefer but not Dawn Staley. She's beaten him in the 3 biggest games they have faced, a national championship and 2 SEC Title games.

Correction...3 SEC title games. A lot of people just don't like Dawn. She has won 4 regular season championship games, 4 tournament championship games, 2 final 4s, and 1 National championship in the last 5 years. However a lot of people don't see her as a great coach. When was the last time Temple has been decent to good. Probably not since Dawn left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No question he is one of the best right now. I don't care for him but I'll take this Jeff Walz over the one who went off two years ago in a post game rant deflecting from himself after losing to Brenda (who he hates) and Maryland in Dec '16 at The Yum calling his players losers who weren't willing to work hard. He forgot he recruited them. I don't recall Brenda after an embarrassing loss in the tournament that year to Washington calling her players losers. That was part of his "trophy" speech. This Jeff Walz is terrific but not the Jeff Walz that would have excuses when they lost to Kentucky 5 straight times instead of just saying KY was better and if they weren't he might of been out coached. His offenses the last 3 years (before this year) were unwatchable. It started to look like he couldn't coach offense they had so little chemistry. His team lost went 11 straight against top 15 at the end of the year (Feb '15- all of '16-'17) . He has finally got a terrific team with some chemistry. The last 3 years prior to this year he hasn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh yeah. See what MD did with him on staff and what they have done since his his work at Louisvlle. I think most folks on the board just like to poke fun at his all out recruiting.
Walz will go after any talent he likes if he thinks he has any shot at them. He just likes to know asap if he doesn't so he doesn't burn resources. He's had several recruits that didn't work like anyone else. B. Jones #40 Hoopgurlz to Geo Wash, DeGrate #99 to Tex Tech, Ciera Johnson #17 (McD AA) transferred to A&M, Taja Cole #26 (McD AA) transf to Georgia but that worked out since they picked up Dana Evans. Mariya Moore #42 to USC worked out great since she'll get to play with her sister and Jasmine Jones got her minutes which improved team athleticism and defense. Last few years they have carried 14-15 on roster to make up for the misses which of course will lead to transfers. This year he has 10 on the bench (after redshirts) which is ideal. He told Ciera Johnson she was the missing piece to a Nat'l Championship. He may get it without her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And yet Maryland has been to multiple F4s since Walz left.

The notion, pushed by some, that MD's success was solely because of Walz is fallacy.

How did Maryland do in the final 4s without Walz ?

They were destroyed and had very talented teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't like Walz very much, but I'm glad to see recruiting that also matches his coaching talent. I'm still stunned with all the top-flight talent that has chosen Aston, Mulkey, JPM and Warlick of late, despite poor tourney results with immense talent. Many of the coaches cited above develop talent and teams much better and should be reaping recruiting success.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Correction...3 SEC title games. A lot of people just don't like Dawn. She has won 4 regular season championship games, 4 tournament championship games, 2 final 4s, and 1 National championship in the last 5 years. However a lot of people don't see her as a great coach. When was the last time Temple has been decent to good. Probably not since Dawn left.
Temple was pretty good last year. They made the tournament and lost to Oregon by only one point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom