Let the Hawk fly now please! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Let the Hawk fly now please!

Reaction Score
Jackson, Martin and Whaley bring too many overlapping qualities and all lack enough offense to justify keeping all three on the court together, much less starting.
Martin can score its just a coin flip on which Martin will show up.

Reaction Score
Hawkins has no handle. He is a turnover waiting to happen. There is no magic combination thats going to turn this team around. I said February would tell us the truth about this team and so far no bueno.

Reaction Score
Hawkins has no handle. He is a turnover waiting to happen. There is no magic combination thats going to turn this team around. I said February would tell us the truth about this team and so far no bueno.

We need his scoring, plus teams have to know where he is on offense. With AJ you dare him to shoot becuase he probably won’t.

Reaction Score
Correct. But he’s a scoring threat and can get hot. We also need a scoring option inside to go with Sanogo like Nova had. They pump faked and made layups all day. Is that so hard to teach?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m so on the fence about this. If you bench Whaley for Hawkins, you’re accepting the defense taking a significant step back for the sake of theoretical offense. Jackson is too good to be benched, the way this board flip flops on him is bizarre. Hawkins also can’t create his own shot, so every shot he gets would have to be created by cole or Jackson.

But at the same time, can we afford to keep running this same lineup out there that goes through so many dead periods offensively? My hope was cole and sanogo could carry them, but that’s not reliable enough.

I don’t think there’s an answer on this roster. Hawkins has not earned a starting spot, and he’s had opportunities Sool could only dream of. This is a team that needs to win lower scoring games sometimes.

We also lost to Nova because of defense, which normally wouldn’t be the case.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah at this point might as well roll with Hawkins and hopefully more playing time increases his confidence and eventually decreases the mistakes.

Except Polley isnt ever really direct competition for Hawkins playing time. If you pay attention to rotations, Hawkins is Jacksons direct replacement 90% of time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Hawkins should play over Polley or at least get more minutes. He should also start over Martin IMO with Martin first off the bench.

His handle isn't good but that's why you play him with Cole and/or Jackson. All he has to worry about is defense and to catch and shoot

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Except Polley isnt ever really direct competition for Hawkins playing time. If you pay attention to rotations, Hawkins is Jacksons direct replacement 90% of time.
Which makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Jackson, Martin and Whaley bring too many overlapping qualities and all lack enough offense to justify keeping all three on the court together, much less starting.
Could not agree more. Just can’t keep starting games w such an offensively challenged lineup. We get into an early deficit seemingly every single game.

Orc

Reaction Score
Was hoping he’d make more of an impact for us this year. Its been an up and mostly down freshman campaign for our supposedly next nba draft pick

Reaction Score
Was hoping he’d make more of an impact for us this year. Its been an up and mostly down freshman campaign for our supposedly next nba draft pick
Some of us rated him too high due to his glowing recruiting reports and his impact in the first few games of the season. When people said his handle was sub-par many of us including myself overlooked it. It isn't that his handle is awful as he can do some fancy in between the legs dribbling to create distance on his jump shot. It is just when he tries to go left and right he tends to lose his handle then. He is still a great penetrator when the lane is open due to his first step and jumping ability. His penetration and pass to Whaley in the Villanova game was nice to see and reinforces this point. If he can play within himself and take what the defense gives him he can definitely start for us as he does have the best looking outside shot on the team.

Reaction Score
AJ is a huge rebounder. They both need to play.
Yeah if Hawk is going to start it has to be Whaley going to the bench. Sanogo even though a liability at times for the offensive flow is just too important for our inside game to not to start. I personally think the offense flows better with Whaley in now but Sanogo when on can't be stopped. Problem is teams are working to stop him and we pretty much don't run offense through him when that happens or he becomes a black hole if he does get the ball down low.

CV1

Reaction Score
I think the focus should really be on the total minutes allocated between Hawkins and Polley. In the Creighton and Depaul game, about 30 minutes of PT was given to them in total and Polley took about 70 percent of those. In the Nova game, the minutes were about even because Hurley gave Hawkins a nice, long look late in the 2nd half. I’d say Hawkins should be getting more of Polley’s minutes now. Would love to see Polley break out and provide consistent scoring but the reality is that Hawkins has way more potential. Let Hawkins play through his defensive shortcomings and see what he can do if he knows he will be allowed to play through some missed shots or mistakes.

Reaction Score
If rothstein is tweeting it you better believe the staff knows it or more likely, fed that nugget to him. Here’s hoping they let him fly!

Reaction Score
DH is nudging him out of the nest--That's when you learn how to fly.. PT

As Raf would say..Once he gets his puppies organized--he's money

Curiouser
Reaction Score
hawk GIF

Reaction Score
Looks like a completely different guy lately? His D has improved so much that he’s a big part of the rotation now. His handle seems to be improving as well, passing too. He single-handedly transforms the team into one that can beat anybody.

Reaction Score
Hawk has the potential to be the best player on this team. It’s been all about confidence and believing in himself this year hopefully he’s gotten over that hurdle for the final stretch and makes UConn a team no one wants to see
Absolutely. I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say he has the biggest NBA potential on the team.Sanogo, Martín and Jackson all have a good chance to play there but Hawkins to me is a lock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom