Let the Hawk fly now please! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let the Hawk fly now please!

Reaction Score
I’m gonna accentuate the positive today and say it is time to let Hawkins play more and earlier—if not starting—from here out. It is the only thing that could change the dynamic this season, and it is sure to pay dividends next season irrespective.
Please, yes!

Reaction Score
I’m gonna accentuate the positive today and say it is time to let Hawkins play more and earlier—if not starting—from here out. It is the only thing that could change the dynamic this season, and it is sure to pay dividends next season irrespective.

Ehh he still can’t dribble and has awful court awareness. Happy to play him over Polley since they are basically the same player. A streaky shooter who brings nothing else to the table.

Reaction Score
You must have missed him getting lost when the game was still competitive. Nice run at the end and if he improves just a little, he will be very good. If he improves a lot, he will be unstoppable.

Isn't a difference maker yet. As many pluses as minuses, just like AJ. Those two tighten up their games and next season will be better.
He’s had rough patches for sure. One of his defensive lapses today was especially glaring. Still, I only think he’ll improve by playing more. There is some risk to playing a young guy, but also considerable upside. We also need to know what to expect from him next year.

Reaction Score
If this next week is similar to the last week we probably slide into a position where we are playing for next year. At that point pretty much all the freshman deserve more minutes. In particular Hawkins.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You must have missed him getting lost when the game was still competitive. Nice run at the end and if he improves just a little, he will be very good. If he improves a lot, he will be unstoppable.

Isn't a difference maker yet. As many pluses as minuses, just like AJ. Those two tighten up their games and next season will be better.
Nope didn’t miss that. He’s far from perfect and has a lot to learn, and he had some boneheaded defensive slips today. But I don’t see a better potential offensive option to develop and I think he has the best upside chance of any player on this year’s team. And we need more offensive options more than we need anything else.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Start Hawk and bring Martin off the bench. If you put Jackson on the bench for Hawkins the team is even worse with ballhandling and passing. Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Whaley, Sanogo.

Or, go real small and make Martin the 4. Cole, Jackson, Hawkins, Martin and Sanogo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He’s had rough patches for sure. One of his defensive lapses today was especially glaring. Still, I only think he’ll improve by playing more. There is some risk to playing a young guy, but also considerable upside. We also need to know what to expect from him next year.
We should be thinking more sets setting screens for him to open him up for three. He’s a streaky shooter, but it feels like he’s starting to get confident. The investment in him earlier in the season is starting to pay off.

Reaction Score
I don't discount his defensive liability but it's not just about playing the kid. Hurley has to make him the scoring option. He does not have the green light to take those shots, some forced like last 2 minutes today. But he will make some of them if allowed. In fact he may score better that way rather than wait for perfect uncontested jump shots.

Reaction Score
We should be thinking more sets setting screens for him to open him up for three. He’s a streaky shooter, but it feels like he’s starting to get confident. The investment in him earlier in the season is starting to pay off.
He is the ultimate freshman. Looked good (offensively x dribbling) today, but went o fer in his last two games. He is one dimensional at the moment.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
AJ isn't that great passing as for every highlight reel pass he makes a boneheaded one. AJ needs to work on his midrange jump shot so when he gets in the lane he doesn't always have to make that ugly floater he does. Now maybe AJ can play point when RJ is on the bench and you bring in Hawkins off the bench. I just don't want to see Gaffney out there again.
Need something besides the 15 foot underhand floater. One more point wasn't there a thread early on as to how many times AJ was going to posterize somone with a massive slam? I think his pregame was to try and take it to the hoop but after he got stripped it seems it was abandoned

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He is the ultimate freshman. Looked good (offensively x dribbling) today, but went o fer in his last two games. He is one dimensional at the moment.
Yep, that’s why the best way to use him is let him take open threes

Reaction Score
Yes with 12more turnovers.

Reaction Score
We know he needs to only dribble a ball and stay in front of people until next October.

Reaction Score
When Hurley wanted Sanogo to develop, he put him in the starting line up, even whn he didin't deserve it. Perhaps, he should do the same with Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Need something besides the 15 foot underhand floater. One more point wasn't there a thread early on as to how many times AJ was going to posterize somone with a massive slam? I think his pregame was to try and take it to the hoop but after he got stripped it seems it was abandoned
You mean that one time were he try to posterize Daniels and got the ball shoved back in his face! Yeah, that was embarrasing.

Reaction Score
Ehh he still can’t dribble and has awful court awareness. Happy to play him over Polley since they are basically the same player. A streaky shooter who brings nothing else to the table.
But if Polley gets playing time, is he going to improve very much? I think probably not. But I definitely think Hawkins will improve considerably, so he has much more upside. If he can work on his handle, and learn how to go around a screen with one or two dribbles, and develop that quick jump shot more, he'll be so valuable. I also think he has good defensive potential as I feel he can move his feet quickly. He'll develop that court awareness if he gets playing time and targeted instruction.

Reaction Score
Start Hawk and bring Martin off the bench. If you put Jackson on the bench for Hawkins the team is even worse with ballhandling and passing. Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Whaley, Sanogo.

Or, go real small and make Martin the 4. Cole, Jackson, Hawkins, Martin and Sanogo.
There are 3 guys that should always start and that’s RJ, Tyrese, & Sanogo. I’m fine with playing around with the other two, but those guys deserve to start. They’re the best players.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He's one of the very few guys who can create his own shot and create for others... Get him more minutes and let him play through mistakes. I swear Jackson plays better with him on the court since they actually look for each other and feed off each other. With as good as Martin is he is TERRIBLE at finding others. Like so bad. Him and Sanago are black holes with the ball. We need more guys like Hawkins out there who can offset that.

I would like to see more of this lineup going forward... Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Martin, Sanago. Let Whaley play more 5 coming off the bench (because that's where he played his best over the years) and let the rest of the lineup shake out from there. Our size is not an advantage when we can't create open shots for anybody worth a damn. At least with this one we have 3 capable passers and 3 capable shooters. I don't see Jackson coming off the bench being a good thing because he doesn't score. Guys like that aren't good coming off the bench typically. He does the little things (rebounding, passing, and defense) that you need in the starting lineup. Just need to put more scorers around him in the meantime.

Reaction Score
But if Polley gets playing time, is he going to improve very much? I think probably not. But I definitely think Hawkins will improve considerably, so he has much more upside. If he can work on his handle, and learn how to go around a screen with one or two dribbles, and develop that quick jump shot more, he'll be so valuable. I also think he has good defensive potential as I feel he can move his feet quickly. He'll develop that court awareness if he gets playing time and targeted instruction.

That’s fine and all but we are trying to win games now and you can’t win games when your shooting guard turns the ball over every time he dribbles. His turnover today was terrible. Zero court awareness

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That’s fine and all but we are trying to win games now and you can’t win games when your shooting guard turns the ball over every time he dribbles. His turnover today was terrible. Zero court awareness
Not for nothing but if Polley isn't knocking shots down he's pretty much useless. Which happens too often nowadays and at this point he's too old not to be consistent. At least let Jordan play through his mistakes to get better. He can have a way bigger impact than Polley and at the least is a good passer.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but if Polley isn't knocking shots down he's pretty much useless. Which happens too often nowadays and at this point he's too old not to be consistent. At least let Jordan play through his mistakes to get better. He can have a way bigger impact than Polley and at the least is a good passer.

Yeah at this point might as well roll with Hawkins and hopefully more playing time increases his confidence and eventually decreases the mistakes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Jackson as a 2 or 3.usually a scorers position, I think is a drag on our offense. Yes he makes some really good passes and yes he rebounds and can block shots. His role is a little odd for what a scoring guard is usually expected to do. Nearing the end of his second year he’s only had a few really good scoring nights and has a bunch of either turnovers in his rush to create or bad drives into traffic. He’s sort of both fun and a pain to watch in an “oh brother” kind of way. Whaley scores better overall, defends and rebounds. Martin is a much better scorer although also prone to bad drives into traffic. I don’t know if Hawkins will ultimately bring us more, but it won’t hurt to find out and let him get more of Jackson’s time. That would be my choice.

On O, our team really doesn’t have a player that the opponents have to worry about taking over games and scoring from all 3 levels and going off for between 20-30 points a game. Cole comes the closest but he’d be a lot more effective as a complementary threat. Hawkins shows a hint, but is a terrible defender like a lot of young guys. We are a team right now of pretty good role players so we are no pushover, but a team that can lose some maybe we figure to win but also win some we don’t figure to win.

I know there’s a lot of Hurley trashing but his record says he knows how to coach despite some overreactions on the BY including some ridiculous takes like they don’t practice enough foul shooting. All I know about Hawkins and his playing time to date is that maybe it could be more, and maybe it could be some of Jackson’s time or less of Gaffney. Not so sure about Polley. I’m sure there would be people here who would be yapping for more Polley if Hawkins was inconsistent and whining about too much playing time for Hawkins if his defense cost wins. We’ll see if Hurley thinks there is a trigger to pull for Hawkins.

Reaction Score
It’s alarmingly bad. I cringe every time he gets the ball. He’s like amidships always falling down or dham spin moving into a defender at the foul line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom