Let the Hawk fly now please! | The Boneyard

Let the Hawk fly now please!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m gonna accentuate the positive today and say it is time to let Hawkins play more and earlier—if not starting—from here out. It is the only thing that could change the dynamic this season, and it is sure to pay dividends next season irrespective.

Reaction Score
Today felt like a step forward for Hawkins in terms of his desire to impose his will. I hope we get him lots of shots from here on out. There were a few positives today but Hawkins was definitely one of them. The only other ones I can really think of were Sanogo battling hard in the second half and Cole putting up numbers although it seemed in an inefficient way.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’d consider starting him. He’s arguably our most talented player. Jackson as sixth man could come in for Martin, Hawkins, Whaley, or Sanogo. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Cole/Martin/Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo lineup more often.
Jackson, Martin and Whaley bring too many overlapping qualities and all lack enough offense to justify keeping all three on the court together, much less starting.

Reaction Score
Hawkins hasn't played 20 minutes since the 12/11 St. Bonaventure game.

He got 17 minutes today. I don't think he needs to start, but I'm hoping he gets at least 20 minutes on Tuesday.

He should play all of Gaffney's minutes that he gets at the 2. I don't mind Gaffney as a backup PG, but he shouldn't be on the court with Cole.

Reaction Score
I’m gonna accentuate the positive today and say it is time to let Hawkins play more and earlier—if not starting—from here out. It is the only thing that could change the dynamic this season, and it is sure to pay dividends next season irrespective.
Agree. The sky is not falling, but I think a little shakeup is needed to inject some more life into the team. If Hawkins is going to play a key role next season, you might as well try and get him some more minutes now, especially If hes playing well.

Reaction Score
Him taking it to the rim is hard to watch. It’s like he doesn’t even think he’s gonna make a layup, he just chucks it up there. But i’m glad he’s attacking a bit more, at least.

Reaction Score
I agree that either polley or Hawkins needs to start for Jackson. Jackson has the versatility of literally subbing in 1-4 based on early foul trouble and performance. This would allow RJ to get off the ball or get a break ball handling.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Hawkins will end up being an exceptional player here. Unfortunately, he scored 9 this afternoon on 3 treys, but he gave up another 12-14 on missed defensive assignments. He'll learn eventually, but right now he's sporadic. If you want to put the freshmen in for extended minutes, I'm all for that. Experience is a great way to learn. Just don't expect a lot of wins.

Reaction Score
And he doesn’t have to be wide open to shoot. That’s a big deal on a team that is so bad offensively. Play him big mins. No other choice.
He has our quickest release and isn’t hesitant to shoot. He’s looked shaky with his handle, but it’s clear he’s still confident in his shot.

Reaction Score
Jackson, Martin and Whaley bring too many overlapping qualities and all lack enough offense to justify keeping all three on the court together, much less starting.
This is the problem with our starting lineup and our team. Hard to beat a good team with a lineup that can't score enough points.

Reaction Score
Him taking it to the rim is hard to watch. It’s like he doesn’t even think he’s gonna make a layup, he just chucks it up there. But i’m glad he’s attacking a bit more, at least.
Sounds familiar on this team.

Reaction Score
Today felt like a step forward for Hawkins in terms of his desire to impose his will. I hope we get him lots of shots from here on out. There were a few positives today but Hawkins was definitely one of them. The only other ones I can really think of were Sanogo battling hard in the second half and Cole putting up numbers although it seemed in an inefficient way.
Nice to see Hawkins hit a few 3s. it would be better if he actually did it when the game was still in doubt.
Sanogo battling hard in the 2nd half…a positive….really. He got taken to the woodshed (outrebounded 10-2, out scored 24-14) by a less talented player. That’s 3 straight poor games by our “best player”
Cole’s numbers were numbers only. Bumped up his scoring average but didn’t help make the team competitive. Missed the most important 3 when he could have made it 70-63.

CV1

Reaction Score
I’m on board with this now too. Give him a consistent 20-25 minutes and let him play through his defensive mistakes maybe then he doesn’t feel like he will get pulled if he missed a shot or 2. Polley should be a 10 minute per game guy at best, especially if he misses his first couple of shots. Hawkins has the long term potential. Gotta give Sanogo and Cole another threat out there so they can have room to operate

Reaction Score
Hawkins should start however. AJax has given the team nothing lately. Love AJax but we need a lot more from him.

Reaction Score
Hawkins brings more than AJ (0-6 2s, 0-3 3s, and just one free throw today). AJ is too scared to shoot and hasn't yet figured out how to score. His passing is unmatched, but still he's no threat to score. I really saw some regression in AJ today, which is shocking for his talent. Perhaps a benching may change his performances.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You must have missed him getting lost when the game was still competitive. Nice run at the end and if he improves just a little, he will be very good. If he improves a lot, he will be unstoppable.

Isn't a difference maker yet. As many pluses as minuses, just like AJ. Those two tighten up their games and next season will be better.

Reaction Score
If he plays like today, sign me up. Unfortunately we're only 19 games into his career so that's far from a given

Reaction Score
Yep I think starting Hawkins and letting him play though his mistakes is the key. He even had a nice drive and dish to Whaley for a basket.

Reaction Score
Hawkins brings more than AJ (0-6 2s, 0-3 3s, and just one free throw today). AJ is too scared to shoot and hasn't yet figured out how to score. His passing is unmatched, but still he's no threat to score. I really saw some regression in AJ today, which is shocking for his talent. Perhaps a benching may change his performances.
AJ isn't that great passing as for every highlight reel pass he makes a boneheaded one. AJ needs to work on his midrange jump shot so when he gets in the lane he doesn't always have to make that ugly floater he does. Now maybe AJ can play point when RJ is on the bench and you bring in Hawkins off the bench. I just don't want to see Gaffney out there again.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah I think it's time to bench Whaley a little more. He has too many game like today where he contributes basically nothing.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It’s fine. And I was just texting someone about that . And overall I agree, but look at today as microcosm. First half game in balance, not good. At all. Really bad actually. Top 3 defensive errors on season, so bad that mild mannered Polley pointed at him and said “wtf” ( and we made another of top 3 in same game not involving him)……… 2nd half down 23 , no pressure, no fear, he was outstanding to the point of being our best player on both ends.and not just for 3 shooting. This is tough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom