Legitimate Problem: Hockey Home Opener or First Night? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Legitimate Problem: Hockey Home Opener or First Night?

Which would you go to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, this is a lay-up decision - go to the hockey game. I am old school about First Night - I have basketball season tickets but have never gone to First Night. Now that First Night is combined with the Woman's celebration there is even less reason to go from a basketball perspective.

For the casual fan this activity is fine - bring the whole family and it's free. However, from a basketball perspective it's worthless and the spectacle of it can be annoying. Again, if you enjoy this type of thing - please go and have fun. I know Calhoun tolerated First Night as opposed to liking it - some of the players and recruits do seem to enjoy it. But, it's no longer even appropriately named - since practice has been going on since early this month.

Seriously?

Your recommendation is to watch a “should win” hockey game against a team that practices by roller-blading over concrete in the sands of Arizona?

Shouldn’t the OP instead watch the birth of UConn basketball championships number 15 and 16?

Reaction Score
Maybe it's because I'm not an alumnus, but there isn't another sport at UConn that would ever eclipse basketball for me. I'm a fan of the basketball teams for reasons that have nothing to do with the fact that they belong to a university that has other teams. I get the fact that success for all teams helps the athletic department generally, and that some people are fans for reasons other than mine, but it's not crazy to not have interest in hockey (or any other sport the school participates in).

Reaction Score
It does mean something. It's a spectacle that a lot of recruits will be at. You think someone like Hamidou Diallo is going to be impressed with a half empty Gampel on First Night because everyone went to a hockey game? He could go down to Rupp Arena and see 20,000 inbreds gawking over Drake and pick UK because that's going to be more alluring to an impressionable 17 year old than "Well there was a hockey game tonight, sooo...". I know there's a lot of die hards on this site who want support the whole spectrum of the athletic department, but basketball is first at UConn. Always first. First Night is even more important because we're in the American. If we were in the Big East still it may not be as big of a deal but we need to take advantage of the opportunities to assert ourselves as the elite of the elite programs with all the fan support, glitz and glamour that comes with First Night. Because a half empty XL Center against Tulane in February is not going to cut it. First Night is a big deal, and means a lot, especially when we're coming off a first round NIT exit last year and have the rumblings of a big bounce back year this year. The excitement needs to start on Friday at First Night. It's more important than a hockey game.

Are you going to first night?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It occurs to me that the basketball-only fans are losing sight that the OP IS a hockey fan and his/she has a genuine desire to go to both.

By the way, a "should-win" regular season game beats a no-win scrimmage every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I've already made my opinion known. Just wanted to point that out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now that First Night is combined with the Woman's celebration there is even less reason to go from a basketball perspective.

Oh, snap. I think the fact that the women have a program worthy of a combined event is a feature, not a bug.

C

Chief00

Seriously?

Your recommendation is to watch a “should win” hockey game against a team that practices by roller-blading over concrete in the sands of Arizona?

Shouldn’t the OP instead watch the birth of UConn basketball championships number 15 and 16?

First night isn't competitive basketball. If it helps with recruiting - whatever works I am for. As I stated - it's great and fun for the casual fun - and we need lots of them. Go and have fun! But, you won't find Chief00 there!

The real "First Night" happened in Guyer Gym. But, granted it is not a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
First night isn't competitive basketball. If it helps with recruiting - whatever works I am for. As I stated - it's great and fun for the casual fun - and we need lots of them. Go and have fun! But, you won't find Chief00 there!

The real "First Night" happened in Guyer Gym. But, granted it is not a lot of fun.

You didn't respond to my main point, the final line:

"Shouldn’t the OP instead watch the birth of UConn basketball championships number 15 and 16?"

Reaction Score
I learn lots of things on the Boneyard and apply them to other situations. UConn Basketball is like Pepe's pizza. UConn Hockey is like Greek pizza. The best Greek pizza is not as good as any New Haven pizza. Therefore, UConn basketball is an easy choice.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seriously?

Yeah, an ASU team that the Big Ten is considering adding to its hockey league. Might we want a large crowd as we kick their asses? Just maybe?

First night is a sideshow of no importance whatsoever. The birth of the next championship occurs when we play a game that counts, not at a pep rally. I think regular season hockey likely trumps even pre-season basketball games.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, this is a lay-up decision - go to the hockey game. I am old school about First Night - I have basketball season tickets but have never gone to First Night. Now that First Night is combined with the Woman's celebration there is even less reason to go from a basketball perspective.

For the casual fan this activity is fine - bring the whole family and it's free. However, from a basketball perspective it's worthless and the spectacle of it can be annoying. Again, if you enjoy this type of thing - please go and have fun. I know Calhoun tolerated First Night as opposed to liking it - some of the players and recruits do seem to enjoy it. But, it's no longer even appropriately named - since practice has been going on since early this month.
UConn held an actual Midnight Madness before the 1998-'99 season, my senior year. Gampel was probably 3/4 full and fans started leaving just after the scrimmage started. The dunk and 3 point contests were semi entertaining, but there was no passion in the scrimmage. You got the feeling the players wanted to get out of there and save their energy for inevitable suicides they were going to run later that day in the real practice.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see the pro-basketball arguments when its Uconn/Furman bball vs Uconn/Houston football (last home game of the season).

If you're a Uconn fan you choose the Hockey game. If you're a basketball only fan you choose First Night. Also the obvious note is you spent money on hockey where as first night is free. Get your moneys worth. They'll both have decent attendance regardless IMO.

Reaction Score
it would only be a "legitimate problem" if you were on the hockey AND basketball roster...

or if your choice affected your life and/or health

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see the pro-basketball arguments when its Uconn/Furman bball vs Uconn/Houston football (last home game of the season).

If you're a Uconn fan you choose the Hockey game. If you're a basketball only fan you choose First Night. Also the obvious note is you spent money on hockey where as first night is free. Get your moneys worth. They'll both have decent attendance regardless IMO.
For the houston furman conflict, there are season ticket holders for both which makes it hard to choose. I am hoping that they are at different times so I don't have to choose.

Reaction Score
If UConn football is in it I will defiantly be there. Also as of right now Houston is a top 25 team.
Thats gonna be a blow out. UConn wants to get into a bowl game their gonna have to win vs ECU USF and Tulane.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For the houston furman conflict, there are season ticket holders for both which makes it hard to choose.
For fans of both it's an easy choice. Last home FB game versus one of several lousy home hoop games?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Both game times are TBD, my guess is they are waiting for the football to be slotted and then slot the basketball game. Regardless of the fans in the dark shaded area of the Venn Diagram who may have tickets for both, SNY wants to maximize their viewership for basketball as much as ESPN does for football. My guess is SNY will wait for the football game to be slotted and then establish the basketball game tip-off.

That said, It's been 35 years since Furman has even sniffed the NCAA Tournament. UConn will hopefully be competing for a bowl game.

Here's my hope (in order):
12:00 basketball tip off/3:30 football kickoff
4:00 basketball tip/7:00 kickoff
12:00 Kickoff/7:00 tipoff (best case for those with tix to both).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It would depend on a couple things for me. The first thing I did after reading the OP was go to the UConn website to see who they were playing. Arizona State? Like @BigErnMcCracken I had no idea that they even had a hockey team. I had always thought of college hockey as more of a regional thing, with a ton of east coast schools involved and some from the Midwest. Does ASU have a good team? If I'm skipping first night, I'd want to make sure the game is competitive...otherwise it's really just a half-step ahead of first night on the intensity scale.

Proximity would probably factor in, too. If I could easily make it to the XL center, I'd probably go with the hockey game. If I'm a student on campus, and it's a Friday night, I'm probably not planning on taking a bus to Hartford.
Actually Arizona State like UConn is promoting it's hockey program and has an invite to play hockey in the B!G! So there is B!G exposure with this game.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah, an ASU team that the Big Ten is considering adding to its hockey league. Might we want a large crowd as we kick their asses? Just maybe?

First night is a sideshow of no importance whatsoever. The birth of the next championship occurs when we play a game that counts, not at a pep rally. I think regular season hockey likely trumps even pre-season basketball games.
I'm with you about ice hockey and B!G relevancy! Actually posted this before reading you made a similar argument.

You're minimizing the value of first night however. There is a chance for another dual championship and putting fans in the seats gets the show literally and figuratively off to a good start. I'm well aware that it is presumptuous to think that an exuberant first night crowd would move the pendulum very far. But everything has impacts. I'm with the OP. His dilemma is not an easy one imo. There is value and sentiment in making either choice.

My hope is that enough students/fans can go to both events and the over all impact is less dependent on OkaForPrez's choice.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
it would only be a "legitimate problem" if you were on the hockey AND basketball roster...

or if your choice affected your life and/or health
You are not a fan unless your team has an impact on your health!:)

Reaction Score
But First Night doesn't have a large impact on recruiting...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 10.48.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 10.48.00 AM.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 55

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Matt1010 said:
But First Night doesn't have a large impact on recruiting...

It really doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky