Legitimate Problem: Hockey Home Opener or First Night? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Legitimate Problem: Hockey Home Opener or First Night?

Which would you go to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hockey.

First night is fine, but it doesn't mean anything.

Reaction Score
You can watch the replay of First Night on ESPN3. Being there in person is cool, but nothing spectacular.

Go watch a live hockey game instead.

Reaction Score
Because you're a hockey fan. I get it, and we should be encouraging more people to follow UConn hockey, but we are a basketball school and need to be supporting our national championship contending basketball team before our hockey team, in my opinion. A small crowd at First Night on ESPN with big time recruits in the stands would look horrible and way more detrimental than a sparse crowd at a hockey game that I dont think is even televised. This is a no brainer for UConn basketball fans.
This this this. First night is a major recruiting tool for our program and the louder/more filled it is the better. If you are a Hockey guy I could see the dilemma but if not it's an easy decision.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Hockey.

First night is fine, but it doesn't mean anything.
It does mean something. It's a spectacle that a lot of recruits will be at. You think someone like Hamidou Diallo is going to be impressed with a half empty Gampel on First Night because everyone went to a hockey game? He could go down to Rupp Arena and see 20,000 inbreds gawking over Drake and pick UK because that's going to be more alluring to an impressionable 17 year old than "Well there was a hockey game tonight, sooo...". I know there's a lot of die hards on this site who want support the whole spectrum of the athletic department, but basketball is first at UConn. Always first. First Night is even more important because we're in the American. If we were in the Big East still it may not be as big of a deal but we need to take advantage of the opportunities to assert ourselves as the elite of the elite programs with all the fan support, glitz and glamour that comes with First Night. Because a half empty XL Center against Tulane in February is not going to cut it. First Night is a big deal, and means a lot, especially when we're coming off a first round NIT exit last year and have the rumblings of a big bounce back year this year. The excitement needs to start on Friday at First Night. It's more important than a hockey game.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm leaning hockey but I'm glad its at least a debate, means I'm not crazy for struggling with the call.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Here's an idea - If you are going to first night grab 1 extra friend that wasnt already planning on attending to make up for the people going to the hockey game. Problem solved.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Find a teleporter and just go back and forth between the two venues. Or a time machine and problem solved.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Because you're a hockey fan. I get it, and we should be encouraging more people to follow UConn hockey, but we are a basketball school and need to be supporting our national championship contending basketball team before our hockey team, in my opinion.

If you are trying to claim I'm not a UConn basketball fan, you're even more out of your G-D mind than the rest of that rambling already indicates.

Oh, by the way I've attended First Night.

Eight times.

zls44

Reaction Score
Is there a wrong answer?

Yes- the spectacle event that has a sub-zero effect on recruiting, no matter how much Yankees3123 thinks it matters.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
If you are trying to claim I'm not a UConn basketball fan, you're even more out of your G-D mind than the rest of that rambling already indicates.

Oh, by the way I've attended First Night.

Eight times.
Never said that. Don't be so sensitive.

Reaction Score
I voted the hockey game but im going to first night. First night is a 3 min walk and I would have to take a bus there and back and im just not feeling it this time.

Reaction Score
It would depend on a couple things for me. The first thing I did after reading the OP was go to the UConn website to see who they were playing. Arizona State? Like @BigErnMcCracken I had no idea that they even had a hockey team. I had always thought of college hockey as more of a regional thing, with a ton of east coast schools involved and some from the Midwest. Does ASU have a good team? If I'm skipping first night, I'd want to make sure the game is competitive...otherwise it's really just a half-step ahead of first night on the intensity scale.

Proximity would probably factor in, too. If I could easily make it to the XL center, I'd probably go with the hockey game. If I'm a student on campus, and it's a Friday night, I'm probably not planning on taking a bus to Hartford.

Reaction Score
We're talking about three separate fan bases that do converge on a venn diagram (probably mostly hockey/mens hoops)...but between the hockey, men's hoops and women's hoops fanbases, there's no excuse for there not being 15,000-17,000 combined between the two venues.

I'm doing hockey, but if there was no hockey I'd take the kids up to first night.

zls44

Reaction Score
For those who aren't aware: this is Arizona States first year as a DI program.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
For those who aren't aware: this is Arizona States first year as a DI program.
To add on to that, their program was essentially paid for by a donor's gift of 32 million dollars to the school and are the first major d1 school on the west coast.

Reaction Score
My suggestion: Give the hockey ticket to your doppelganger and attend First Night.

The ASU matchup is a “should win”, and though First Night will likely be less competitive, it should be more fun…

…unless of course there is a spaghetti-and-meatballs incident on campus.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, this is a lay-up decision - go to the hockey game. I am old school about First Night - I have basketball season tickets but have never gone to First Night. Now that First Night is combined with the Woman's celebration there is even less reason to go from a basketball perspective.

For the casual fan this activity is fine - bring the whole family and it's free. However, from a basketball perspective it's worthless and the spectacle of it can be annoying. Again, if you enjoy this type of thing - please go and have fun. I know Calhoun tolerated First Night as opposed to liking it - some of the players and recruits do seem to enjoy it. But, it's no longer even appropriately named - since practice has been going on since early this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom