Legitimate Problem: Hockey Home Opener or First Night? | The Boneyard

Legitimate Problem: Hockey Home Opener or First Night?

Which would you go to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I got Season Tickets to the #IceBus this year. But I'm first and foremost a UConn Basketball Junky.

I know this should be an easy call, but I'm genuinely thinking about going to first night instead.

Using a lifeline, polling the audience.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Same here, hoops come first but I'm going ice bus. Regular season comes first for me, also never been to first night as I usually work so I'll be ok. If it's on ESPN I'll record it or watch the replay on ESPN 3.

Reaction Score
I voted for First Night, though I'm not going to either and have never watched a hockey game of any kind by choice in my life.

Reaction Score
Hockey. We need as many people as the BC game if not more. If you've never been to a Uconn hockey game, I highly recommend it. Team is going to be really good this year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I need to prepare for the football tailgate on Saturday. Did cstv get any better from last year? I may consider paying for it and putting hockey on the flat screen from the computer via HDMI.

If I'm being totally honest, I don't find 1st Night to be all that entertaining after the introductions, even when it was called Midnight Madness and held...you know...at midnight. Can easily watch it after the fact. In fact that may be tailgate entertainment the following morning.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
If they were playing a Hockey East team, maybe I'd say go to hockey. But it's Arizona St. Meh.

I say go to First Night. UConn basketball above all.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
55/45 after 31 votes. You guys are killing me.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Go to the Hockey Game since its real competition.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If they were playing a Hockey East team, maybe I'd say go to hockey. But it's Arizona St. Meh.

I say go to First Night. UConn basketball above all.
1. Regular season game vs. an exhibition.
2. The Powers-that-Be in the Big Ten will be keeping their eye on the hockey game. Hockey may not necessarily be a revenue generator at the box office, but it is valuable content for a certain network.

Reaction Score
Do you believe the basketball team is going to win it all this year? If so, I'd want to be able to say I was at first night and there for everything I could be involving the basketball team. Recruits (including Diallo) will be there, so a good showing and loud environment will be awesome.

Hockey is important too, though. I'm not a big hockey guy, but you'll get to watch a real regular season hockey game instead of a co-ed scrimmage and a few dunks. The point above about the B1G watching our hockey is valid.

Logically, it's a wash, just go with your instinct. I'd personally go basketball because it means more to me.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I hear all the excitement around Icebus but I'm just not a hockey fan. UConn ball is first and foremost, even if it is just First Night. But First Night being on ESPN, the Ray Allen tribute, trophy ceremonies, new players, first taste of the season is too important to our already "fragile" brand as a power 5 caliber school to put second to the hockey opener. So I'd rather basketball look really good/Gampel filled on ESPN for First Night than attendance be good for the home opener of hockey. I think it's an obvious choice, but then again, I'm not a hockey fan like a lot of you on here are, so I get the frustration with the scheduling conflict.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Go to the Hockey Game since its real competition.

This.

Also, this isn't even a conflict. Want a conflict? Look at the 21st of November:

Football vs Houston TBA
Mens BBall vs Furman TBA @ Gampel

*That* has the potential to be awesome AND completely awful, depending on the TV timings we draw.

Reaction Score
I hear all the excitement around Icebus but I'm just not a hockey fan. UConn ball is first and foremost, even if it is just First Night. But First Night being on ESPN, the Ray Allen tribute, trophy ceremonies, new players, first taste of the season is too important to our already "fragile" brand as a power 5 caliber school to put second to the hockey opener. So I'd rather basketball look really good/Gampel filled on ESPN for First Night than attendance be good for the home opener of hockey. I think it's an obvious choice, but then again, I'm not a hockey fan like a lot of you on here are, so I get the frustration with the scheduling conflict.

Actually, you just convinced me definitely basketball. The one thing we do best at UConn is basketball. We talk about not getting respect as a basketball program from the media. Having loud, rabid fans cheering the team on First Night would be awesome for the team, the recruits, for clips they will show on TV. Set the tone early, let them know UConn is serious about basketball this year.

Do you want to be fighting on the front lines taking care of business or being the behind the scenes support kind of guy? Are you a star actor or a boom operator? Are you a Tony Soprano or a Silvio Dante? Do the right thing.

Reaction Score
First night. Hockey is great but it's not the first public look at the potential '16 National Champs.

Husky25

Reaction Score
First night. Hockey is great but it's not the first public look at the potential '16 National Champs.
Wouldn't you feel bad if the Hockey Team won the Frozen Four?!?!;)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Picking first night over hockey is insane to me.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Picking first night over hockey is insane to me.
Because you're a hockey fan. I get it, and we should be encouraging more people to follow UConn hockey, but we are a basketball school and need to be supporting our national championship contending basketball team before our hockey team, in my opinion. A small crowd at First Night on ESPN with big time recruits in the stands would look horrible and way more detrimental than a sparse crowd at a hockey game that I dont think is even televised. This is a no brainer for UConn basketball fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom