• Stay

Votes: 90 71.4%
  • Go

Votes: 36 28.6%

• Total voters

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So I called the director (this position would be assistant director) and asked if there was any flexibility on the salary offer. She told me to email the person above her and CC her to see what they can do.

Reaction Score
If you're considering turning it down, counter offer instead as someone mentioned already. People in general don't do a great job negotiating for their salary. They undoubtedly have a range that they're willing to pay for the position. You have to get near the top of that range, especially if you're not planning on staying long term. There's no downside to asking for more in this case. The worst they can do is say no.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
To me the big question is how much do the public school board of ed's value private school administration experience. If this makes you a shoo-in after just one years experience over all similar candidates then to me it is worth it. There are substantial differences between goals, policies and student body makeup in private vs public education. For example many private schools have fundraising goals which might be part of the job while public schools don't. Private schools can reject students they don't consider desirable but public schools don't. On the teaching end private school teaching experience will give you a big advantage in competing for a job in public school system if all other things are equal so that part works well for prospective teachers.

Reaction Score
Fellow educator and currently in an 092 program as well so this topic is interesting to me. I'd vote stay due to distance and the $$ drop. I moved a couple of years ago and my commute went from 10 min to 30 and I HATE it. It has caused tons of unhappiness that has severely impacted my marriage, my joy in my job (obviously COVID hasn't helped), and I wish I hadn't moved to our "dream" house (not a dream, btw).

Reaction Score
All these grant jobs popping up too in the educational sector, will throw off a lot of new public school salary jobs from being developed

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
To me the big question is how much do the public school board of ed's value private school administration experience. If this makes you a shoo-in after just one years experience over all similar candidates then to me it is worth it. There are substantial differences between goals, policies and student body makeup in private vs public education. For example many private schools have fundraising goals which might be part of the job while public schools don't. Private schools can reject students they don't consider desirable but public schools don't. On the teaching end private school teaching experience will give you a big advantage in competing for a job in public school system if all other things are equal so that part works well for prospective teachers.
My salary I was offered is probably what a public school pays to send one kid

Reaction Score
From someone who has lost a child I would hope you are joking. I would give my entire life's savings to spend another minute with my child.
yes im dead serious. I hate my kid and hate spending a moment with him. :rolleyes: What is wrong with some of you?!!!

Reaction Score
I did the 50 minute to a CT rural area job for six months where I got a raise to go. You do not want to do the 50, it's not easy.

Reaction Score
Have you looked into the backgrounds of people who currently occupy the positions that you want? Did any of them start out in a private school? Do you have any common acquaintances who can make an introduction so you can get their sense of the value of the position you were looking at?

What happened to the guy before you? If he left for another job where did he go? Any common acquaintances with him?

If you decide that this position isn’t worth a pay cut, or at least as big a pay cut, don’t turn it down, counter offer. Express your interest and enthusiasm in the opportunity but explain that the numbers don’t work for you. If they like you, ther could be movement.
I voted stay but i vote with this second paragraph more. The vote was a close call but my wife just made a similar move for a far larger pay cut and made it up unexpectedly in a year (over 40k a year pay cut).

Reaction Score
It seems the real question you need to answer is what your long term goal is and whether or not this position will help you get there.

And, is money or happiness more important, and how do you define happiness? Short commute, more time with family, better salary and potential for higher level responsibilities?

Look at Bob Hurley and compare his career to Dan Hurley. In the end, who will be the happiest? The one with the storied career in high school or the one with a much higher salary? Maybe each is as happy as they could hope to be even if they use differing measuring sticks.

If this job gets you on the path you want, but the 50 minute commute and the salary reduction, for a year, are too much, you may not be sufficiently committed to achieving your goal and should reconsider it. Only you can answer that and it's never easy to answer.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
only two people can make this decision and that is you and your wife. Talk to her and see how she feels about it.

Not sure about your faith, but I would pray too.

Good luck no matter what you do

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
That commute sound awful. Think of the lost time (and essentially lost living) you will be giving up. It's far worse than the $15K hit.

One of my favorite quotes ever, and I keep it written on a post-it next to my computer at all times, is: "We can always make more money. We can never make more time." Words to live by IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom