• Stay

Votes: 90 71.4%
  • Go

Votes: 36 28.6%

• Total voters

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As I’ve discussed a little bit year I just graduated from UConn with my MA in Education Leadership and have been pursuing school administration opportunities this summer.
After about 15 rejections I was finally offered a position!
…50 minutes away
…for $15k less than my teacher pay for the upcoming year
Things to consider…
-Wife and I just bought a house so relocation is not in the cards.
-House was top of budget and cutting the pay that much would make things very very tight …perhaps…
-this position is in a private school so I wouldn’t be paying union dues or contributing to the pension fund which together take a big chunk of my check each week. Without seeing a check from this new place my guess is my take home may be about the same.
-me being on the road for 2 hours a day is not ideal for my wife or toddler.
-this job would likely be just for a year to have an administrative position on my resume.

Teach.

Opportunities will come.

Also, in response to the “50 minutes is not that long”….I have commuted one hour each way for about 25 years. That time is simply lost and it is significant.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Teach.

Opportunities will come.

Also, in response to the “50 minutes is not that long”….I have commuted one hour each way for about 25 years. That time is simply lost and it is significant.
True. And this isn’t exactly like a…dream job…
It still does feel like another year of teacher on my resume is useless.

how did none of you Jabronies ask if this was my dream job?

Reaction Score
I switched jobs last year (teaching) to a school that had a 50-60 minute commute, knowing this summer my family would move closer (which we did). The commute was miserable and I was always tired, which made the time I did have with my family far less enjoyable. To me it’s not worth it. There will be a bunch of admin jobs at public schools open again next year. It won’t hurt you in any way to wait it out another year. It also gets you one year closer to retirement by staying in the public school system.

Edit to add: ask your admin if there are any leadership roles you can take on this year to build your resume.

Reaction Score
Is the private school aware that your interest in the job is just temporary? If so, then I'd take the job: you'd get the experience and since they know you are just there for a year, and they'd be happy to have you in the interim, which increases the odds of getting a great recommendation or two for your next resume.

If not, then I'd stay. Private schools are really touchy about staff retention. For example, at my school, we are asked in January to let the school know if we are considering teaching somewhere else the following year. That might be the same at the new school and it would be really hard to secure a heartfelt recommendation from the school if you leave on awkward terms with the fact that you are really only using the school for experience on your resume.

For example, after years of teaching my friend took her first administration job at a tiny private school in NJ. They were desperate to have her join the team and are thankful out of their butts that she's still there after three years. When taking the job, she wasn't sure if she wanted to stay, but she did enjoy the freedom of knowing that the school felt super lucky to have her join on when they were in a major bind to fill the position. If that's the case, I'd definitely take the job.

Reaction Score
I would give up many thousands of dollars in income for 2 extra hours per day with my toddler. Just my 2 cents, as everyone's situation is different.
This. I still watch videos of my kids as toddlers on a regular basis. So cute and lovable at that age. Don’t miss out on it. I swear, I watched the first 45 minutes of Monsters Inc every single morning for 2 years with my son on my lap. I loved every second of it.

I really enjoyed a commute when I was young and single. I’d listen to Howard Stern, sports radio etc. and dread arriving at work. Now, I value my time too much for that. Long commutes are good if you do work and get phone calls taken care of, which is what I do when I need to travel any given day. In the education field, it is just wasted time I’d think.

Reaction Score

As I read some of these suggestions I've got to be honest, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I don't know why you are even asking us Jabronies for our opinion on this. I'm sure you know better than any of us how much this job can help towards your career goal as opposed to teaching another year. Only you would know how much the commute will bother you and upset your personal life. Only you know how much you value missing your wife and toddler for the extra hour plus of commuting time a day (we don't know what your current commute is). Only you know how having $15,000 less in salary for the year will impact your life.

Sounds like you've weighed the pros and cons. Your opinion is the only one that matters. Us Jabronies don't know ----. :)

Reaction Score
I almost cried when they called us back into the office because I hate my commute so much. But I have had other long commuted that say zero traffic and we're quite enjoyable.

But it seems that the case has already been made for you to stay so it doesn't matter. I'm just happy they told us we can go back to a 2/3 WFH split next week!

Reaction Score
if you want the job you should counter offer. But a long commute plus gas for $15,000 less doesn't sound like a great deal especially if you are just planning to stay a year without advancement. Do you hate teaching because you're going to hate the commute.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Because you said it was a 1year deal… people stay longer at dream jobs.

Reaction Score
Never go backwards on pay. Opportunities will come that are better by doing the best job you can where you are. You are better off doing some. Volunteer management time with an educational nonprofit for disadvantaged kids which will get you experience and a much better look.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
As I’ve discussed a little bit year I just graduated from UConn with my MA in Education Leadership and have been pursuing school administration opportunities this summer.
After about 15 rejections I was finally offered a position!
…50 minutes away
…for $15k less than my teacher pay for the upcoming year
Things to consider…
-Wife and I just bought a house so relocation is not in the cards.
-House was top of budget and cutting the pay that much would make things very very tight …perhaps…
-this position is in a private school so I wouldn’t be paying union dues or contributing to the pension fund which together take a big chunk of my check each week. Without seeing a check from this new place my guess is my take home may be about the same.
-me being on the road for 2 hours a day is not ideal for my wife or toddler.
-this job would likely be just for a year to have an administrative position on my resume.
So do you have a pension with this job?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Teach.

Opportunities will come.

Fishy my wife and I did that calculation around the time we retired and calculated about a year and a half of our lives. Doesn’t seem like a lot when your 30 but I am 70 now and would love that time back!!

Reaction Score
Having kids is an honor. I have none because of life circumstances.
Yes it is. Im honored to be my sons father and he makes me proud everyday. If you wait for circumstances to be right for kids youll never have them. I will say though be very, very careful whom you decide to have a child with.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
It’s great that you understand that now. Most people don’t figure it out until their kids have graduated from college.
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon

Reaction Score
PENSION: At young age the 401K (though bummer can't get in until 1yr) is better than a long teacher pension plan that weds you to the career.
PUBLIC V PRIVATE: My wife was a guidance counselor for 11yrs but then left and her pension is near worthless. Also in the current environment private schools have a TON more leeway in resources, decision making etc..
COMMUTE: A 50 minute commute is a bummer and I think the traffic this fall will be the worst ever. I was very bummed to trade 15 mins from work living in city to 1hr in burbs, but it gives the kids a much better quality of life. Covid upside has been a lot more time with them.
$/JOB : $ don't matter at a young age if one position is on career path. For me the bottom line would be IF you enjoy the current job vs IF you really want to start learning the admin ropes.

Reaction Score
Well it's useless for your resume, but better for both happiness and wallet. You've got 40 years to get better paying jobs.

Unless you don't like teaching, then happiness probably better in new job.

Reaction Score
Are there any after regular hour school obligations that would lengthen your day? Really make sure the wife is on board with being the only one that can respond to emergencies with your child as your are an hour out, as well as all the other day to day duties.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I vote that you not let us influence you. Flip a coin. If you are happy with where it lands, do that. If you suddenly want to do best 2 out of 3, then you know what you want.

We all have different tolerances for commuting (mine is low and getting lower), and different levels of ambition for our future careers.

Reaction Score

Dream jobs making $15k less don't pay the bills and fund kid's 529 plans and this is CT. You can do better.

Reaction Score
At the start of the year my commute changed from 5 minutes to 35-45 or more depending on traffic. It blows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom