OT: - Leaderboard...starts Thursday...2nd golf major of the year...men | The Boneyard

OT: Leaderboard...starts Thursday...2nd golf major of the year...men

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Southern Hills in Oklahoma...classic course. They want it to play firm and fast. Some rain
expected which may lead to softer/longer/wider course...playing a bit easier....but there are
significant winds predicted so that may cancel 'easier'.

Phil Mickelson...not there. Tiger....there.

One year ago Phil won this event at 50...the oldest player ever to win a major. One year ago
Tiger was in a bed pretty much 24/7 due to injuries in his car crash.
If you had bet a bob or two on the 2022 absence of Phil and the presence of Tiger you would be rolling in the big bucks.

Tiger: reports are he is stronger and in better shape [for walking the course] than in the Masters in April...overall
optimism for his performance.

Phil: imo...he is on a de facto suspension from the tour due to his Saudi remarks. They don't announce suspensions unless the player does not agree to leave the tour for a period of time with some explanation by him as to his 'personal' reasons. He hasn't played an event in months....there is NO way he isn't here to defend his championship without the PGA telling him to make himself scarce.

'Featured groups' on Thursday/Friday: one stands out...Rory McIIroy/Jordan Speith/Tiger.

Scottie Scheffler...#1 in the world....on a Tiger-like streak...won 4 of his last 6 events including the Masters.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for the remarks on Phil (I was gonna ask when I saw the thread title). I don't really follow golf, so all I knew was what I read in a John Feinstein column the other day. What you said makes sense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and what about Sergio Garcia. He made a remark after being pissed with a rules official that he will not have to deal with this tour in a few weeks??

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Speith has found his game after a few choppy years. Justin Thomas is also playing well, and of course Sheffler. I look for all three to contend. My dark horse is Tailor Gooch, second one is Max Homa.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Sergio is in the field. He tends to be somewhat mercurial in his comments...his unhappiness can be transitory....no surprise that he is playing...he still is good enough to win...his major wins total remains at one...overall a great HOF career...a bit light in majors.
Having said that I would not be surprised if Sergio is one of the players who have quietly said he will play on the Saudi tour...come what may in terms of PGA penalties. The first Saudi event is in early June...time to recant any possible ties to that tour if he so chooses.

Reaction Score
Phil has lost all of his sponsors and it will get worse before it gets better. Phil be defending himself when the unauthorized biography comes out in the next few weeks and I'm sure there is interest in his reported $40 million in losses from gambling,

On the course this weekend I'm all in on Rory.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phil is in self-imposed exile. As noted, some sponsors dropped him and Callaway has put him on hold. In addition to his comments on the Saudi situation, he has had dealings with some shady people. He needs a very good PR person. Jack Nicklaus and others say the American public is forgiving. We'll see in time.

In terms of the tournament, it should not be quite as brutal as when the U.S. Open has been played there in 100 degree weather in mid-June.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Rory a superb 5 under 65 in favorable morning conditions. Same group...Spieth a 72...Tiger a 74...he had a good start and poor finish. More wind in the PM will make that 65 very hard to match.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Morning wave on Thursday got much the better conditions....most of leaders played early.
Justin Thomas at 67 was an exception. Both groups switch times today so if the windy PM yesterday repeats that should somewhat even the scores.

Reaction Score
I've been watching Zalitoris in majors since her finished second in the Masters. Solid game. He has been in contention but faded at the end. Putting is his nemesis. The greens at S. Hills are a little slower due to their slopes and that usually helps guys like Zalitoris.

Reaction Score
The course layout for this tourney is very strange. a couple of tees are 10 feet off the previous green. Some drives go over adjoining greens. Helmets should be mandatory.

Tiger made the cut. You can hear the “Cha Ching” at ESPN and CBS headquarters all the way to Tulsa.

Phil’s woes aren’t over. A book coming out in a couple of weeks that is going to slice him and dice him. Sad to see but the injuries were self inflicted.

Reaction Score
Phil is in self-imposed exile. As noted, some sponsors dropped him and Callaway has put him on hold. In addition to his comments on the Saudi situation, he has had dealings with some shady people. He needs a very good PR person. Jack Nicklaus and others say the American public is forgiving. We'll see in time.

In terms of the tournament, it should not be quite as brutal as when the U.S. Open has been played there in 100 degree weather in mid-June.
I don’t know if ’forgive‘ is the right word, but Tiger is and will always be persona non grata to me. I cannot understand the continuing public fascination with this morally bankrupt human being. While I haven’t read the whole story, I expect that Phil will eventually weasel his way back into media favor. These days, money seems to be the only reality that counts.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Interesting leaderboard! The leaders are generally the ones who had the good weather draw....early
Thursday/late Friday. Justin Thomas with 67-67 is an exception to that. Will Z has indeed played his few majors very well...great ball striker...can he pressure putt on the weekend? Tiger walked better/played better to make the cut.
74-69. Realistic to get to even 280? That would be significant jump from The Masters.

Bubba Watson in it with a second round 63!
Course is not spectacularly visual like Pebble Beach or Augusta but looks great nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Interesting leaderboard! The leaders are generally the ones who had the good weather draw....early
Thursday/late Friday. Justin Thomas with 67-67 is an exception to that. Will Z has indeed played his few majors very well...great ball striker...can he pressure putt on the weekend? Tiger walked better/played better to make the cut.
74-69. Realistic to get to even 280? That would be significant jump from The Masters.

Bubba Watson in it with a second round 63!
Course is not spectacularly visual like Pebble Beach or Augusta but looks great nonetheless.
I'm in the not liking the course group. Shocked at closeness of tees and greens for a major. Imagine taking turns teeing off with another group. Imagine not cutting the greens for a major. I don't really remember this from 2007. Guess it didn't make much of an impression then either.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Whoa. Just saw Tiger with a +8 third round.

Reaction Score
I'm in the not liking the course group. Shocked at closeness of tees and greens for a major. Imagine taking turns teeing off with another group. Imagine not cutting the greens for a major. I don't really remember this from 2007. Guess it didn't make much of an impression then either.

There have been more than a few majors where they shouldn’t have cut the greens, had they shown any common sense. Instead they ended up with virtually unplayable greens on some holes as the wind came up and the hot sun baked the greens. It was a smart decision not to cut them on Friday

Reaction Score
There have been more than a few majors where they shouldn’t have cut the greens, had they shown any common sense. Instead they ended up with virtually unplayable greens on some holes as the wind came up and the hot sun baked the greens. It was a smart decision not to cut them on Friday
Wasn’t very fair to the afternoon flight.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Leader by 3...Mito Pereira...had never heard of him prior to this week.
Was leading by 4 and stumbled to bogeys on 8-9-10....lead down to 1 but was impressive down
the stretch. Played 2 under...now with a 3 shot lead at 9 under. I think he is the only one with all 3 scores under par.

Zalatoris' putter went balky on him the first 9....shot 39...but he also bounced back for a 34 on the back nine...tied for second.
There are no 'star players' within 5 shots of Periera. Weather was nasty on Saturday...looks to be the same today.
Mito shoots even par and he wins in a romp...imo. A 75 is just as likely.

Tiger withdraws after a 79...did not look good physically. Less than a month to the U.S. Open...time enough to recover?

BTW: Milford Husky...you often grace the U.S. Open sites....you going to The Country Club near Boston in mid-June?
I have galleried there several times...gorgeous 'New England-y' property.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well Im excited. Cameron Young is in the top 5. Cam's dad David was the Asst Pro at Waccabuc CC in Westchester. A friend of mine John McPhee was the head pro and I worked for John for a few years. Dave is now the head Golf Professional at Sleepy Hollow CC in Westchester. Short and sweet when Cam was 12 yrs old we played with him. He didnt have the length and still managed 4 birdies. At 12 he had a repeating swing and we all knew he was destined for a great career. I am routing for him big time today.

Reaction Score
Leader by 3...Mito Pereira...had never heard of him prior to this week.
Was leading by 4 and stumbled to bogeys on 8-9-10....lead down to 1 but was impressive down
the stretch. Played 2 under...now with a 3 shot lead at 9 under. I think he is the only one with all 3 scores under par.

Zalatoris' putter went balky on him the first 9....shot 39...but he also bounced back for a 34 on the back nine...tied for second.
There are no 'star players' within 5 shots of Periera. Weather was nasty on Saturday...looks to be the same today.
Mito shoots even par and he wins in a romp...imo. A 75 is just as likely.

Tiger withdraws after a 79...did not look good physically. Less than a month to the U.S. Open...time enough to recover?

BTW: Milford Husky...you often grace the U.S. Open sites....you going to The Country Club near Boston in mid-June?
I have galleried there several times...gorgeous 'New England-y' property.

I love those old NE courses too. But lousy for spectators. Platform greens bring back memories of the GHO at Wethersfield CC and the need for a periscope to see the putting.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pereira blows a 1 shot lead on 18 with poor shot selection (into the drink). Playoff between Justin Thomas and Zalotoris who both made some clutch putts.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
JT won the playoff, but I really felt bad for Pereira. Led most of the tournament, lost the lead and the tournament on the last hole. Still came back for an interview, very tough to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom