Le Tour & Lance | The Boneyard

Le Tour & Lance

Reaction Score
Phil and Bob are hosting the Tour this year and they've had a couple of spots with Lance Armstrong. They never mention Lance during the Tour at all so I was wondering what changed this year. Any thoughts?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Phil and Bob are hosting the Tour this year and they've had a couple of spots with Lance Armstrong. They never mention Lance during the Tour at all so I was wondering what changed this year. Any thoughts?

First, Bob is doing a heck of a job replacing a guy who really can't be replaced.

I think, with Lance, reality has to start to come to bear - the entire sport is an exercise in experimental chemistry and they were acting as if Armstrong was the sole offender.

In this instance, though, it's really just NBC airing some clips. I think he's still completely unable to do anything in any official capacity with cycling - I'm not even sure he can be onsite with his podcast.

Reaction Score
First, Bob is doing a heck of a job replacing a guy who really can't be replaced.

I think, with Lance, reality has to start to come to bear - the entire sport is an exercise in experimental chemistry and they were acting as if Armstrong was the sole offender.

In this instance, though, it's really just NBC airing some clips. I think he's still completely unable to do anything in any official capacity with cycling - I'm not even sure he can be onsite with his podcast.
Phil and Paul were incredible together. A big part of the presentation is the scenery and the history, and together they did a great job with that. Chris is doing OK as Bob's replacement in the studio, but Bob was really the best part of the studio. I think he has to be more reserved as Phil's sidekick.

Reaction Score
Great stage Tuesday; enjoyed watching and now rooting for the Belgian Dylan; won’t share today’s result

Not micro-analyzing announcers, but prefer Eurosport over NBCSN blabbering blabbers

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I actually half-watched this morning - I usually rewatch it again at night.

I actually enjoy NBC’s coverage.

Phil Liggett is great - some of his sayings, particularly “and the elastic has snapped”, have been staples of our group rides for years.

Reaction Score
Always something new at Le Tour. The Yamaha Niken.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Question for those who watched on Saturday. Why couldn't the two chasers working together catch the lone leader who was in front from the start? Was it just a super ride from the leader?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Question for those who watched on Saturday. Why couldn't the two chasers working together catch the lone leader who was in front from the start? Was it just a super ride from the leader?

What De Gendt did was extraordinary - it was basically a 200km breakaway that somehow stayed away. He shed all of the folks in the breakaway, finally soloing when they hit the foot of the last climb.

When the two chasers break out of the peloton near the top of the climb, they're about 50 seconds back; Alaphillipe and Pinot work together for two reasons...one, to catch De Gendt and two, to put time into the rest of the field. Alaphillipe is within spitting distance of the race lead and he can get back in yellow.

Time yo-yos between De Gendt, the first chase and the peloton for the last six kilometers. De Gendt just put in a historical effort - that win makes a career - he really is toast in the last kilometer. but the two chasers just can't quite get him.

At the line, Alaphillipe doesn't contest the sprint and let's Pinot take second and the time bonuses. Alaphillipe's end of the bargain is that he has enough time in hand to wear yellow the next day on Bastille Day - a huge deal for a Frenchman.

Reaction Score
What De Gendt did was extraordinary - it was basically a 200km breakaway that somehow stayed away. He shed all of the folks in the breakaway, finally soloing when they hit the foot of the last climb.

When the two chasers break out of the peloton near the top of the climb, they're about 50 seconds back; Alaphillipe and Pinot work together for two reasons...one, to catch De Gendt and two, to put time into the rest of the field. Alaphillipe is within spitting distance of the race lead and he can get back in yellow.

Time yo-yos between De Gendt, the first chase and the peloton for the last six kilometers. De Gendt just put in a historical effort - that win makes a career - he really is toast in the last kilometer. but the two chasers just can't quite get him.

At the line, Alaphillipe doesn't contest the sprint and let's Pinot take second and the time bonuses. Alaphillipe's end of the bargain is that he has enough time in hand to wear yellow the next day on Bastille Day - a huge deal for a Frenchman.
Stage 8 - I'm a day behind watching the dvr in the evening, usually fast forwarding through most so I can finish watching before midnight. I believe this was the stage where they were questioning Trek, Sunweb, and maybe Bora for riding somewhat aggressive during the opening moments of the breakaway. I only heard some of the commentary and haven't had a chance to follow up. I'm assuming it was related to Ciccone?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stage 8 - I'm a day behind watching the dvr in the evening, usually fast forwarding through most so I can finish watching before midnight. I believe this was the stage where they were questioning Trek, Sunweb, and maybe Bora for riding somewhat aggressive during the opening moments of the breakaway. I only heard some of the commentary and haven't had a chance to follow up. I'm assuming it was related to Ciccone?

If they did, I missed it - the initial breakaway of four was allowed to move out pretty easily.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but related. Lance Armstrong has a podcast. I watched the one with Sammy Hagar this morning on YouTube. Surprisingly competent interviewer, though he couldn't keep from mentioning Hagar's wife.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The other day, Phil brought out the elastic snapping at least three times.

Without spoiling today’s stage for the delayed viewers....

They need to sort out these barriers. You can’t have anything sharp on them that might injure a rider.

Peter Sagan is amazing. He didn’t win the time trial of course, but a wheelie, going uphill, on a time trial bike while giving the crowd a thumb’s up is a bike handling marvel. I don’t think I could get the front wheel of my TT bike off the ground let alone cruise up a hill with it off.

Reaction Score

I have warmed up to Lance. But by his own admission he was a tremendous to a bunch of people and that is part of what set him apart; aside from the fact that he won 7 straight tours.

His podcasts are tremendous. I highly recommend them.

And yeah, I think any one of us would have cheated just like he did if we had his abilities. I would hope I wouldn’t have destroyed people like he did in the process.

Reaction Score
I never liked Phil and Paul or Bobke. They were all a pack of doping deniers. the whole dancing on the pedals schtick was cool the first time but not anymore, they are totally played out.

I miss watching the bike races on Eurosport or in German.

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but related. Lance Armstrong has a podcast. I watched the one with Sammy Hagar this morning on YouTube. Surprisingly competent interviewer, though he couldn't keep from mentioning Hagar's wife.

That one was hilarious. The bit about the tents and the BJs LOL.

I recommend the Mia Khalifa, Ben Foster and Jimmie Johnson ones. Jimmie Johnson and I used to be 1 and 2 on a tough Strava segment. I stole KOM on it from him and he gave me kudos. Jimmie usually rides from the track to the airport when NASCAR comes to KC.

Reaction Score
The other day, Phil brought out the elastic snapping at least three times.

Without spoiling today’s stage for the delayed viewers....

They need to sort out these barriers. You can’t have anything sharp on them that might injure a rider.

Peter Sagan is amazing. He didn’t win the time trial of course, but a wheelie, going uphill, on a time trial bike while giving the crowd a thumb’s up is a bike handling marvel. I don’t think I could get the front wheel of my TT bike off the ground let alone cruise up a hill with it off.
Definitely a favorite. Enjoying the next few years watching Sagan because you never know when the end of a career comes.

Just an awful crash for van Aert. Sounds like he tore some muscle which is not good. I don't understand why they haven't designed plastic barriers which give and which don't have legs sticking out on the inside of the course. Granted some have to hold back fans but there are some stretches and tight corners where no one stands. Painful to watch this one. Remember seeing Valverde crash straight into a barrier breaking his leg two years ago on a TT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Five or six days ago, Alaphilippe's team owner said words to the effect that Alaphilippe did not have the necessary physiology to win the TDF. What about grit and pluck?

Reaction Score
This tour seems less eventful perhaps because Froome is missing. It almost seems like Froome caused everyone else to ride better. Alaphilippe looked very strong but lost some time in Stage 15 on Sunday and that may be a sign for the rest of the mountain stages. He was really hurting after he crossed the line. 6 GC riders now separated by about 2 minutes, 13 within 8:28. This should make for some very exciting mountain stages.

Quintana seems to be fading.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it’s a better tour without Froome.

With Froome, this is Ineos towing him around France letting him pick and choose the two or three spots where he’d put the race to bed.

Without him, it’s still probably Ineos’ to lose, but at least it’s been entertaining.

I don’t think Alaphilippe can win - he’s been amazing, but he’s not the guy who is going to gain time in the long climbs this week and his team isn’t going to be of any use to him. If Thomas had Alaphilippe’s team, he’d be gone already.

If I’m ranking their odds right now...

1) Pinot
2) Thomas
3) Bernal
4) Alaphillipe
5) Kruijswijk.

I think the winner almost certainly comes from the top two. I would be surprised, but not shocked if Bernal won. I would put Alaphillipe and Kruijswijk in the very unlikely category and anyone else would be a complete shocker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom