LB Eli Thomas Hospitalized... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

LB Eli Thomas Hospitalized...

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Definitely scary @ times for a healthcare professional to watch a progressing stroke - had to be very tough on his teammates to witness:

For ppl that have never witnessed/ dealt with one before it can be traumatizing.

Reaction Score
Early recognition in regards to strokes is so important, well done by the training staff.
Probably saved his life. Sad to say, but I would guess that his FB career is done. People do not come back from a stroke do they?

Reaction Score
To your point, I found this info on line

"Up to 25 percent of stroke under age 45 is caused by a dissecting blood vessel in the neck. This is a small tear in a big blood vessel that causes a clot to form and travel to the brain.”

Full article here Think You're Too Young for a Stroke? Think Again
Yup.

Another (relatively) common cause of stroke in the young adult population is a congenital defect of the venous system in the brain. Arterovenous malformation is the technical term if you care to look it up. I’ve seen several young people with strokes and that was the cause the majority of the time, and the prognosis often isn’t great

Or of course it could be a ruptured aneurysm.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Probably saved his life. Sad to say, but I would guess that his FB career is done. People do not come back from a stroke do they?
I wouldn't hold my breath on his comeback, but you can hope, pray or both. Depends on the severity of the effects. I've seen massive strokes "fixed" in hospitals with clot-busting drugs and folks who were completely paralyzed on one side come out with zero side effects. On the other hand, I've seen young people with debilitating strokes that leave a lifetime of measurable defects, whether large-scale or small. Strokes can be caused by blood clots (ischemic) or by bleeding in the brain (hemorrhagic.) Ischemic strokes are far more common (85% of all strokes), and once it's determined to be ischemic (CT scan shows no bleeding in the brain) then they usually have a good shot at administering a "clot buster" like tpa.
Hemorrhagic strokes (bleeding in the brain) can be caused by a huge increase in blood pressure, a ruptured blood vessel, or by an aneurysm in the brain. The American Stroke Association says that between 1 and 5 percent of all of us might have a brain aneurysm, despite never having any symptoms. It also says that heavy lifting could cause cerebral pressure to rise and possible rupture of an aneurysm, if one exists. Blood pressure often rises to crazy levels during heavy lifts (systolic blood pressures of well over 300.)
The early recognition of Eli's emergency definitely saved his life. It's too soon to tell what his outcome will be (especially not knowing the specifics or origin of the stroke) but I'll continue to say a prayer for his recovery.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't hold my breath on his comeback, but you can hope, pray or both. Depends on the severity of the effects. I've seen massive strokes "fixed" in hospitals with clot-busting drugs and folks who were completely paralyzed on one side come out with zero side effects. On the other hand, I've seen young people with debilitating strokes that leave a lifetime of measurable defects, whether large-scale or small. Strokes can be caused by blood clots (ischemic) or by bleeding in the brain (hemorrhagic.) Ischemic strokes are far more common (85% of all strokes), and once it's determined to be ischemic (CT scan shows no bleeding in the brain) then they usually have a good shot at administering a "clot buster" like tpa.
Hemorrhagic strokes (bleeding in the brain) can be caused by a huge increase in blood pressure, a ruptured blood vessel, or by an aneurysm in the brain. The American Stroke Association says that between 1 and 5 percent of all of us might have a brain aneurysm, despite never having any symptoms. It also says that heavy lifting could cause cerebral pressure to rise and possible rupture of an aneurysm, if one exists. Blood pressure often rises to crazy levels during heavy lifts (systolic blood pressures of well over 300.) .

You stayed awake for that whole CME eh? ;)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It all depends on the severity and portions of the brain affected. We had a very close friend who suffered a massive stroke at age 41. He survived it, but his career as a brilliant computer engineer for Shell was over. He had to re-learn how to do everything, starting with tying his shoes. He has needed constant care ever since. His wife divorced him. Last I knew he was living in a facility on the UP of Michigan.

I hope and pray that Eli's stroke was not severe enough to permanently ruin the rest of his life. Playing football again becomes secondary. Living a life with some degree of quality is far more important. A stroke can take that all away in just a few seconds.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Another (relatively) common cause of stroke in the young adult population is a congenital defect of the venous system in the brain. Arterovenous malformation is the technical term if you care to look it up. I’ve seen several young people with strokes and that was the cause the majority of the time, and the prognosis often isn’t great
Brings to mind A.J. Price. He went on to play 4-5 years in the NBA.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Brings to mind A.J. Price. He went on to play 4-5 years in the NBA.

We had an office manager who had the same condition. She'd had a history of severe migraine headaches. They didn't diagnose her condition until she was in her mid-40's. The doctor who performed the surgery on her was the same one that operated on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords from Tucson after the assassination attempt on her. After surgery, our office manager returned to work with no ill effects. I think her recovery time was a month or less.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
We had an office manager who had the same condition. She'd had a history of severe migraine headaches. They didn't diagnose her condition until she was in her mid-40's. The doctor who performed the surgery on her was the same one that operated on the Congresswoman from Tucson after the assassination attempt on her. After surgery, our office manager returned to work with no ill effects. I think her recovery time was a month or less.
That's just amazing.

Reaction Score
That's just amazing.

I believe that there is a drugs if given within a hour after the stroke, helps reduce the affects of the stroke or a least minimizes it. I had a stroke 9 years ago, not nearly as severe as Eli’s, which left me with weakness on my left side. This was before this drug was available. I had a previous stroke of which I was unaware.

Reaction Score
Yup.

Yup.

My 6 year old nephew died from a ruptured aneurysm (1975)

Reaction Score
I wondered if he suffered the same type of stroke that my wife suffered last December. It was clot caused by a hole in her heart called a PFO (patent foramen ovale). The foramen ovale is a hole in the heart's septum that we are all born with, but in 25% of us, it doesn't close. The PFO causes agitation in the heart which can throw a clot in rare instances.

My wife was 46 at the time and in good health. her symptoms were partial paralysis in her face and arm as well as speech confusion. What caused it absolutely baffled the doctors. The PFO wasn't detected by ultrasound and was only found by an internal echo (down her esophagus). So she's lived with the PFO which went undetected for 46 years. She's since had a device implanted to close the hole.

It was freaking scary. Eight hours after the stroke, she couldn't sign her admittance form. 10 days later she was back at work as a professor with no lasting effects. She only told a few coworkers what actually happened and most have no idea that she had a stroke.

CL82

Reaction Score
I wondered if he suffered the same type of stroke that my wife suffered last December. It was clot caused by a hole in her heart called a PFO (patent foramen ovale). The foramen ovale is a hole in the heart's septum that we are all born with, but in 25% of us, it doesn't close. The PFO causes agitation in the heart which can throw a clot in rare instances.

My wife was 46 at the time and in good health. her symptoms were partial paralysis in her face and arm as well as speech confusion. What caused it absolutely baffled the doctors. The PFO wasn't detected by ultrasound and was only found by an internal echo (down her esophagus). So she's lived with the PFO which went undetected for 46 years. She's since had a device implanted to close the hole.

It was freaking scary. Eight hours after the stroke, she couldn't sign her admittance form. 10 days later she was back at work as a professor with no lasting effects. She only told a few coworkers what actually happened and most have no idea that she had a stroke.
Wow, scary. I'm glad it worked out so well.

Reaction Score

Was your wife born premature?

Reaction Score
I don't know much about trauma medicine, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn express. Privacy laws in healthcare are pretty strictly followed, so it's going to be held tight to the vest as to what the actual Dx is unless family and friends start talking, and lawyers will law, so there is that to consider, but by what I can gather reading the collated news, is that there is very little to go on as to how this kid is actually doing.

It seems that the medical response to the CVA was about as quick and thorough as could be, so that's good. It would stand to reason that outcome will therefore be the best possible.

Hope to see this kid up and about again as soon as can be.

Reaction Score
On a more positive note, kids are working out so hard they're having strokes. So there's that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom