Lawson brothers to Kansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lawson brothers to Kansas

Reaction Score
Giving the dads, or uncles or any family member a job so that you can recruit their kids is about the dumbest thing in history. You're better off attacking Russia in winter.

Reaction Score
Not gonna argue that.

Just saying, you're 18/19/20 years old and the school makes a promise to your father about his employment status, and then breaks it. You think you're not gonna hold any illwill?

was it immature? Yes.

Is it a sign that Tubby should've ran them out of town? I don't think so. Crossing one's family isn't exactly the best way to judge someone.

If the guy brings nothing to the table coaching wise, and he was the previous coaches hire not Tubby's, then Tubby has every right to say "I don't want him on my staff". I'm guessing they made him keep him last year but he wasn't having any of it when he realized he was only coaching for his kids sake and brought nothing else. Good for Tubby sticking up for himself when he knows it will turn next year into a rough one but he will eventually get his own program.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If the guy brings nothing to the table coaching wise, and he was the previous coaches hire not Tubby's, then Tubby has every right to say "I don't want him on my staff". I'm guessing they made him keep him last year but he wasn't having any of it when he realized he was only coaching for his kids sake and brought nothing else. Good for Tubby sticking up for himself when he knows it will turn next year into a rough one but he will eventually get his own program.

That's fine.

Don't really disagree.

But I wouldn't say good riddance to the kid just cause he's mad about how the school did his father.

Reaction Score

When Tubby was hired, they told Lawson he was going to stay as full-time assistant coach. Tubby changed his mind and demoted him to director of player development.

Tubby has every right to do that. He also then has to deal with the consequences. He made a pretty poor choice, in my opinion.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not gonna argue that.

Just saying, you're 18/19/20 years old and the school makes a promise to your father about his employment status, and then breaks it. You think you're not gonna hold any illwill?

was it immature? Yes.

Is it a sign that Tubby should've ran them out of town? I don't think so. Crossing one's family isn't exactly the best way to judge someone.

When your family is full of whack jobs, it isn't "crossing" the family, it's cutting your losses and moving on.

Tubby made a huge mistake, and he owns every bit of that mistake. But it's time for the kids to grow up, and make decisions that are in their own best interest.

If the kids are saying, "screw Tubby" for having been manipulated by their father, fine. But I doubt that's what they're saying. Even if it is, it should have been left unsaid.

It's time for those kids to grow up. The biggest question now is, does daddy get a job in Kansas?

Reaction Score
When Tubby was hired, they told Lawson he was going to stay as full-time assistant coach. Tubby changed his mind and demoted him to director of player development.

Tubby has every right to do that. He also then has to deal with the consequences. He made a pretty poor choice, in my opinion.

No it's not. If the kids are po'd about dad what are you going to get out of them? They don't respect Tubby and they will lead the clubhouse BS all year and you also have these kids talking to recruits when they come in.

Rid yourself of the family crisis and move on, he will be fine eventually and better off for this move I think.

the Q

Reaction Score
When your family is full of whack jobs, it isn't "crossing" the family, it's cutting your losses and moving on.

Tubby made a huge mistake, and he owns every bit of that mistake. But it's time for the kids to grow up, and make decisions that are in their own best interest.

If the kids are saying, "screw Tubby" for having been manipulated by their father, fine. But I doubt that's what they're saying. Even if it is, it should have been left unsaid.

It's time for those kids to grow up. The biggest question now is, does daddy get a job in Kansas?

When it's promises and rescinded. I consider that crossing.

but either way, going to kansas looks like the kids are doing it on their own now.

Not that they needed to, they're plenty talented to play D1 ball without dad on the bench.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Giving the dads, or uncles or any family member a job so that you can recruit their kids is about the dumbest thing in history. You're better off attacking Russia in winter.
Kansas doesn't get Danny Manning if they don't hire his dad.

Rid yourself of the family crisis and move on, he will be fine eventually and better off for this move I think.
My money's on the Lawsons being fine, Memphis being a train wreck and Tubby being fired within the next two years. While the younger Lawsons -- both top 20 players in their class -- head elsewhere.

Reaction Score

So be it. It seems to me that ceding partial control of your program to some dad just to recruit his son is not something I would want to do unless of course that dad happened to already be a solid D1 coach that you would hire anyway. Otherwise, you have a gun to your head all the time.

Reaction Score

My money's on the Lawsons being fine, Memphis being a train wreck and Tubby being fired within the next two years. While the younger Lawsons -- both top 20 players in their class -- head elsewhere.
Don't forget their younger cousin ('19 or '20) who is top 10, too

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So be it. It seems to me that ceding partial control of your program to some dad just to recruit his son is not something I would want to do unless of course that dad happened to already be a solid D1 coach that you would hire anyway. Otherwise, you have a gun to your head all the time.
If the gun to the head includes about a half-dozen top 50 recruits and cred in the talent-rich local scene over a 5-year stretch, it's worth it for a program like Memphis. Assistants exist to recruit, and this guy did.

Now the gun's to Tubby's head because of results, and guess what? That things going to go off because he's got no talent because he can't recruit.

Neither is a situation I'd like to see UConn in, but one is distinctly better than the other.

Chely's Home

Bring back the whalers
Reaction Score
Memphis should fire tubby before he sets them back 4 yrs

Reaction Score

Oh I'm not saying they won't be fine, I'm just saying Tubby shold have the option of getting rid of what would become an issue. And Memphis should allow him time now to put together a program they ruined by allowing dad to ever be on the staff.

Reaction Score
If the gun to the head includes about a half-dozen top 50 recruits and cred in the talent-rich local scene over a 5-year stretch, it's worth it for a program like Memphis. Assistants exist to recruit, and this guy did.

Now the gun's to Tubby's head because of results, and guess what? That things going to go off because he's got no talent because he can't recruit.

Neither is a situation I'd like to see UConn in, but one is distinctly better than the other.

Here's what it got them:
Overall Pct. Conf Pct. Streak Home Away Neutral
19 - 15 .559 8 - 10 .444 L1 14 - 6 2 - 8 3 - 1
Overall Pct. Conf Pct. Streak Home Away Neutral
19 - 13 .594 9 - 9 .500 L2 14 - 4 4 - 7 1 - 2

Woot!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
When it's promises and rescinded. I consider that crossing.

but either way, going to kansas looks like the kids are doing it on their own now.

Not that they needed to, they're plenty talented to play D1 ball without dad on the bench.

The best thing for those kids best interest is to be separated from their father.

Tubby did what's in his own best interest. He deserves no credit for realizing to late that this was a mistake.

That does not absolve the kids from their behavior as they left. What they did was nothing short of, "you promised us, and our dad, you'd agree to his slimy extortion, but you backed out when you realized you had made a huge mistake ... so we are leaving."

There are no winners in this mess. Including Kansas.

Reaction Score
The best thing for those kids best interest is to be separated from their father.

Tubby did what's in his own best interest. He deserves no credit for realizing to late that this was a mistake.

That does not absolve the kids from their behavior as they left. What they did was nothing short of, "you promised us, and our dad, you'd agree to his slimy extortion, but you backed out when you realized you had made a huge mistake ... so we are leaving."

"Good luck Kansas....."

the Q

Reaction Score

Agreed.

But acting like kids being mad that their dad was given the short end of the stick is some abomination (like that article did) is just self-righteous nonsense IMO.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm just glad UConn didn't lose players by cleaning house!:(

Reaction Score
Tubby didn't even make the promise. It was the AD, I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom