lauren engeln | The Boneyard

lauren engeln

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yes, both her and Michaela will not be playing this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wish both of them the best. I think it's pretty clear they wouldn't have gotten much PT this year, but given what we know now (class of 1 from 2013), it will be curious to see how it might have panned out for them next year... Still hope they are both super successful in their last 2 years, and that they really remember their UCONN experience with fondness...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That rule needs a revisionsbericht.

Actually Eric, isn't it possible that they would have seen plenty of time w games being put away early.
The 2+ Heather would have been a useful cleanup corps.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think that rule needs a revision also, especially if coaches can jump ship and start immediately. Maybe they have to sit out til Christmas, or something? I don't really see the purpose of the rule, other than discouraging transfers. But if a player is unhappy and can play elsewhere, why hold them to a decision they made when they were 16 or 17? Especially if there is a major change in coaching, etc.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't think that they would have seen any meaningful time. I don't even think they would have seen cleanup time, to tell you the truth. Geno would probably use that time to get MJ and Kiah especially some great minutes and a chance for the "second" string to run some offense and defense. Maybe a few minutes a game, but what's the point of that? Plus, I am betting UConn's practices are much more efficient and competitive now. Just a bet. Not saying a bad word about Lauren or Michaela, just that everyone is pretty much on the same level now in terms of ability.

Reaction Score
I think that rule needs a revision also, especially if coaches can jump ship and start immediately. Maybe they have to sit out til Christmas, or something? I don't really see the purpose of the rule, other than discouraging transfers. But if a player is unhappy and can play elsewhere, why hold them to a decision they made when they were 16 or 17? Especially if there is a major change in coaching, etc.
OK, but there was no change in coaching here.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yes, I am aware of that. I'm saying in general.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not saying "meaningful time," I'm saying when the game is decided with 10-12 minutes to go, the kind of time that will spare KLM a concussion

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't think that they would have seen any meaningful time. I don't even think they would have seen cleanup time, to tell you the truth. Geno would probably use that time to get MJ and Kiah especially some great minutes and a chance for the "second" string to run some offense and defense. Maybe a few minutes a game, but what's the point of that? Plus, I am betting UConn's practices are much more efficient and competitive now. Just a bet. Not saying a bad word about Lauren or Michaela, just that everyone is pretty much on the same level now in terms of ability.

Yeah, everytime the coach yells at a player, or they get benched or they feel they aren't getting enough PT they should be able to just up and quit and sign on with another team. There has to be some consequence for player transfers. It's bad enough what goes on with the NBA on the men's side without introducing some destabilizing crap in the women's game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I agree. If Buck isn't seeing significant minutes, neither would Michala or Lauren. Geno is absolutely using garbage time to test out different lineups and develop the underclassmen.

Can't blame either for leaving. Geno demands an incredible amount of his players. It's a lot to undertake without the prospect of it paying off in terms of being able to truly play for Uconn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That rule needs a revisionsbericht.

Actually Eric, isn't it possible that they would have seen plenty of time w games being put away early.
The 2+ Heather would have been a useful cleanup corps.
True, but so far even in blowouts, Heather has pretty much been in for the last 4 minutes. I don't know if the other two would have fared much better... UCONN's "problem" this year is they have legitimately 10 players who are really good - and the lowest MPG goes to Kiah at this point at 14.4. That's a lot of solid minutes for his "top 10"...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am not saying there shouldn't be something for players who transfer. Maybe half a year of eligibility lost instead of a full year. This way teams could redshirt if they chose, or not. I don't know that players would transfer because a coach "yelled" at them, but there are things that are unforeseen. Maybe they get extremely homesick, or they have a family situation. Or maybe the coach recruits over them. I think if players have to basically earn their scholarship every year they should be able to transfer out with less of a penalty. Especially since coaches can without penalty. And regarding coaching, maybe a player can't get along with a coach the way they thought they would during recruiting. I would love to see both Lauren and Michaela be able to contribute right away at their new teams. No hard feelings at all.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
True, but so far even in blowouts, Heather has pretty much been in for the last 4 minutes. I don't know if the other two would have fared much better... UCONN's "problem" this year is they have legitimately 10 players who are really good - and the lowest MPG goes to Kiah at this point at 14.4. That's a lot of solid minutes for his "top 10"...

Everyone on the team is getting double digits yet Buck is getting less than 3 minutes a game in a schedule that has had 5 blowouts in a row. None of us know what is going on but we all know PT is earned in practice.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
At one point last night in the 2nd half I realized not a single starter was on the floor. Still, the team was killing it....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't really see sitting out a year as punitive. It's an additional year of college that is paid for and affords the kid an opportunity to become acclimated to a new campus and a new social and academic environment. By transferring, the kid may need extra time to fulfill the requirements of a degree at the new school, and if s/he doesn't, the extra year could allow him/her to get part of a graduate degree paid for.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Let me mull this one over......Coaches sit out for a time when changing jobs?

Changing JOBS??

Tell me, who is going to lead the team whilst the coaches wait out their penalty time? Schools cannot afford to pay two head coaches...

This sounds a bit harsh, but - coaches vs players - we are talking two different animals here. I do not see value in making coaches "sit out" some time when making a job change all.

Reaction Score
What about Kennitra? Has that skin problem under her bandage healed yet?

I can't wait to see her on the court this year!
KJ finished her career with the Screaming Eagles of division II Southern Indiana, after a brief stop at Perdue. She's a health teacher in her home state. Boy, was she fast.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm not saying "meaningful time," I'm saying when the game is decided with 10-12 minutes to go, the kind of time that will spare KLM a concussion

What a BS comment. Players can get hurt anytime.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Everyone on the team is getting double digits yet Buck is getting less than 3 minutes a game in a schedule that has had 5 blowouts in a row. None of us know what is going on but we all know PT is earned in practice.
I hate to say this, and I have no idea if true or not, but it's also possible that Buck has hit her ceiling, and given she's a senior, playing her simply doesn't do the team any good.

If he has the 5 subs in (2nd team of Jefferson, Hartley, Banks, Tuck and Stokes), even in a blowout, they are going to get to work on stuff that will benefit them later this year and possibly in years to come. Heather simply gives you nothing offensively (as much as fans wish it otherwise), and as a 5th year senior, isn't going to be learning any more for next year...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If we're thinking about changing the rule and not wanting to break completely with past practice, perhaps following year eligibility could be based on lack of playing time; say 5 or 7 minute average per game (correct number to be decided) which might indicate lesser interest by the team, injury aside
Something along the lines of the redshirt rules.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy
So it's later in the season, the various combinations have solidified (Geno has figured that any combination of the ten works and has coached them up):)
Maybe it's the first game of the Big East Tourney (3 or 4 in a row)
UConn is up by 55 with 14 minutes to go, the other team (lets say Rutgers) is getting really chippy and the Ref's are disinterested.
Under those circumstances, wouldn't it be good to have a coupla spare bodies to put out with Heather.
Is that so unreasonable... ? Maybe not BS?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy
So it's later in the season, the various combinations have solidified (Geno has figured that any combination of the ten works and has coached them up):)
Maybe it's the first game of the Big East Tourney (3 or 4 in a row)
UConn is up by 55 with 14 minutes to go, the other team (lets say Rutgers) is getting really chippy and the Ref's are disinterested.
Under those circumstances, wouldn't it be good to have a coupla spare bodies to put out with Heather.
Is that so unreasonable... ? Maybe not BS?

It's just BS to blame her being out there later in the game for an injury. Now, if you want to say the odds increase for someone getting hurt the more they play, you'd have a point. But 29 minutes is 29 minutes, no matter when you are playing in regards to getting hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom