Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well Geno has done everything he can do to land Cox. A trip to a packed house at First Nite the unbelievable trophy and banner room the aphnosphere in Gampel were all about UConn BB not football. UConn WCBB has nothing to sell. To see it up close and be part of it as a teenager has to be overwhelming. Kinda like a little kid in a candy shop with all her favorite candies. Now while every other school sells on near capacity crowds at football games the bottom line is shes is a BB star. Her BB experience at UConn is second to none. Her decision will come in a few weeks. I think it will be very difficult for her to say No to UConn however it could happen for reasons other then BB. There are very few players who can change a program...must get players. I think for UConn Lauren is one that is a must get. If she doesn't come to UConn Geno will still have the best team in WCBB. Cox will give him the biggest edge and for Lauren the experience and development will be beyond anything she's ever dreamed. It will be hard for her to forget her experience at UConn. I am sure her first impression will last a ling time no matter what he decision is. There is nothing like it. Now we wait and see.
I agree with almost everything except about Cox being a "must get". Diana Taurasi was a must get. Candace Parker was a must get. Ogwimike, Griner, Moore, and Stewie were must gets for the programs they chose to attend. They were top rated recruits who were game changers for the programs they chose to go to. KML, while a terrific player, and a #1 recruit, was not a must get. Cox is not even the consensus #1 kid in her class - there are a growing number (Blue Star, Prospects Nation) who think Holmes is better. I don't believe Cox is in the same league as Moore, Taurasi, Parker, Griner, or Stewart.

Having said that, I'd love to land her. I think she would flourish at UCONN and get the best coaching, training, and teammates in the WCBB world. I think that adding her and Dangerfield to Nurse, Butler, Williams, Collier and Samuelson would make UCONN far and away the best team. Without her I still think we are but a lot will depend on 2017... But I still think it's a longshot for her to come to UCONN.

Reaction Score
I have been for months, on this Board, sifting out the gold from the doss and, this young lady is a God fearing person. So, it's onward to Baylor- ND losing the toss. And she will be a difference-maker at both these schools. Next (or we can wait- if the answer has not been given), We should get Diana to use her connections and send us 1 or 2 of the young Russians (U-18) forwards/centers that dazzled us this summer. I am greedy enough to ask for the PG too- but, Dangerfield will have to approve her coming along.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have been for months, on this Board, sifting out the gold from the doss and, this young lady is a God fearing person. So, it's onward to Baylor- ND losing the toss. And she will be a difference-maker at both these schools. Next (or we can wait- if the answer has not been given), We should get Diana to use her connections and send us 1 or 2 of the young Russians (U-18) forwards/centers that dazzled us this summer. I am greedy enough to ask for the PG too- but, Dangerfield will have to approve her coming along.
You are such a kill joy!:( " On to Baylor or ND":eek:-how unkind. We are UCONN we want our cake and it better be chocolate too. You may very well be on to something with bringing other Russians to UCONN. But let's not use DT. We need to use Svetlana Abrosimova- who has been engaged in a fight to retain control of Russian basketball.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You are such a kill joy!:( " On to Baylor or ND":eek:-how unkind. We are UCONN we want our cake and it better be chocolate too. You may very well be on to something with bringing other Russians to UCONN. But let's not use DT. We need to use Svetlana Abrosimova- who has been engaged in a fight to retain control of Russian basketball.
Good one!

Reaction Score
Since '95, UConn wins the NC every other year, on the average. So a kid has to work hard at it to spend four years at UConn and not win a championship, and she will need a lot of help. I know, Charde Huston accomplished this amazing feat.
I love stats as much as anyone and while what you state is accurate I think it disrespects the kids from the two classes in a 20 year span who fell through that gap. The class who entered in 1996 and the one in 2005 should both be given credit for having each reached a Final Four, the 1996 class in their freshman year and the 2005 class got there in their senior year.

In the 21 years (1995-2015) there have been 84 spots in the Final Four available. Obvious that no school can have more than 21 appearances. SO - UConn, 15, Tenn 11, Stanford 9, Notre Dame 7, add them up and they account for 50% of the "fields". In this time frame only three have won multiple titles, UConn 10- Tenn 5-Baylor 2. Only four other schools have even one (Notre Dame, Purdue, Maryland, and Texas A & M). The bridesmaid award is shared by Tenn. and Notre Dame who have both been topped in the title game 4 times, and interestingly (at least to me) was that 6 of those 8 defeats came at the hands of.....oh yeah, UConn.

A statistical oddity is that of the remaining 42 spots 11 schools have multiple appearances from 2 to 5 (LSU) while 11 other schools have made a single final four. Best of that bunch may well be South Carolina. So in total there have been 29 schools out of the 351 that were supposedly NCAA Div. 1 programs (as of 13/14) for just a shade over 8% of the schools managed a trip to the FF in the last 21 years. If this doesn't convince people how good our girls are nothing ever will.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"We should get Diana to use her connections and send us 1 or 2 of the young Russians (U-18) forwards/centers that dazzled us this summer"

Are you sure that Auriemma wants another Russian player?

Reaction Score
"We should get Diana to use her connections and send us 1 or 2 of the young Russians (U-18) forwards/centers that dazzled us this summer"

You may remember that Calhoun had a pipeline for several years to Israel, most notably Doron Scheffer and Nadev Henefeld who both were solid for the program. Yeah, Geno and Svet had their dustups, maybe less so now that Geno has mellowed so much (haha)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

As with American recruits we are not talking "ordinary Russians" here. Specifically hjoerring had these 3 in mind and yes Geno will want them. Everyone in the world wants them.
PG Kseniia LEVCHENKO
C Maria VADEEVA
F Raisa MUSINA.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ATUSFoGYAs?autoplay=1&enablejsapi=1

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I agree with almost everything except about Cox being a "must get". Diana Taurasi was a must get. Candace Parker was a must get. Ogwimike, Griner, Moore, and Stewie were must gets for the programs they chose to attend. They were top rated recruits who were game changers for the programs they chose to go to. KML, while a terrific player, and a #1 recruit, was not a must get. Cox is not even the consensus #1 kid in her class - there are a growing number (Blue Star, Prospects Nation) who think Holmes is better. I don't believe Cox is in the same league as Moore, Taurasi, Parker, Griner, or Stewart.

Having said that, I'd love to land her. I think she would flourish at UCONN and get the best coaching, training, and teammates in the WCBB world. I think that adding her and Dangerfield to Nurse, Butler, Williams, Collier and Samuelson would make UCONN far and away the best team. Without her I still think we are but a lot will depend on 2017... But I still think it's a longshot for her to come to UCONN.
I agree that Cox is very good,but not a must get.If there is anyone who would be considered a must get over the next few years,it would be Walker,only because her talent is over the top,in my opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But have they played pro ball already? That is the question.
All kinds of ways to get around that is my understanding. Salvadores (Duke) and Cecilia Zandalasini who decided to stay in europe had also played pro-ball.

Reaction Score
I agree that Cox is very good,but not a must get.If there is anyone who would be considered a must get over the next few years,it would be Walker,only because her talent is over the top,in my opinion.
Don't forget that according to current comments Morgan Tuck has indicated she will be back for her red shirt year while she pursues a masters degree. As always, time will tell.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
All kinds of ways to get around that is my understanding. Salvadores (Duke) and Cecilia Zandalasini who decided to stay in europe had also played pro-ball.
Interesting . . .

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Looks more like Louisville dropped Cox from their list.

Likely because they knew their chances were slim. I seriously doubt they would accept Johnson's verbal if they thought they had a real shot at Cox.

I bet if Cox woke up tomorrow with a sudden epiphany that Louisville was the only place for her, Walz would find a way to make room.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Likely because they knew their chances were slim. I seriously doubt they would accept Johnson's verbal if they thought they had a real shot at Cox.

I bet if Cox woke up tomorrow with a sudden epiphany that Louisville was the only place for her, Walz would find a way to make room.

Either way, Louisville stopped its recruitment of Cox, she didn't just decide to drop them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually it is not very easy to get around it - as a number of men's recruits have found. Playing for a club team is not necessarily 'professional' as a bunch of the players are not paid, but may have a deal similar to a prep school scholarship. It is one reason very few European players even consider US colleges because they have screwed up their NCAA eligibility.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually it is not very easy to get around it - as a number of men's recruits have found. Playing for a club team is not necessarily 'professional' as a bunch of the players are not paid, but may have a deal similar to a prep school scholarship. It is one reason very few European players even consider US colleges because they have screwed up their NCAA eligibility.
The hardest part is the darn NCAA and it's situational ethics. In 2010 Enes Kantor who had played "club" ball in Europe enrolled at Kentucky. The NCAA kept him dangling until Jan 8 of 2011 (well into the basketball season) before ruling him permanently ineligible. They were more timely about Salvadoes situation this summer. Would like to see NCAA make the ruling black and white. If you played club or pro ball in Europe you can't play in the NCAA. Right now NCAA elegibility depends on the amount of benefits (salary, room & board, car allowance etc.) received. Club ball can start at 14 in Europe ,so kind of like going into an IRS audit going back 4 years not knowing which deduction will cause you to fail the audit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And you know this how? They may have stopped their recruitment of her because she dropped them.
Come on this is the Boneyard, do any of us really know ? It's all specualtion right and reading between the lines of tweets and such. We all specualted that South Carolina was out because the Cox's published a list of official vist and SC was not on it. Do we know if Dawn dropped her or She dropped SC?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Come on this is the Boneyard, do any of us really know ? It's all specualtion right and reading between the lines of tweets and such. We all specualted that South Carolina was out because the Cox's published a list of official vist and SC was not on it. Do we know if Dawn dropped her or She dropped SC?

Hey, I'm with you. Look at my posts - "Likely" "I doubt" "I bet" "they may"

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And you know this how? They may have stopped their recruitment of her because she dropped them.

I am going off of what the article says and solely that. The article says that Louisville stopped its recruitment of Cox. Make whatever conjecture you want, I am just going off of what the article says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom