Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And you know this how? They may have stopped their recruitment of her because she dropped them.

This is what is stated in the article. This clearly indicates that Louisville is the one that severed the recruiting process. Did you read the article?

The Cardinals ended their recruitment when they accepted an oral commitment from Ciera Johnson, a 6-4 center from Duncanville, Texas, who is rated the No. 15 recruit in the class by ESPNHoopGurlz.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree with almost everything except about Cox being a "must get". Diana Taurasi was a must get. Candace Parker was a must get. Ogwimike, Griner, Moore, and Stewie were must gets for the programs they chose to attend. They were top rated recruits who were game changers for the programs they chose to go to. KML, while a terrific player, and a #1 recruit, was not a must get. Cox is not even the consensus #1 kid in her class - there are a growing number (Blue Star, Prospects Nation) who think Holmes is better. I don't believe Cox is in the same league as Moore, Taurasi, Parker, Griner, or Stewart.

Having said that, I'd love to land her. I think she would flourish at UCONN and get the best coaching, training, and teammates in the WCBB world. I think that adding her and Dangerfield to Nurse, Butler, Williams, Collier and Samuelson would make UCONN far and away the best team. Without her I still think we are but a lot will depend on 2017... But I still think it's a longshot for her to come to UCONN.

Eric, I agree with your assessment. I liken Cox to Mercedes Russell. I think she will be a good college player but I don't see her as the type of player that puts a team over the top. I would love to see her at Baylor but Baylor is pretty set in the post for the next few years, which may well steer her in the direction of another university.

I do not think Cox ends up at Baylor. I think she will end up at a university that can use more of a post presence.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Eric, I agree with your assessment. I liken Cox to Mercedes Russell. I think she will be a good college player but I don't see her as the type of player that puts a team over the top. I would love to see her at Baylor but Baylor is pretty set in the post for the next few years, which may well steer her in the direction of another university.

I do not think Cox ends up at Baylor. I think she will end up at a university that can use more of a post presence.

Finally you said it! If she ends up at Baylor ... well, unlike guards, you can have too many bigs. One side of the plane can list, etc. :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This is what is stated in the article. This clearly indicates that Louisville is the one that severed the recruiting process. Did you read the article?

The Cardinals ended their recruitment when they accepted an oral commitment from Ciera Johnson, a 6-4 center from Duncanville, Texas, who is rated the No. 15 recruit in the class by ESPNHoopGurlz.

Right, the Cardinals ended their recruitment when they accepted an oral commitment from Johnson. But it's still possible that Cox ended her consideration of Louisville before that.

It's like saying, "Orangutan ended his employment with Acme, Inc. on Friday when he left work." That would be a true statement even if I had got fired earlier that day.

Walz and his top recruiter flew to Texas to visit her in September. That's on top of her official visit. It seems clear they wanted her bad, so the idea that they took Johnson without knowing what Cox might do and unilaterally ended the process make no sense to me.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Right, the Cardinals ended their recruitment when they accepted an oral commitment from Johnson. But it's still possible that Cox ended her consideration of Louisville before that.

It's like saying, "Orangutan ended his employment with Acme, Inc. on Friday when he left work." That would be a true statement even if I had got fired earlier that day.

Walz and his top recruiter flew to Texas to visit her in September. That's on top of her official visit. It seems clear they wanted her bad, so the idea that they took Johnson without knowing what Cox might do and unilaterally ended the process make no sense to me.

Yes, it is possible, but it is not what the article indicates. Continue to speculate and I will stick with what the article indicates as I am sure that the person who wrote that has more inside information than I, or you, have.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

My understanding was also that with that verbal that Louisville was at 15 players. Maybe I am wrong.

Reaction Score

Maybe they told Johnson if she committed they would not take Cox (knowing it was unlikely they would get Cox anyway).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, it is possible, but it is not what the article indicates. Continue to speculate and I will stick with what the article indicates as I am sure that the person who wrote that has more inside information than I, or you, have.

The article doesn't indicate one way or the other. It just says when Louisville ended their recruitment. It doesn't say whether Cox stopped her interest in Louisville before or after that date.

In terms of the question of who rejected whom, it is not the case that I am speculating and you are going off the article. We're both speculating because the article says nothing about it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Maybe they told Johnson if she committed they would not take Cox (knowing it was unlikely they would get Cox anyway).

This makes very good sense to me. I recall a few years ago that Randy Edsall's pitch to a quality HS center included a promise to not sign any other center in that class. It worked, and the center signed with UConn. I am persuaded that it may be a common recruiting ploy.

Similarly, there is a lot of speculation that McCoy is awaiting Cox's decision before she commits.

Reaction Score
I agree that Cox is very good,but not a must get.If there is anyone who would be considered a must get over the next few years,it would be Walker,only because her talent is over the top,in my opinion.

Much as I'd like to have Cox, I agree that she is not a must get. My thinking is based on the women coming in this year and those who will be around for a year or two after this season (Tuck & Butler). UConn should be able to remain high up in wcbb for the near future. Cox would give the Huskies a longer term big, so she's an important get if not a must get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom