Latest (Nov 28) AP Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Latest (Nov 28) AP Poll

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My view is that they haven't done enough by virtue of their weak schedule to stay at 2 in the rankings. Perhaps Tara should have schedule tougher opposition like Geno does.
We're 3 weeks into the season. Can you come up with a top 25 ranking consisting exclusively of teams that have scored quality wins in the first 21 days? I'd like to see it.

In the big picture, why does it matter? The point totals are pretty close. If UConn were one point ahead of Stanford in the balloting in week 4, would we be happier? In the end it's people ticking boxes on a ballot.

It's hardly rocket science. If and when Stanford loses to a lower-ranked team, they'll drop. If UConn can succeed where Stanford failed and beat SC later in the season, we'll move up.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Rankings are only good for conversation. Other than that, this time of year, they're meaningless. We know our women are the best and that's all that really matters.
During the 2nd quarter yesterday, I was almost on life support. Fortunately, during half time, the wife had me on oxygen and I was revived when the kids came out and showed who was in charge.
This time of year, all the teams have ups and downs. It's reassuring that these kids do NOT wilt under pressure. Talk about regaining composure!
But, back to the rankings; I am not missing the L Vols.

Reaction Score
change has come!
next up? big east competing for top recruits.
Like many of us who were Big East women's and men's fans for many years said when we first rejoined the conference, it would get much better soon and it has already eclipsed the AAC. The recruits that are the result of the "Husky Effect" have only just begun and the transfer portal will continue to be spinning which will accelerate the process. Go to Seton Hall in New Jersey or Marquette in Wisconsin or Creighton in Nebraska and play against UCONN on TV? Or at UCONN at least once a year and sometimes play them 3 times? If I can't play for UCONN I can play against them and maybe make the Elite 8 or better with another BE team. Sound realistic? How about lose in the Elite 8 to the eventual national champion? Don't think for a minute that isn't being used in Omaha right now.

Reaction Score
UConn only beat the weakened Texas team by 7 points, the same margin of victory that Marquette beat them by.
Maybe the AP pollsters agreed with Geno, that UConn has 50-60 points sitting on the bench due to injuries that puts us at a disadvantage.
Or else we could have started the season ranked at #2 and beaten Texas by more points.
Let's see, Paige Bueckers or Rori Harmon?. Who was the most weakened?

Reaction Score
We're 3 weeks into the season. Can you come up with a top 25 ranking consisting exclusively of teams that have scored quality wins in the first 21 days? I'd like to see it.

In the big picture, why does it matter? The point totals are pretty close. If UConn were one point ahead of Stanford in the balloting in week 4, would we be happier? In the end it's people ticking boxes on a ballot.

It's hardly rocket science. If and when Stanford loses to a lower-ranked team, they'll drop. If UConn can succeed where Stanford failed and beat SC later in the season, we'll move up.
Nowhere did I suggest anything about ranking the top 25, just who should be 2 and who should be 3. Don't invent a different discussion.

Reaction Score
Not an apples to apples comparison. One player is out for the season. The other isn't.
Where did I say anything about the season? I was just reacting to a suggestion that in Texas vs UCONN, Texas was somehow more weakened than UCONN for that game

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The polls are good for discussion. That's it.

Various writers have their opinions/ agendas as to who should be ranked and where. Were #3 and pretty much at the same level as SC and Stanford. All is good.

But I did smile when I noticed no Tennessee!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
LSU at #11 is way too high considering the highest rated team that they have played so far in the Massey ratings is UAB, and they are rated #144 as of today's rating, the lowest is MS Valley St at #355. Teams that play schedules like this should not be rewarded for anything until they play someone that is not just cannon fodder. They will not play a team currently rated in the Top 50 until their first SEC game at Arkansas on 12/29, that's almost 2 months into the regular season and 13 games just to help earn a winning record at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
If SCr and Stanford are far better than the rest of the team I fully agree Stanford should be #2 even they lost to SCr.

But UConn beat #3, #6 and #10 teams and is undefeated. This is not pure luck. UConn deserves some respect as one of the top team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nowhere did I suggest anything about ranking the top 25, just who should be 2 and who should be 3. Don't invent a different discussion.
It's not a different discussion, unless you're claiming that there's something so unique about the #2 and #3 spots that an entirely different standard should apply only to them and not to all other 23 spots.

Reaction Score
LSU at #11 is way too high considering the highest rated team that they have played so far in the Massey ratings is UAB, and they are rated #144 as of today's rating, the lowest is MS Valley St at #355. Teams that play schedules like this should not be rewarded for anything until they play someone that is not just cannon fodder. They will not play a team currently rated in the Top 50 until their first SEC game at Arkansas on 12/29, that's almost 2 months into the regular season and 13 games just to help earn a winning record at the end of the season.
Kim had the same type of pre-conference schedule each year when she coached Baylor. It could be that she incorrectly believes that “all you can eat” applies to cupcakes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, it’s time for me to once again point out that Kim Mulkey’s OOC schedule contains more cupcakes than a high school bake sale……:rolleyes:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
OK, it’s time for me to once again point out that Kim Mulkey’s OOC schedule contains more cupcakes than a high school bake sale……:rolleyes:

Drum Joke GIF

Reaction Score
Kim has always been a cupcake scheduler but this one was even a new low for her. I get the schedule was made way ahead of time and they were expecting basically 10 new players replacing the entire team but to not schedule at least a few decent teams is a 100% failure on her. I REFUSE to believe they couldn't have found a way to tweak the schedule to fit in a couple better teams after the portal in late April.

Quite frankly, I think LSU has a solid squad this year with a lot of upside. Ange Reese and Morris are an amazing duo, very talented freshmen and some great transfers who play their roles extremely well. But until they play anyone with a pulse. I would put them in the 17-25 range until they prove themselves. I won't be shocked if they get beat up badly by Arkansas to open SEC play because not a single team the face is remotely competitive. I still expect them to do very well this year but thats enough of my rant. I have voiced it over and over. Me and @Plebe have beaten a dead horse over it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only 11 point difference between UConn and Stanford. How do you you count the Texas win? Sure they were #3 at the time, but they got that ranking before their All Star point guard was hurt. So that is a misleading win.
Someone pointed out that our three wins against Texas, N.C. State and Duke, were against teams dominated with "portal" players, which means it wll take time for them to play together. Iowa was the first real team. Which is to say, a lot will change over the course of the season, so rankings now are basically meaningless.

Of course you can argue, correctly, that UConn is missing four starters from last year's Final Four team. Several players, Dorka, CD AG, Azzi, are recovering from last year's injuries. Which makes it difficult for outsiders to evaluate this year's team.
Give Uconn a little more time, play a few more games we win and they will be # 2, until we meet SC and then we will be #1. Have patience. We're coming into our part of the season where we will shine.. GO HUSKIES!!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't get Stanford at 2. Who have they beaten? No one. Meanwhile UCONN has wins over 3, at the time in the top 10. Where does the bias come from? (a rhetorical question.) Is it simply because Geno has too many NCs and Tara not enough?
As a diehard UConn fan and what I hope is perceived as a knowledgeable WCBB fan, I too have voted Stanford as the #2 team behind SC. The Cardinal have a great front court with Brink, Iriafen, Jones with Prechtel and Betts coming off the bench. Add in Belibi and Demetre who also play over 12 min a game and that is far better than what we have at those positions and it's not even a close comparison. Our advantage is at guard play as Azzi, Lou and Nika are better than Jump, Lepola, Bosgana, Nivar and Emma-Nnopu but given the length that Stanford can put out on the court, that is a very tough match-up. Luckily games will determine the Top 2 spots and 3/4 will be voted on in the end. THIS IS NOT a conspiracy or a bias, simply voters thought Stanford is better. By the way not all 29 voted for Stanford as #2 29*24pts=696 only 20 of them voted the Cardinal as #2, the other 9 voted for UConn.

Our fans take these types of in-season polls and articles as personal slights when they are really designed to promote the game and garner discussion in a positive way.

Or to quote Sgt Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis"....;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom