Lastest Coaching Rumor - UCLA OC Noel Mazzone | The Boneyard

Lastest Coaching Rumor - UCLA OC Noel Mazzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
coachingsearch9:51pm via Twitter for iPhone
A source tells me UCONN is eyeing UCLA offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone. Strong interest.

Very Interesting background.

Bio from UCLA

Wiki

1980–1981 - New Mexico (GA)
1982–1986 - Colorado State (QB/WR)
1987–1991 - TCU (QB)
1992–1994 - Minnesota (QB)
1995–1998 - Ole Miss (OC)
1999–2001 - Auburn (OC)
2002 - Oregon State (OC)
2003 - NC State (OC)
2004–2005 - Ole Miss (OC)
2006–2008 - New York Jets (WR)
2009 - Panther Creek HS (NC) (OC)
2010–2011 - Arizona State (OC)
2012 - Present - UCLA (OC)

Journeyman...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like a good fit. Mid 50s with no head coaching experience. I don't think there is a coach who has been very successful in college that got their first head coaching job after age 50. Seems like he would be a good option for offensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
Solid first name and he is a dead ringer for my buddy who gets season tix with me. A little older than i would like.

Reaction Score
Damn Medic you beat me 8 mins.

Not that Lembo or Narduzzi are going to sell many tickets, but this guy will sell much less than that. Seems like UConn do a lot better than this.

Wonder if Mangini is trying to sell him to Warde/Parker.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Without showing me what those schools did when he was coaching there, who can say? Nothing there to wow anyone.

Reaction Score
O. My. God.

Mazzone has the stench of GDL on him from his one year at Ole Miss. Michael Oher almost left there because of the two of them - GDL got fired and Mazzone went to the Jets. Pass.

mazzone_zps5e525940.jpg

Reaction Score
O. My. God.

Mazzone has the stench of GDL on him from his one year at Ole Miss. Michael Oher almost left there because of the two of them - GDL got fired and Mazzone went to the Jets. Pass.

mazzone_zps5e525940.jpg

Took you longer to make the connection than I thought... :eek:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
O. My. God.

Email that clip to Warde right freaking now.

Nip this in the bud.

Reaction Score
Took you longer to make the connection than I thought... :eek:

Never heard of the man until I saw the tweet quite honestly. Guess he was a Broyles finalist last year. But age and GDL-Mangini connection not working in his favor.

Reaction Score
Coaching Search is as much a vehicle to pimp and leverage agents' clients as it is a source of interest by a particular school. A symbiotic, or parasitic relationship depending upon which side of the table you're sitting at.

Mazzone makes 350k a year. Somebody wants to get paid. Unfortunately for him that payday won't come from UConn. But it would be kind of funny in a tragic way if Mazzone was named the UConn coach, with Mazzone naming his kid the OC.

Reaction Score
He's from New Mexico. He can be our own Walter White.
Yeah and he'll put GDL on his staff at which point we'll all get our guns and hop in our cars and head for Storr's like the scene in the desert that led to Hanks demise. Just kidding about the guns, we'd march in circles shouting "Hey Hey, Hey Ho, Warde and Susan have Got to GO!"

Reaction Score
Coaching Search is as much a vehicle to pimp and leverage agents' clients as it is a source of interest by a particular school. A symbiotic, or parasitic relationship depending upon which side of the table you're sitting at.

Mazzone makes 350k a year. Somebody wants to get paid. Unfortunately for him that payday won't come from UConn.

Bingo (on both accounts):

>>When questioned if he has spoken with UCLA about a possible pay raise to stay on board, Mazzone shared that there hasn't been any dialogue quite yet, but added "that kind of stuff is for after the season." Mazzone is receiving $350,000 this season and is set to make $375,000 in 2013, according to ESPN's Peter Yoon.<<

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/ucla...76672/noel-mazzone-ucla-offensive-coordinator

One of the lower paid major coordinators in the PAC12/P5. UCLA DC makes $55ok

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a joke, right? This is the best surfacing after 5 weeks? Come on ......I know that all stones have to be turned over....but sometimes, the stone
has to turned back over anda brick put on it....no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score

Mazzone makes 350k a year. Somebody wants to get paid. Unfortunately for him that payday won't come from UConn. But it would be kind of funny in a tragic way if Mazzone was named the UConn coach, with Mazzone naming his kid the OC.

It's very interesting how these names get into the mainstream. First we had Houston Nutt talking to "an unnamed CT high school coach" who is very likely an FCIAC coach (Cochran and Petroccio would be my guesses) and now this.

Would be nice to see another Dan Mullen-like trial balloons instead.

Reaction Score
These websites aren't all that different than how these search firms work.

If we hire this guy? Good God if we hire this guy.......

Reaction Score
13 jobs in 23 years - even by football coaching standards that's a lot of movement and a career assistant to boot. Can't imagine this is the hire.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to denigrate his successes.

But we seem to forget that any coach that has a decent resume of successes at whatever position, seems to have established himself in programs that are surrounded by areas rich in talent, and in P-5 programs. As the article indicates, his recruiting successes have recently been in SW/W coast areas.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he has never recruited players from New England, upper east coast states.......no relationship with HS coaches in this area, and not an over abundance of talent from which to entice athletes to come to UConn. Couple that with he is recruiting for a sub par team in a sub par conference, it would be best for him if he took opportunities on the west coast.

This conference could nail any coaches coffin shut.

Reaction Score
13 jobs in 23 years - even by football coaching standards that's a lot of movement and a career assistant to boot. Can't imagine this is the hire.

Did he really coach in high school, 4 years ago? I'll pass.

2009 - Panther Creek HS (NC) (OC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate