Lastest Coaching Rumor - UCLA OC Noel Mazzone | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lastest Coaching Rumor - UCLA OC Noel Mazzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ambrose has many good qualities. I think he would restore the discipline that left when RE did. He'd probably get UConn back to the RE winning level.

But hiring someone from the Edsall 'tree' just one coach removed from RE? Not sold that this would be the fresh-face, moving-forward, statement-making hire this program needs. Just IMO. If he gets the job I'll wish him luck. Still prefer Lembo, Narduzzi, or Mullen though.

Reaction Score
I've only seen it mentioned on this board but, if true, he might be too acerbic for UCONN's present situation. As I remember he was referred to as a "jerk." Starting with the day of his announcement, before he ever coaches a practice or recruits a player, the new guy needs media support. This isn't the Southeast. The Northeast media is typically cynical, nasty and perfectly willing to accelerate and over-do critique in the never ending search for eye balls and readership. Winning, which includes recruiting, is the number-one requirement. Media-savvy and media-friendly are very close seconds. Jerks need not apply.

Calhoun was kind of a jerk. So was Edsall.

P was always pretty nice.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was kind of a jerk. So was Edsall.

P was always pretty nice.

And, it took them a while, but they finally got JC. One of the things RE ran from. PP, the Kool-aid cult, I can't explain. Can you?

Reaction Score
And, it took them a while, but they finally got JC. One of the things RE ran from. PP, the Kool-aid cult, I can't explain. Can you?

coast into retirement with $1.7MM per year. Not much too explain. Let your buddy GDL have his way and not be a true CEO. Did we drink the cool aid for one year or what (don't want ever hear again about the "prototypical player".)

Reaction Score
No more 50 - 60 year old journeymen. Get a rising star with some energy or go snag a big time coach and pay some serious dollars. The next hire has to make a statement that we are not sticking around the Mickey Mouse Conference for very long and have national aspirations.

Reaction Score
If Manuel were to hire Ambrose they won't see another dime of my money for anything until both Ambrose and Manuel are gone! You can also forget about signing ANY CT kids as well! He has rebuilt Towson with kids who got playing time at schools like VaTech, Georgia, MD before transferring. He won't be able to do that here. Lembo or Narduzzi I like a LOT...Clawson no thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: pj

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
If Manuel were to hire Ambrose they won't see anothee dime of my money gor anything until both Ambrose and Manuel are both gone! You can also forget about signing ANY CT kids as well! He has rebuilt Towson with kids who got playing time at schools like VaTech, Georgia, MD before transferring. He won't be able to do that here. Lembo or Narduzzi I like a LOT...Clawson no thanks.

I only agree with the hi-lited part of your post but it's enough for a like from me. If Ambrose is hired it's because Warde & Susan don't take UCONN Football seriously. I'm 95% certain Rob Ambrose will not be our next head coach. If he is, I'll gladly give up my 11 year season ticket status. They'll be cheaper in 3 years during the next head coaching search.

Reaction Score
The other Roussel brother weighs in with an Uconn Update

embarrassed2.jpg

Reaction Score
I only agree with the hi-lited part of your post but it's enough for a like from me. If Ambrose is hired it's because Warde & Susan don't take UCONN Football seriously. I'm 95% certain Rob Ambrose will not be our next head coach. If he is, I'll gladly give up my 11 year season ticket status. They'll be cheaper in 3 years during the next head coaching search.

What a weird comment. That being said, if we hire Mazzone then I will be wondering if Warde is channeling Jeff Hathaway.

Ambrose is a killer. He would kick butt here. But there are plenty of coaches who could do that and better. We could do ALOT worse than Ambrose.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
What a weird comment. That being said, if we hire Mazzone then I will be wondering if Warde is channeling Jeff Hathaway.

Ambrose is a killer. He would kick butt here. But there are plenty of coaches who could do that and better. We could do ALOT worse than Ambrose.

You only find it a weird comment because you have a, "we could do a lot worse" mentality. I chose to demand more.

"A LOT" is two words by the way.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Bingo (on both accounts):

>>When questioned if he has spoken with UCLA about a possible pay raise to stay on board, Mazzone shared that there hasn't been any dialogue quite yet, but added "that kind of stuff is for after the season." Mazzone is receiving $350,000 this season and is set to make $375,000 in 2013, according to ESPN's Peter Yoon.<<

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/ucla...76672/noel-mazzone-ucla-offensive-coordinator

One of the lower paid major coordinators in the PAC12/P5. UCLA DC makes $55ok
If this is really true, you gotta wonder if UConn only is lookng at a guy like Mazzone because they know he'll be cheap in comparision to a Narduzzi or even a MAC head coach (Lembo or Clawson). Right? This guy doesn't seem like the rigth fit to me.

Reaction Score
If this is really true, you gotta wonder if UConn only is lookng at a guy like Mazzone because they know he'll be cheap in comparision to a Narduzzi or even a MAC head coach (Lembo or Clawson). Right?

Supposedly UConn is not looking @ Mazzone per Des but Mazzone is making more than Lembo ($350k +/- ) and is close to Clawson ($400k in 2014). Narduzzi is @ $512k.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You only find it a weird comment because you have a, "we could do a lot worse" mentality. I chose to demand more.

"A LOT" is two words by the way.

Thanks grammar dude. That didn't add ALOT to your argument. Ambrose could be the best guy out there, and he would cost a fortune up front.

Thanks ALOT.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Thanks grammar dude. That didn't add ALOT to your argument. Ambrose could be the best guy out there, and he would cost a fortune up front.

Thanks ALOT.

You're not only welcome, you're ADICK..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Ambrose possibility from Desmond worries me a bit. I don't think he's what we need. More than anything, the next coach can't be a New England guy or be associated with UConn (unless Belichick). He must be associated with a school in the P5, and in the upper half of its conference historically. I think it's important for UConn to create a connection to a strong football program by association, to distance ourselves from small time and mid major status.

Yeah, he needs to be young and be able to coach too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom