Lastest Coaching Rumor - UCLA OC Noel Mazzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Uggghh and it begins..... The SEARCH!

Reaction Score
... and why do you think his names gets floated??

Also depends on who's writing what:

"Despite some of their complaints this season, Bruins fans are hoping nothing materializes with the situation; Mazzone is an important member of the staff."
http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/uconn-ucla-noel-mazzone/211650

This is just so incredibly dumb. Nobody who is close to the situation is leaking anything to coachingsearch.com except Mazzone's agent.

I don't always agree with Ruskin but he is 100% right about these search firms that operate in similar ways. The only reason people say it's not a scam is because it's generally accepted as a way of doing business. It's the perfect scam.

Reaction Score
This is just so incredibly dumb. Nobody who is close to the situation is leaking anything to coachingsearch.com except Mazzone's agent.

No argument... Not sure what you're taking exception to? That was my point. (see post#15/25).

A coach takes some heat (or feels underpaid) and the next thing his name is floated for an opening.

Reaction Score
No argument... Not sure what you're taking exception to? That was my point. (see post#15/25).

A coach takes some heat (or feels underpaid) and the next thing his name is floated for an opening.

I'm not taking exception.....I'm agreeing with you.

Reaction Score
I'm not taking exception.....I'm agreeing with you.

Ah... Thought the "so incredibly dumb" referred to my post (not that I'm beyond being incredibly dumb).

Would it surprise you that Mazzone and Nutt have the same agent? Yup...

Reaction Score
Pretty sure his UCLA bio stated one of his sons actually plays on the team right now as well.

Reaction Score
Ah... Thought the "so incredibly dumb" referred to my post (not that I'm beyond being incredibly dumb).

LOL.

Just to be sure.....Warde, you hire this guy and my tickets become a decision.

Reaction Score

You mean this guy? UConn should probably stay away from the Sexton stable if true.

Hope Warde is savvy about this and doesn't get taken like a certain former UConn AD would have been.

Is this a great country or what? Four years ago Houston Nutt and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, pulled off one of the greatest coups ever. Nutt was in the process of being forced out at Arkansas and got a buyout of over $3.5 million to walk away. Just hours after his dismissal at Arkansas was announced Nutt was hired by Mississippi at a salary of about $2.5 million. This Saturday, after back to back losing seasons, Nutt will coach his last home game for Ole Miss against No. 1 LSU. The price tag for his departure this time will be another $6 million. Nutt, who just turned 54, could retire in style but says he wants to coach again: "I still think I've got one more good run left in me," he said.

Reaction Score
You mean this guy? UConn should probably stay away from the s e xton stable if true.

I would make an exception for Saban though... Maybe Gundy and Muschamp too.

Reaction Score
This sounds like a totally unconfirmed float. But if he is passing by he should just keep passing by until he gets to Rutgers. Then drop in.

Reaction Score
Never heard of the man until I saw the tweet quite honestly. Guess he was a Broyles finalist last year. But age and GDL-Mangini connection not working in his favor.

Rule I for WM: Anyone that knows anyone that knows anyone else that ever had anything to do with GDL is automatically eliminated from consideration. I know it sounds irrational, but GDL is starting to look Svengali-like in his ability to brain wash people into getting fired.

Reaction Score
FWIW:

desmondconner10:20am via Web
#UConn has strong interest in #UCLAassistant Noel Mazzone? That's not what I'm hearing. I'm hearing he's not on the radar.

desmondconner10:23am via Web
I'm hearing positive things about #MichiganState DC Pat Narduzzi as well as #Towsoncaoch Rob Ambrose with respect to #UConnhead coach

desmondconner10:24am via Web
Ron Prince, Jeff Tedford, Lane Kiffin, Turner Gill, all no-gos for #UConn head coach

desmondconner11:52am via Twitter for iPhone
On the no-gos for #UConnFootball too Houston Nutt

edit add:

footballscoop10:24am via TweetDeck
@desmondconner Keep an eye on Dave Clawson (Bowling Green)

Yup... I'm not writing what ya'll thinking... :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most of that is good news. I'm not sure I am convinced on Ambrose. He's absolutely done a nice job at Towson, but that's what people were saying about London a couple of years ago and he has been a disaster at Virginia. I think any time you hire a coach there is some risk, but it is a little higher asking a guy to move up from FCS. Not dismissing him by any stretch. But I'd be very cautious.

Reaction Score
Most of that is good news. I'm not sure I am convinced on Ambrose. He's absolutely done a nice job at Towson, but that's what people were saying about London a couple of years ago and he has been a disaster at Virginia. I think any time you hire a coach there is some risk, but it is a little higher asking a guy to move up from FCS. Not dismissing him by any stretch. But I'd be very cautious.

There have been plenty of I-AA to FBS success stories. Plus I think Ambrose knows the formula for success at UConn. He's better qualified than Edsall was when he was hired FWIW.

Reaction Score
It's hard not to be impressed with Ambrose. He turned that program around and came to the Rent and spanked us.

Reaction Score
There have been plenty of I-AA to FBS success stories. Plus I think Ambrose knows the formula for success at UConn. He's better qualified than Edsall was when he was hired FWIW.

I've only seen it mentioned on this board but, if true, he might be too acerbic for UCONN's present situation. As I remember he was referred to as a "jerk." Starting with the day of his announcement, before he ever coaches a practice or recruits a player, the new guy needs media support. This isn't the Southeast. The Northeast media is typically cynical, nasty and perfectly willing to accelerate and over-do critique in the never ending search for eye balls and readership. Winning, which includes recruiting, is the number-one requirement. Media-savvy and media-friendly are very close seconds. Jerks need not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom