Last night was Hurley's best coaching performance at UConn | The Boneyard

Last night was Hurley's best coaching performance at UConn

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, he was real good last night.

Going in to this season there was some legitimate(?) concern about him matching wits with the more established coaches. This year he's beaten Cooley, beaten McDermott and beaten Smart. There's room to grow but he's buried a few demons or something to tha effect.

Next up, wins on the road against Top 25 teams. That will have to wait until next year.

Reaction Score
I think this year he went out and got offensive players that could shoot and also are clutch in big games… because I think he knew he can teach them defense and toughness… hopefully it’s starting to all come together

Reaction Score

Going in to this season there was some legitimate(?) concern about him matching wits with the more established coaches. This year he's beaten Cooley, beaten McDermott and beaten Smart. There's room to grow but he's buried a few demons or something to tha effect.

Next up, wins on the road against Top 25 teams. That will have to wait until next year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I think people had some legitimate concerns about Hurley's coaching during our rough stretch last month. Since then he's made adjustments offensively and defensively and we've gotten back close to the level we were playing at early in the year. To me at least I've seen enough to feel good in his coaching ability moving forward.

Of course, we have to win at least one game in the NCAAs or most of the goodwill is going to go right out the door.

Reaction Score
Ok let's get some kudos in from Mau as well. Did some very good things, made some very good decisions throughout the game. His time outs were better and timely. Here's a few spot ons:

1) Hopkins comes out and looks like he's going to give AK a very long evening again. What's our first thought as fans? Throw AJ on him see what he can do right. No instead he stays with AJ on Carter and AK on Hopkins. The results were precious. AJ frustrated the hell out of Carter, played him physically like he does to those he guards. AJ was longer, more physical and just as fast it drove him nuts. AK with some help here and there defended Hopkins, held his ground moved his feet and was tremendous as well. DH didn't panic and it was well done!

2) Came out of a time out needing a hoop after a PC run and a couple bad possessions. What did he do he created a mismatch with Locke on AK on the low block and AK lit him up with a left finish at the rim. Great call by DH out of that TO.

I am not always happy with some stuff, I will eat lots of crow if he continues to show me great decisions, adjustments as we approach tourney time.

Reaction Score
Anyone else find it odd that providence didn’t seem to sag off Andre as aggressively as others have?
When he was in the corner they were sagging pretty far off (and he cut and got a layup on the 2nd possession). When he had the ball at the top of the key they were giving him a cushion, but not quite as far as like the Creighton sag. Watching replay, I saw at least one instance of Cooley making a back up hand gesture to his guy guarding Andre to sag further.

I think it goes against their identity a bit. They defend up in your trunks aggressively. A team like Creighton is much more composed and logical in their defense.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Beat Oates, too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Masterful job from the opening tip. Found the mismatches and wore PC down in the 2nd half.

I agree.

I thought he handled the game wonderfully….loved how he stole some rest minutes for his big guns midway through the first half. I thought that paid off in spades in the last ten minutes.

Reaction Score

Um, he is 3-1 against Smart.

He beat McDermott in a NCAA tournament game.

He has blown out Cooley twice.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m not sure whether it’s the guys seeing the floor better or whether it’s Hurley teaching the offense for better understanding, but last night I saw a lot more recognition of openings, options and defensive gaps than I’ve seen previously. A lightbulb showed up over lots of heads.

Karaban’s set off-ball screens for Hawkins and dove to the goal for layups. Jackson worked out of the corners a lot more, and created space for Hawkins and Newton to get in the lane. Sanogo moved around quite a bit, in the lane and on the perimeter, and that stressed the D. There were more than a couple high-low passes that worked. They found the open guy more often than not for a really good shot. We shot well, but they were also good shots.

Credit all around.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I’m not sure whether it’s the guys seeing the floor better or whether it’s Hurley teaching the offense for better understanding, but last night I saw a lot more recognition of openings, options and defensive gaps than I’ve seen previously. A lightbulb showed up over lots of heads.

Karaban’s set off-ball screens for Hawkins and dove to the goal for layups. Jackson worked out of the corners a lot more, and created space for Hawkins and Newton to get in the lane. Sanogo moved around quite a bit, in the lane and on the perimeter, and that stressed the D. There were more than a couple high-low passes that worked. They found the open guy more often than not for a really good shot. We shot well, but they were also good shots.

Credit all around.

A lot of teams have been pressuring our ball handlers on the perimeter, and Wednesday they used that to their advantage, running sets where the expectation is a guy will come around the 3 point line and take a dribble handoff, but instead cut back towards the basket for a layup. It happened a few times, and it's going to be another thing for opposing coaches to prepare for. Putting that split second of doubt in the defender's head should open things up on the perimeter a bit.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We’re very fortunate to have Kimani. He should get some head coaching looks soon, very deservedly so.
We are. And anyone who's been to the open practices in recent years would see just how important he is to what they do. He runs a lot of the show.
It'll suck when we lose him, but he deserves a head coaching gig yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom