Larry Brown bails at SMU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Larry Brown bails at SMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is all relative terms ... right?

Larry Brown took them to a place that few other college coaches might. In a really tight time frame. Simply amazing rise. But this was always the way this was going to end.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Jankovic last year, FWIW. Much better coach-in-waiting than Hopkins.

I don't think SMU will continue to be a top 20ish team as they were under Brown, but they won't fall off the face of the earth. And given Houston's rise under Sampson, Memphis under Smith and Temple continuing to be a strong team... I mean, the AAC is still a * sandwich. But it should be a 3-5 bid league in both the immediate and long-term future.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am the only one thinking that Ollie had a heck of time beating his old mentor and so, while I like having marquee coaches to play against, maybe it's not the worst news in the world?

Reaction Score
well,
Calhoun left us on probation too, and I think everyone agrees he left us in a good spot, no?

At the time, it was far from agreed upon.

I think it would be tough to slam Brown for leaving now but co-sign on what Calhoun did.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
At the time, it was far from agreed upon.

I think it would be tough to slam Brown for leaving now but co-sign on what Calhoun did.

Well there are many reasons why SMU wont be like UCONN after the transition. The biggest one being longevity. If Larry Brown had the last 10-15 years there like JC had 25 in Storrs, things may be more similar than anyone could imagine. That being said, in his short time there he certainly raised the profile of SMU as a basketball school. Whether they build off it or not is another thing, but sanctions aside that program is in way better shape today than when he started from a competitive standpoint and recruiting profile standpoint.

Reaction Score
he is.

He kinda strikes me as a basketball savant. Like one of those mad geniuses who are singularly great at one thing, and the rest of the details just "get in the way"
Exactly, he might be the greatest basketball mind we've ever seen and I don't think he cares all that much about winning and losing, well not as much as the other top coaches. It's part of why he never stays anywhere all that long, he wants to teach people the right way to play and at some point he usually gets bored and goes somewhere else to teach young men the right way to play basketball. He's always been pretty up front that he thinks the NCAA'S rules are ridiculous and arbitrary and he doesn't particularly care about following them. He's put some programs in tough spots but I kind of respect it.

Reaction Score
Well there are many reasons why SMU wont be like UCONN after the transition. The biggest one being longevity. If Larry Brown had the last 10-15 years there like JC had 25 in Storrs, things may be more similar than anyone could imagine. That being said, in his short time there he certainly raised the profile of SMU as a basketball school. Whether they build off it or not is another thing, but sanctions aside that program is in way better shape today than when he started from a competitive standpoint and recruiting profile standpoint.

No doubt he did a lot for the program. As for Jankovic (sp?), obviously a completely different ball game coaching the new crop than the seniors from last years team, but as @Matrim55 said, I have a lot more confidence in him than somebody like Hopkins.

Reaction Score
. He's always been pretty up front that he thinks the NCAA'S rules are ridiculous and arbitrary and he doesn't particularly care about following them. He's put some programs in tough spots but I kind of respect it.

I kind of agree.

Reaction Score
Whatever he wanted, they should've just given it to him. Their entire program is Larry Brown.

No way he would've gone the full 5 years anyway.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
well,
Calhoun left us on probation too, and I think everyone agrees he left us in a good spot, no?

I guess. If you consider a post-season ban and losing 3 schollies good.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I guess. If you consider a post-season ban and losing 3 schollies good.

no I consider it sucky in the immediate, but considering everything that has happened to us beyond our control (Corrupt NCAA, stupid CR, lousy conference affiliation) I would say that so far we have to be pretty happy with our lot in life in the last 4 years, no? (excellent recruiting class this year. Conference tourney championship last year. NCAA title a couple years ago) ..... schools kill for that resume in the best conditions. I marvel how we have done that under our conditions.

Reaction Score
Reports are they were only offering him 80% of his pay on a 1 year deal....they forced him out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Unlike his prior two collegiate stops, this time he stuck around until after the school was on probation instead of bolting before sanctions kicked in. SMU has to feel fortunate for that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Jankovic last year, FWIW. Much better coach-in-waiting than Hopkins.

I've been salivating for Hopkins to take over for years. Can't wait.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I am unwilling to believe for one second that this is due to a contract dispute.
The guy is approaching 80 and has multiple millions in the bank. He just wants to coach basketball at a high level. Even if they were quibbling about length, it wouldn't be worth it for Brown if he really wants to coach. Worse comes to worse he signs a 2 year deal, has to leave, and some desperate program takes a flyer on a 77-year-old Larry Brown.
It's either he didn't want to deal with the program anymore, or SMU forced him out.

Reaction Score
So, will/should Ollie hire his mentor Larry Brown as his assistant to be the George Blaney of the Ollie years?

pj

Reaction Score
So, will/should Ollie hire his mentor Larry Brown as his assistant to be the George Blaney of the Ollie years?

That would be awesome. Never happen though.

Reaction Score
Reports are they were only offering him 80% of his pay on a 1 year deal....they forced him out.
Nothing says leave like a 20% pay cut.
No need to read the tea leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member