Lappas & Gillen Embedded Analysts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lappas & Gillen Embedded Analysts

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It would have been better if it wasn't someone with as annoying a voice as Gillen.
I really liked the one where he was going to tell us what Hurley set up in a timeout, and instead said, "He has a lot of plays, but here's what I would do."
If you had any idea what to do, Pete. You might still be coaching instead of talking about it.

Reaction Score
Was at the game but I really like when Catalon and Lappas call our games. Catalon's really underrated.

Reaction Score
Give me SNY. CBS stunk it up. I tuned in to view the game, not the “i wish i was still coaching” guys. ...Don’t shrink the video of the game just to put their overbearing 2 videos on the screen along with their overbearing voices. It was not a good viewing experience. It was like listening to two screaming kids plus another one. I turned the volume way down.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
They were great. Concept is solid, needs to be fleshed out more, ex, they shouldn’t use whiteboards should be digital easier to follow etc etc. As for forgetting names, it isn’t joe buck or al Michaels, these regular guys are bound to forget a name on a regular basis it is what it is.

Reaction Score
They may be members of the mob for real, but they were still great. They didn’t mince words - towards the end of the game Gillen was yelling like Joe Pesci for one of the WSU guards to get yanked (or possibly whacked) because “he was throwing the ball all over the place.” They were excited and candid - I enjoy the way they call out players who suck like they’re members of the Boneyard.
Plus they were both yelling like maniacs: "Foul! FOUL now! Foul" in the closing seconds of the game. I think the end of regulation and end of the first OT.

Reaction Score
Not bad thought it would be worst when I heard about it. Gillen is a funny dude although not a great analyst but appreciate his in-game humor. "Hey let's go to Steve Lappas who has more plays than Shakespeare" :D

Lappas is a UConn fan at heart don't mind him at all.

Reaction Score
Not bad thought it would be worst when I heard about it. Gillen is a funny dude although not a great analyst but appreciate his in-game humor. "Hey let's go to Steve Lappas who has more plays than Shakespeare" :D

Lappas is a UConn fan at heart don't mind him at all.

Gotta admit that dig got a chuckle out of me.

For someone like me who never played basketball, it was a clever idea and I liked the insight they provided. Also, I could be completely wrong, but it felt like they played less advertisements and filled in the gaps with more commentary - which I'm completely for.

Reaction Score
I thought they were really into it and were having a great time. They kept their focus on the game and I don't think they mentioned Duke once which will always score points with me. TBH I rarely pay that much attention to the color and play by play to get annoyed by any team of announcers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how I feel about the whole concept but one of them made the statement a couple of times that Polley was our best player. Lost a lot of credibility there.
He was last game! They were up to date.

Reaction Score
My main issue was them talking over each other. I'm not sure how you can fix that. It was better than I thought it would be. Lappas harping on Carlton's awful defense and noting that it had been a major focus in practice was insightful for those who believe certain things about our coaching . . .

Reaction Score
My main issue was them talking over each other. I'm not sure how you can fix that. It was better than I thought it would be. Lappas harping on Carlton's awful defense and noting that it had been a major focus in practice was insightful for those who believe certain things about our coaching . . .

+1, at times if you just tuned in you may have thought there was something wrong with your tv feed. The game was going on and they were basically going back and forth about some story or situation from their past totally not related to what you were watching.

Reaction Score
A lot of folks on here like to diss them, but I found the whole broadcast (including their embedded analyses) excellent and entertaining.

I also thought it was great that there were many plays that they were able to comment on by being closer to the action by the basket in real time than if they were in the normal location.

CBS should do this again, imho. Kudos!
I agree. It was something different. allowed the coaches to get some in depth knowledge of the players. not my favorite Big East re-tread coaches but give them props for trying something different in a positive way.

I will say, Gillen was a broken record on the Shocker play saying he was a poor man's somebody I wasn't familiar with. Topic came up at least 3 - 4 times at different points. Kept saying the same thing. You just spent 3 days traveling with him, how about a little more insight into the person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom