Lagow going home... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lagow going home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just a guess, but I think there is always a little bias favoring the in state kids, obviously CT provides our best recruiting territory and you want to be able to point to in state success stories when recruiting future CT talent, the local kids also tend to know each other and i'm sure make their own recruiting calls, for example I'd bet Boyle made a few calls to Newsome. Xavier also provides a pipeline that needs to be kept open.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I don't buy this "pressure to play local kids" for a minute.

GEEZ ... we've been 5-7. Do you think if we go 6-6, Warde Manual gives an extra bonus point for playing a local or moving Cochran or Boyle above Lagow? That's garbage.

I do. Dracula has his head so far up the CT HS coaches assn rear ends so much it would not surprise me for one minute. He is a terrible game coach, way past his prime, and has run this program into the ground. That is a fact. What makes you think He gave RL a fair shot?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best of luck to him.

He committed early and was a great advocate for the program while he was committed.

He had some indecision around signing day. Maybe he thought there was a bigger pond out there, I don't know. But he stayed committed, showed up in good shape and good spirits. All indications were that he was a good teammate and practiced hard.

For whatever reason, his head and heart aren't in it and he wants to go. It is happening at almost every university right now- for athletes and regular students. No big deal.

He left with class and I wish him nothing but the best going forward.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow. Just wow.

I know that the recruitment was more than rocky, but I'm still shocked about it. This is a kid that was perhaps the best weapon we had on the recruiting trail this past year; active on Twitter, etc., to try to get others to commit to the Huskies. Even though it got weird towards the end of the recruitment, I thought that he was perhaps in it for the long-haul.

Be that as it may, I wish him and his family the best of luck in the future...

Reaction Score
Maybe Lagow was offered preferred walkon status at Bama, and maybe that's where he goes now figuring if you are going to be behind 4 other kids do it for the best team in the country.

That would be something if he ends up a starting QB at Bama. Pitt couldn't find room for a QB who was Super Bowl MVP last year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The desire for instant gratification is not what drove this decision. That's the furthest thing from the truth. I happen to know first hand, and don't ask me how, that this is as much about Coach P being under pressure to get the top local kids on the team and playing as anything else. And that is not meant as a dis to the local kids, either. Far from it. There is a lot of local talent on the team, including at QB, now and next year.

What many people (maybe all) on this board don't know is that Richard was headed to OU (and was also offered a spot by Saban at Bama) before coming to UConn. I know that's hard to believe because there was little to no press reporting on it. However, I'm personally familiar with the back story as to why he came to UConn and not those two schools. And it had nothing to do with him personally. Richard is an upstanding young man with a lot of football talent. Let's just allow him to ride off into the sunset with the dignity he deserves, and nothing but good wishes for the future.

So PP who needs to win to keep his job took a quarterback who had offers from Oklahoma and Alabama and buried him on the depth chart to play local kids.

A kid who was BEGGING for offers on signing day. If you want him to ride off into the sunset with dignity not trying to sell nonsense like that is a good start.

Reaction Score
What part do would you "dislike"? I am not wishing the kid any ill will, but what the hell man? You quit after 3 weeks because you're down the depth chart and away from home? What am I missing here?

I think you're missing the fact that you might MIGHT just be right. Keep in mind it's all an assumption.

And if so, that your assumption is correct, your response is totally out of line, because you're berating an 18 year old kid for making a good decision for himself, and furthermore, this is division 1A college football, not BUD/S, and even so, there's no difference between the two, as it comes to when a person realizes that it doesn't fit. ANd if it doesn't fit, a voluntary dropout is always preferable to an involuntary dropout as to future choices and course of action, and there is no way to predict who is going to make it, and who won't for either program - for either scenario.

It's up to the individual what to make of the experience, and I hope it turns out to be a life changing moment, for the better.

Cory Jasudowich and Richard Lagow - those are the only two names we know for attrition due to voluntary drop out, because they're high profile, I'm quite sure there are more kids that have strapped on pads in the past month, that have experienced the 2013 UCONN football program, and are now choosing different paths.

I hope it works out for the best, for all of them. This is division 1A football. Man out, next in line - step up.

Reaction Score
I was going to post a whole list of filters that I try to use on the Internet, but I'm not the Boneyard police. My personal analysis:

- Young kid came to UConn after being recruited over (the reason doesn't matter).
- He decided to leave for some unimportant reason (homesick, low on the depth chart, Connecticut girls don't wear enough makeup or have big enough hair).

Came to UConn expecting to get with Emily Noonan. Found out she's all mine. Left broken hearted.

Reaction Score
Besides all the OU/Alabama nonsense from his family or friend or whoever, I want to Thank Richard for his dedication, integrity, and his love for Uconn football. He definitely helped in recruiting and social media. Heck he even got me to start a twitter account to follow these young huskies coming in. His family should be proud, and I'm proud to say I will be a Richard Lagow fan for life. Best of luck to you, even if you were around only for a few weeks your forever a Husky! I wish we could have a team of Richards going forward. So long and kick a** wherever you go..

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
So PP who needs to win to keep his job took a quarterback who had offers from Oklahoma and Alabama and buried him on the depth chart to play local kids.

A kid who was BEGGING for offers on signing day. If you want him to ride off into the sunset with dignity not trying to sell nonsense like that is a good start.

Begging? Like you seem to be begging for attention with that post? I respect your opinion because the whole situation does seem odd. All I can say is that I didn't make up anything about his offers from OU and Bama. I got it from someone who would know. Stuff just happened outside of his control which apparently made those schools withdraw their offers. That's a private matter which I'm respecting. It wouldn't be right to go into it on a public forum like this. Besides, it really doesn't matter anymore, does it? And frankly, I don't care if anyone believes me or not. What's done is done and I believe UConn football will survive just fine.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For non- twitter folks - classy.

View attachment 3487
He's kind of the anti-Oriaki. He didn't do much here but he exited with class.

Reading between the lines, he felt as if recruited over and considered not signing, but decided to give it a shot and see how things worked out. I have to respect that.

I wish the kid the best.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Begging? Like you seem to be begging for attention with that post? I respect your opinion because the whole situation does seem odd. All I can say is that I didn't make up anything about his offers from OU and Bama. I got it from someone who would know. Stuff just happened outside of his control which apparently made those schools withdraw their offers. That's a private matter which I'm respecting. It wouldn't be right to go into it on a public forum like this. Besides, it really doesn't matter anymore, does it? And frankly, I don't care if anyone believes me or not. What's done is done and I believe UConn football will survive just fine.

So even though OU and Bama recruiting is covered relentlessly... there is nothing in the media. And he's talented enough to garner those offers but on signing day he put himself on the open market and no one bit. And the issue at UConn is that the coach is under pressure to play local players - ignoring the fact that two of the players ahead of him including the starter aren't local.

But you've got Dude of WV like sources which can't be revealed... yet my post is begging for attention.

Schools generally survive players leaving since they run out of eligibility in four years anyway so I didn't think that was really in question.

Reaction Score
#1 - I wish Richard and the Lagow family all the best. It must have been a tough decision and I hope you land on your feet athletically and academically.

#2 - kudos to John! He has found a way to mention Emily Noonan in at least 9 out of his last 10 posts! I could only wish some players and coaches had that type of dedication! it's become his shtick! In a very creepy way I respect that. :)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wish him the best. Seems like he had some second thoughts on signing day, decided to give it a go and see what happens, then those second thoughts became realized. Too bad he will have to sit a year but I hope he can see it through. Classy departure.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
So even though OU and Bama recruiting is covered relentlessly... there is nothing in the media. And he's talented enough to garner those offers but on signing day he put himself on the open market and no one bit. And the issue at UConn is that the coach is under pressure to play local players - ignoring the fact that two of the players ahead of him including the starter aren't local.

But you've got Dude of WV like sources which can't be revealed... yet my post is begging for attention.

Schools generally survive players leaving since they run out of eligibility in four years anyway so I didn't think that was really in question.

Whaler: First of all, are you serious about saying neither of the two QBs ahead of Richard now are local kids? Where do you think Casey and Tim are from? Come on man, I spent the first 30 yrs of my life in CT , played HS football there, and graduated from UConn, so I think I know where Masuk and Xavier are located.

But seriously, let me ask you a rhetorical question that I think is relevant. I trust you'll answer honestly. If Richard was your son and some things happened to you or your family that affected his future, would you want that discussed all over a public forum? I think not.

But that's all irrelevant now. Richard's a classy kid with a bright future, and he gave his best while he was representing the University of Connecticut, my alma mater's, football team. I respect that very much and wish him and his family well. Time to move on.

Reaction Score

Whaler11...why waste any energy over this topic...Lagow is a good/classy kid who decided to go play somewhere else..which is his right...does it really matter why he decided to leave? We still have more depth at the qb
position than ever before.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler11...why lose your over this topic...Lagow is a good/classy kid who decided to go play somewhere else..which is his right...does it really matter why he decided to leave? We still have more depth at the qb
position than ever before.

I don't care why he left. Why do people come here and post such nonsense about him and then whine when they are challenged.

Reaction Score
I do. Dracula has his head so far up the CT HS coaches assn rear ends so much it would not surprise me for one minute. He is a terrible game coach, way past his prime, and has run this program into the ground. That is a fact. What makes you think He gave RL a fair shot?

How exactly does one determine that a fair shot was not given when a kid leaves after 14 practices?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler: First of all, are you serious about saying neither of the two QBs ahead of Richard now are local kids? Where do you think Casey and Tim are from? Come on man, I spent the first 30 yrs of my life in CT , played HS football there, and graduated from UConn, so I think I know where Masuk and Xavier are located.

But seriously, let me ask you a rhetorical question that I think is relevant. I trust you'll answer honestly. If Richard was your son and some things happened to you or your family that affected his future, would you want that discussed all over a public forum? I think not.

But that's all irrelevant now. Richard's a classy kid with a bright future, and he gave his best while he was representing the University of Connecticut, my alma mater's, football team. I respect that very much and wish him and his family well. Time to move on.

Two of the players are local. Two aren't which is exactly what I wrote.

And for the love of God YOU ARE THE ONE THAT STARTED TELLING 'SECRETS'. Maybe you should ask yourself the rhetorical question - since I'm not criticizing the kid, his family or his decision - I'm just pointing out you are full of .

Reaction Score
Wish him all the best, but he clearly lacks the heart for competition. That was the reason behind he signing day issue....and probably the reason he left. I don't know a lot of people in the program, but I heard both Boyle and Kivon are better than many thought. Not to mention Whit has 2 seasons left and Casey is only going to get better.

Lagow, like all players, probably wants to play now. For what it is worth, I heard he has the goods too. He will do well somewhere.

Reaction Score

1). He said two of the guys ahead of Lagow were not local. Correct statement (Whitmer and the other true frown).

2) Lagow's dad was very comfortable discussing lots of details about his son just five months ago on this very forum.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Hard to say, but I trust his decision and his parents over our coach. Sad, but true. Do you really think this kid got enough reps or was considered under this fool coach's 'play not to lose'. (Certainly not win) philosophy?
Edsall was Rockne compared to him

Reaction Score
Coach p favors ct high school players for qb. The same coach that started a walk on from california and a kid from ga?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The desire for instant gratification is not what drove this decision. That's the furthest thing from the truth. I happen to know first hand, and don't ask me how, that this is as much about Coach P being under pressure to get the top local kids on the team and playing as anything else. And that is not meant as a dis to the local kids, either. Far from it. There is a lot of local talent on the team, including at QB, now and next year.

What many people (maybe all) on this board don't know is that Richard was headed to OU (and was also offered a spot by Saban at Bama) before coming to UConn. I know that's hard to believe because there was little to no press reporting on it. However, I'm personally familiar with the back story as to why he came to UConn and not those two schools. And it had nothing to do with him personally. Richard is an upstanding young man with a lot of football talent. Let's just allow him to ride off into the sunset with the dignity he deserves, and nothing but good wishes for the future.

If this is true (and I have no reason to believe that it isn't) then I am even more disheartened now than at any time during P's short (but also far too long) tenure here. The only pressure that he should be concerned with is pressure to build as good of a program as possible. That a handful of in state coaches whose self importance is at delusional level want their kids placed to the front of the line (and in the past have steered them away from here when they weren't afford such a privilege) is infuriating. This is not Florida and this is not Texas. The overall quality and quantity of our recruits is not sufficient to make a coach yield to such tactics.

I for one cannot wait for the day P gets his walking papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom