Lagow going home... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lagow going home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
when is that dislike link going to be installed?

What part do would you "dislike"? I am not wishing the kid any ill will, but what the hell man? You quit after 3 weeks because you're down the depth chart and away from home? What am I missing here?

Reaction Score
Really sorry to see this but l guess it's not a complete surprise. Darn it, l wanted his dad to try my brisket!

Best of luck Richard, hope you find the right spit and right opportunity.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Kids these damn days want nothing but instant gratification. Either there is something seriously wrong with the program (and I'm not ruling this out), or these kids (Lagow and Cory J) need to be taught that you have to earn things of value in this life. I am disappointed, but glad he quit now instead of later. Two kids that quit the team 3 weeks into camp....shaking my head.
Relax, the sky isn't falling, he can still "earn his place" on another team. Though we pretend otherwise, college football is still a business. This kid has the prerogative to do whatever is in his best interests, just as a regular student has the prerogative to transfer to another school to be closer to their family, or to save money, or for a better opportunity (say, if they switch majors and school X has a better major). We don't call those kids quitters for transferring. Well, at least, I don't.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It was a matter of time one of the QBs would change position or leave. Hard to have 3 QBs with similar physical capabilities all in the same class.

Good luck to Richard. I give him credit for coming to UConn and giving it a shot. His departure tweet is all class and the next school is lucky to have him.

Hopefully he goes somewhere else and tears it up!

junglehusky

Reaction Score
In another tidbit, likely related to Lagow's scholarship being freed up, there's this from Silver's blog:

The Huskies do have several players headed to prep school. Don’t be surprised if another scholarship player comes in similar to Mike Boland last week.
I think this is Silver making an educated guess rather than an off-the-record comment, since the Horde was saying the staff was unavailable to comment (re: the Lagow tweet) during the afternoon due to practice.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Kids these damn days want nothing but instant gratification. Either there is something seriously wrong with the program (and I'm not ruling this out), or these kids (Lagow and Cory J) need to be taught that you have to earn things of value in this life. I am disappointed, but glad he quit now instead of later. Two kids that quit the team 3 weeks into camp....shaking my head.
I think you are off base, Jax. The numbers were what they were- whoever was at the bottom of a stacked heap had no other option but to transfer if he wanted to play. He was UConn through and through and saw his commitment through when it wouldn't have been shocking if he didn't. Sometimes that's life, and that doesn't make him a quitter at all. He'll transfer, work on his game, see the field, and hopefully succeed.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
The desire for instant gratification is not what drove this decision. That's the furthest thing from the truth. I happen to know first hand, and don't ask me how, that this is as much about Coach P being under pressure to get the top local kids on the team and playing as anything else. And that is not meant as a dis to the local kids, either. Far from it. There is a lot of local talent on the team, including at QB, now and next year.

What many people (maybe all) on this board don't know is that Richard was headed to OU (and was also offered a spot by Saban at Bama) before coming to UConn. I know that's hard to believe because there was little to no press reporting on it. However, I'm personally familiar with the back story as to why he came to UConn and not those two schools. And it had nothing to do with him personally. Richard is an upstanding young man with a lot of football talent. Let's just allow him to ride off into the sunset with the dignity he deserves, and nothing but good wishes for the future.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Relax, the sky isn't falling, he can still "earn his place" on another team. Though we pretend otherwise, college football is still a business. This kid has the prerogative to do whatever is in his best interests, just as a regular student has the prerogative to transfer to another school to be closer to their family, or to save money, or for a better opportunity (say, if they switch majors and school X has a better major). We don't call those kids quitters for transferring. Well, at least, I don't.

No, but you'd like to see a kid at least give it a legitimate shot. He and Cory J cost UConn 2 scholarships that could have been used on others that were going to stick it out more than 3 weeks before deciding the grass is greener. Agreed that the kid absolutely should follow their best interest, but how could he even know yet what is best? Really, it has been 3 weeks.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Am I wrong, I thought a transferring player doesnt count against UConn's scholly limit if the player leaves the program before the first game?

Reaction Score
CRAP! (bummer):mad::(:( absolutely LOVED this kid.. his enthusiasm and desire to play the position... Thought a redshirt year would've put him in a better spot for 2014... better than the others.. Nonetheless, his decision is made.. Wish him nothing but the best... a classy kid, who, I'm sure is gonna blow up whereever he ends up....

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
The desire for instant gratification is not what drove this decision. That's the furthest thing from the truth. I happen to know first hand, and don't ask me how, that this is as much about Coach P being under pressure to get the top local kids on the team and playing as anything else. And that is not meant as a dis to the local kids, either. Far from it. There is a lot of local talent on the team, including at QB, now and next year.

What many people (maybe all) on this board don't know is that Richard was headed to OU (and was also offered a spot by Saban at Bama) before coming to UConn. I know that's hard to believe because there was little to no press reporting on it. However, I'm personally familiar with the back story as to why he came to UConn and not those two schools. And it had nothing to do with him personally. Richard is an upstanding young man with a lot of football talent. Let's just allow him to ride off into the sunset with the dignity he deserves, and nothing but good wishes for the future.

I wish the kid nothing but the best, just pointing out that these transfers from incoming freshman that happen to be far down the depth chart are disappointing. Are you really suggesting that Coach P is under more pressure to play local kids than he is to win games? I don't buy that.

I won't comment on the other parts of your thread, but if the kid really wanted to be at OU or Bama and had a legitimate offer, why'd he end up at UConn?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
No, but you'd like to see a kid at least give it a legitimate shot. He and Cory J cost UConn 2 scholarships that could have been used on others that were going to stick it out more than 3 weeks before deciding the grass is greener. Agreed that the kid absolutely should follow their best interest, but how could he even know yet what is best? Really, it has been 3 weeks.
By the way here's part of Cory J's statement (via the Ramblings blog):

I am nothing but grateful for such a wonderful opportunity, however, bottom line, I have to be 110% in it, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I cannot take a full scholarship away from another player who can be committed 110%. I want to be fair to everyone involved, the team, the coaches and myself.
They brought in Boland from prep after CJ left. If you want to decry the practice of oversigning and stocking kids in prep, that's a valid point to argue. But to fault the kid's character for doing something that's entirely in the rules and practices of the business is overly harsh IMO.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I wish the kid nothing but the best, just pointing out that these transfers from incoming freshman that happen to be far down the depth chart are disappointing. Are you really suggesting that Coach P is under more pressure to play local kids than he is to win games? I don't buy that.

I won't comment on the other parts of your thread, but if the kid really wanted to be at OU or Bama and had a legitimate offer, why'd he end up at UConn?
Being under pressure to play top local talent and winning games are not necessarily mutually exclusive. we have a lot of local QB talent on the team. And I already said I wouldn't comment on why he ended up at UConn because it serves no purpose now.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
By the way here's part of Cory J's statement (via the Ramblings blog):

They brought in Boland from prep after CJ left. If you want to decry the practice of oversigning and stocking kids in prep, that's a valid point to argue. But to fault the kid's character for doing something that's entirely in the rules and practices of the business is overly harsh IMO.

Did Boland get a scholarship? If he got Cory's scholly, then yes I am partly off base. The point still stands though, that we coul;d have potentially recruited a more talented kid.

Every program faces attrition, so I have not issue with people leaving the program. I just have a hard time understanding how someone, after just 3 weeks on the team, just decides the depth chart is too deep. Anyway, I've said my piece. Best of luck to both kids!

Reaction Score
I was going to post a whole list of filters that I try to use on the Internet, but I'm not the Boneyard police. My personal analysis:

- Young kid came to UConn after being recruited over (the reason doesn't matter).
- He decided to leave for some unimportant reason (homesick, low on the depth chart, Connecticut girls don't wear enough makeup or have big enough hair).
- No reports of him misbehaving or otherwise tarnishing my alma mater's reputation or academic standing.
- The position he left has at least three legit options for up to 5 years.

Doesn't sound like he did anything wrong. I looked to transfer after a strong freshman year academically. I didn't, but the finance program would've been fine without me (probably better off bc it was all down hill after that).

Good luck Richard. I'll always root for you to be one step less than the current UConn starter. If that means Boyle is on his way to being an early first rounder, I hope Lagow is right behind him. If our QBs suck... Well you get the picture.

Reaction Score
I wish the very best to Richard and his family. I hope he finds the right place for him and excels.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

So it would have been better if it was 4 weeks?

Reaction Score

I don't really understand how a kid with offers from OU and Bama can't outperform Boyle/Taylor for 3rd string QB. Or heck, even Cochran or Whitmer at that point.

So you're telling me that you expect me to take you, at your word, that Pasqualoni is under more pressure to make sure local kids like Boyle and Cochran play QB rather than, say, play a more talented QB with offers from OU and Bama and actually win football games?

That doesn't sound entirely plausible to me.

Either way I wish the best to Mr. Lagow and his future as a QB wherever he lands. Nice kid, class act.

Reaction Score
I don't buy this "pressure to play local kids" for a minute.

GEEZ ... we've been 5-7. Do you think if we go 6-6, Warde Manual gives an extra bonus point for playing a local or moving Cochran or Boyle above Lagow? That's garbage.

Reaction Score
I don't really understand how a kid with offers from OU and Bama can't outperform Boyle/Taylor for 3rd string QB. Or heck, even Cochran or Whitmer at that point.

So you're telling me that you expect me to take you, at your word, that Pasqualoni is under more pressure to make sure local kids like Boyle and Cochran play QB rather than, say, play a more talented QB with offers from OU and Bama and actually win football games?

That doesn't sound entirely plausible to me.

Either way I wish the best to Mr. Lagow and his future as a QB wherever he lands. Nice kid, class act.

I would think with the pressure P is under the kid could be from any state (or country for that matter). He needs to win PERIOD.

While a kid from CT helps local recruiting I don't think P could just dismiss a better player because he is from another state.

P will play the best kid-his job depends on it.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to the Lagow's!

I have to believe someone will be taking the scholarship, maybe Britton?

I think this increases the chances that they try to redshirt Boyle, it would be foolish to give him minutes against Towson only to bench him the rest of the year like Samra last year. I would think Boyle only plays if Whitmer gets injured, then again Marshi might give the staff confidence that they don't need to redshirt Boyle.

I think this has as much to do with with Logan Marshi as it does with Boyle. Logan is very talented too and we had a major logjam at QB. Someone had to go so depth could be added to another position.

Reaction Score
You guys dont have to believe me if you dont want to, but I have good information saying that Richard actually accepted the opportunity to fly an F18 over The Rent during the National Anthem for the Michigan game. He is entering the Top Gun school and should be done in 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
Not one of us (no matter how much we THINK we know) knows what happened in terms of the kid leaving. It's pure speculation. It could be for a variety of reasons.

Secondly, the notion that P is under pressure to recruit and play local kids is one of the most bizarre things I have read on the BY. No offense cttxus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom