Lagow back in the fold... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lagow back in the fold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congrats to Richard Lagow for sticking with UCONN. Welcome to the UCONN FB family!

Btw, good thing I took Chem 127 as a college acceleration course while I was still in high school. Frankly, I can't remember a thing I learned back in the days.

Richard should avoid Chem 127 if possible.

Reaction Score
You bring up what was (and apparently still is) one of the biggest problems with chemistry at large universities; TA's and their language barrier. It seems to be part of their stipend that they need to teach courses, but without a mastery of the English language, having them teach the undergraduate students is performing a great disservice to the paying undergrad students. At the very least, the TA's that teach the courses should not be first or second year PhD students, but rather, third and fourth year students that have had a couple of years of speaking English under their belts and some more maturity in order to become effective teachers.

Teaching is a trade, not a pastime. It's not "filler", nor should it be treated as such to kids who are paying over $1,800 per 3 credit course. And it's not just UConn, it's everywhere unfortunately...

Agree

Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying about some students being lazy. However, I can tell you that the TA's I had in my freshman and sophomore years in chemistry were BRUTAL when it came to the English language. I specifically remember a Chinese TA who struggled to piece five words of English together, and a Russian TA who's accent was so heavy and grammar was so poor that it made it near impossible to carry on without a "do it yourself" attitude. Keep in mind that I speak three languages and I am the son of immigrants, so I understand a "heavy accent." It also doesn't help that they are trying to teach Chemistry, which in and of itself, is another language altogether with its own symbols and rules.

I'll grant you that the fact there seem to be more people in the U.S. than any other country who only speak one language and who are intolerant of others who can't speak English well. However, the large universities have a lot of work to do when it comes to the use of foreign students teaching courses at an appropriate English level. The undergrads aren't there for free; they are all paying good money to be taught something...

Dan,
My experience was similar to yours. Mine was many decades ago, in the old chem building, with Chinese TAs and was " brutal" as well. I disagree with Jungle whose explanation does not validate a very real problem which unfortunately appears to be as relevant today as it was in my time at UConn.

My son would concur. He is also a UConn alum,BS, MS in engineering, is currently in Switzerland in his final year on PhD (artificial intel), who also speaks 4 languages.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
@RichardLagow: one of the biggest days of my life. with the most important people in my life. http://post original url/Fo28pFRJ

Hey! Richard Lagow is sitting next to a Boneyarder! ;) (I kid...I kid...)

I like that the whole family is decked out in UConn gear. That's pretty cool...

Reaction Score
Dan,
My experience was similar to yours. Mine was many decades ago, in the old chem building, with Chinese TAs and was " brutal" as well. I disagree with Jungle whose explanation does not validate a very real problem which unfortunately appears to be as relevant today as it was in my time at UConn.

My son would concur. He is also a UConn alum,BS, MS in engineering, is currently in Switzerland in his final year on PhD (artificial intel), who also speaks 4 languages.

I had a bad one for calc. Took me 15 minutes one day to make her understand that nobody can read if she writes on the whiteboard with a yellow marker.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I had a bad one for calc. Took me 15 minutes one day to make her understand that nobody can read if she writes on the whiteboard with a yellow marker.

Me too. Korean I think. I am hearing impaired and I don't think I understood a word she said. She didn't say much anyway, just wrote stuff on a blackboard (with chalk). This was 1985. Got me a nice F. Took again with a real prof an got a B+.

All irrelevant to Richard Lagow, who I hope has a great experience at UConn. Looking forward to seeing him on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom