"LadyVol" name is kaput next year...except for | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"LadyVol" name is kaput next year...except for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think as far as branding goes it's more confusing having the women's bb team continue to be the Lady Vols, while all the other women's sports are now just the Vols, than it would be to just leave them all as Lady Vols. Makes more sense to me that this exception was done for the sake of $$ donations, like the posted USA Today article says, than "to honor Pat's legacy."

Also, regarding the USC Gamecocks, to me the whole cockfighting reference is more of a concern than whether the women's teams are called the Lady Gamecocks, or Gamehens - whatever. (My daughter is a Clemson alum - I won't tell you what she calls them :D )

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I think as far as branding goes it's more confusing having the women's bb team continue to be the Lady Vols, while all the other women's sports are now just the Vols, than it would be to just leave them all as Lady Vols. Makes more sense to me that this exception was done for the sake of donations, like the posted USA Today article says, than "to honor Pat's legacy."

Also, regarding the USC Gamecocks, to me the whole cockfighting reference is more of a concern than whether the women's teams are called the Lady Gamecocks, or Gamehens - whatever. (My daughter is a Clemson alum - I won't tell you what she calls them :D )

Makes me wonder if the decision to allow the Bball team to retain the Lady Vols name is being done by the UT administration as a temporary measure and that in a few years, the term Lady will be dropped here as well.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Were the female Gamecocks ever called the Game Hens? They really should become gender neutral and change their mascot to the Game Birds. Thank you for raising my awareness Reno Tony.
In the early days they were called the "Chicks" and then that was quickly changed to "Lady Gamecocks". They've been simply "Gamecocks" for at least 20 years. "Gamecock" is not just a reference to a fighting rooster, one of the most famous South Carolina generals during the Revolutionary War was Thomas Sumter, who was nicknamed, "The Gamecock". FTR, I don't think the mascots themselves need to be gender neutral, but adding "Lady" to the front of a nickname just seems old fashioned to me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think as far as branding goes it's more confusing having the women's bb team continue to be the Lady Vols, while all the other women's sports are now just the Vols, than it would be to just leave them all as Lady Vols. Makes more sense to me that this exception was done for the sake of donations, like the posted USA Today article says, than "to honor Pat's legacy."

LOL, that's ok, we have some perjorative names for them, too. As far as the cockfighting reference, see my post above for the rest of the story.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
were the Huskies ever called the LADY Huskies... pre-Geno?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Three factoids:
1. As far as the Lady in Lady Vols, it could be worse. At Centennial in Louisiana the teams are the Gentlemen and the Ladies, and at Kenyon in OH, it's the Lords and the Ladies. Best use of the term is for Washburn U. in KS, which has Lady Blues, which has a Billie Holiday feel to it.
2. First servicewomen in the US military, were the Lady Yeomen of WW1. Oberlin has the Yeomen and Yeowomen, so maybe they should pick up the Lady Yeomen term as like the Lady Volunteers it has patriotic war service connotations.
3. Unrelated, but I just read that Rocky Top was written in 10 minutes. I would have assumed that a masterpiece like that would have taken at least twice that long.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Three factoids:
1. As far as the Lady in Lady Vols, it could be worse. At Centennial in Louisiana the teams are the Gentlemen and the Ladies, and at Kenyon in OH, it's the Lords and the Ladies. Best use of the term is for Washburn U. in KS, which has Lady Blues, which has a Billie Holiday feel to it.
2. First servicewomen in the US military, were the Lady Yeomen of WW1. Oberlin has the Yeomen and Yeowomen, so maybe they should pick up the Lady Yeomen term as like the Lady Volunteers it has patriotic war service connotations.
3. Unrelated, but I just read that Rocky Top was written in 10 minutes. I would have assumed that a masterpiece like that would have taken at least twice that long.

These were the authors:

1917022_165462182350_1675666_n.jpg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Oddly enough, someone on one of the Gamecock message boards posted this link from SI today.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/11/south-carolina-team-traditions

Reaction Score

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well I'm sure it's comforting to know that, after the Yankee animal rights activists finally get you to abandon "Gamecacks", you always have "College Boys" to fall back on. ( Will Dawn's team be the "Lady College Boys"?)

FYI, I'm a Yankee, too. (A Met, actually, I hate Yankees entitlement)

Reaction Score
Well I'm sure it's comforting to know that, after the Yankee animal rights activists finally get you to abandon "Gamecacks", you always have "College Boys" to fall back on. ( Will Dawn's team be the "Lady College Boys"?)
I'm hearing the name to replace Gamecocks is the Vicks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom